What Are You Doing?!?!?!... What are you thinking?!?!?!

Count me in the group that thinks that the defense has played well this season.  Now I have high expectations for this unit, but also realistic ones.  I think they have clearly taken a step.  I think they have kept this team in some games while the offense was figuring some things out, but Monday... :bang::argh:... it felt like one step forward, two steps back.  Hopefully we're all still flushed with the joy of victory, a great victory in a tough place to play, but there was a lot wrong with that defensive performance Monday night from communication, to missed reads, to just poor fundamentals.

I wanna take a look at a few plays that me gritting my teeth.

PLAY #1 - Anyone remember from the Miami game down near the goal line were Miami ran an orbit motion with Jarvis Landry?  Remember how he showed reverse then stopped in his tracks, turned and ran the other way and walked into the end zone?  Well, guess what Seattle decided to try on Atlanta Monday night?  You guessed it.

IMG_3119

Now let me say this... I got no idea wtf happened, as in it broke down so bad, and by so many of our guys, I barely have an idea who was supposed to do what.  What I can tell is that it looked like a Cover-1 call.  Seattle motioned into a bunch.  That's where everything went FUBAR.

You can see Neal gesturing.  Now this is just my guess, but it looks like he might have been switching something off as in Deion was the RAT and now maybe Keanu is telling him he's now the RAT... IDK

IMG_3119

At the snap, Russell play-actions.  Poole and Alf take their men.  That looks like the only thing that went right.  For a moment is looks like Deion had the back in man, but then he backed off like he was in zone.  Neal just stands there after it's clear it's pass and it looks like he's playing the RAT too.  Desmond... I got no idea what Desmond is going, he turns and sprints all the way across the field like he had the tight end in coverage, but that doesn't make a God's bit of sense.

IMG_3120

You can see Tyler Lockett faking the orbit motion and turning around.  Meanwhile, Desmond, the guy who would have been in best position to stop him is going in the other direction.  

IMG_3121

You know what happened from there.  Ugly football.  Terrible communication.  And I would just chalk it up to the game if this wasn't a play-type they had seen before.

giphy.gif

MISREAD KEYS:

Deion's my guy.  But this was one of the most inconsistent games I've seen him play this year.  Looked like some of the stuff he was doing early last year before he got his feet under him.

This is a simple inside zone play.  Nothing tricky at all about it.  You just read your key, which are the guards to the near back and come downhill.  

Why are you backing up Deion?  What are doing?  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??!?!

giphy.gif

FALSE STEPS ARE EVIL.  They are one of the big no-no's for a linebacker.  You take false steps any direction, you're dead.  That one step back is all that play needed to pop.  Center climbed right to him with no problem.

Linebackers, take your read step at the snap, diagnose the play, then react.  You'd rather your linebacker be a beat late than to take himself out of a play like this.

giphy.gif

SPIES:

Let's talk about these spies, because they stunk the joint out Monday night.  And everybody took turns: Vic had a couple misses, then it was Deion, DeVondre got a bit...

Although in this play, DeVondre wasn't really the spy here.  Looked like he had curl/flat, but the man he was reading stayed in to block so he feathered the line of scrimmage.  Still, this is a bit embarrassing for a guy I think has been the most consisten player on the defense this season.  Looked completely like a NAF on this play.

:lol: really, DeVondre?  Bet the film session on this one was fun.  Bet they had jokes for days.

giphy.gif

SPIES:

There is a delicate art to spying.  There are a couple of techniques I've seen, but the main one that's universal is, patience.  You don't give yourself up. You are not a pass rusher, you do not give yourself up by pressing the line of scrimmage.  If you do, you better make d@** sure you get there.

This is 3rd and 12 btw.  You're a top 10 defense, it's all but automatic that you get off the field here.  You definitely don't let the quarterback run for it.

First thing Vic does wrong is he presses the LOS of scrimmage right at the snap.  That allows the offensive linemen to block you.  Linemen are only allowed to block right in that 1 yard area (give or take).  He rushes the line almost like he's green dogging, then pauses and tries to spy one yard into the backfield.  Pretty much did the line's job for them.  Totally just allowed himself to get eaten up.

giphy.gif

VIC, WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'?  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

SPIES:

thstht  This is the one that about gave me a heart attack.  Last drive of the game.  

Deion effs up just like Vic did.  He pressed the LOS.  Then it looked like he just decided to shoot his shot and go after Russ.  Looks like that's exactly what Russ was waiting for.  When Deion disappeared from the middle of the field, his eyes probably lit up like a christmas tree.  Deion got eaten up and Russ stepped up.  Kudos for the hustle and getting back into the play to make the shoe-string tackle, but once again, this isn't how it's done.

If you're spying, you feather the line of scrimmage and mirror the quarterback.  You don't pursue or attack until he attacks the LOS.

Eww I was cussin' when I saw this.  All kind of mother****ers and dumb@**es.  I just knew them sumb***es was gonna blow the game after this.  And I'm an optimist.

giphy.gif

DEION, WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'?  WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN"?!?!?!

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

SPIES:

thstht  This is the one that about gave me a heart attack.  Last drive of the game.  

Deion effs up just like Vic did.  He pressed the LOS.  Then it looked like he just decided to shoot his shot and go after Russ.  Looks like that's exactly what Russ was waiting for.  When Deion disappeared from the middle of the field, his eyes probably lit up like a christmas tree.  Deion got eaten up and Russ stepped up.  Kudos for the hustle and getting back into the play to make the shoe-string tackle, but once again, this isn't how it's done.

If you're spying, you feather the line of scrimmage and mirror the quarterback.  You don't pursue or attack until he attacks the LOS.

Eww I was cussin' was I saw this.  All kind of mother****ers and dumb@**es.  I just knew them sumb***es was gonna blow the game after this.  And I'm an optimist.

giphy.gif

DEION, WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'?  WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN"?!?!?!

I was fkn screaming like no other.. even i knew he fkd that up the second he pressed i was like nooooooo wtf whyyyyyyy

Great stuff as usual, PMF.

For us to make playoffs, Our LBers have to play more consistent and disciplined than they have so far this year. Upcoming Saints and panthers games especially. We caught a break playing Dallas with no LT and no Zeke and Seattle with no RB and a shell of their defense.  Won’t be so easy going forward.

All this coming off of playing Cam Newton and Dak Prescott. We've had a history of struggling with mobile QBs even prior to Quinn's arrival. Open question to the board: did we scheme Wilson appropriately and just failed to execute or do we have a philosophical issue in dealing with mobile Qbs? The above gifs PMF provided leads me to believe were just a young defense making young men mistakes. 

And last but not least.  Does anyone remember Dallas's first touchdown?  Dak rolling out and Keanu and Deion running with the same man, leaving the QB clear to pretty much walk into the end zone?

Well...

giphy.gif

They call it a copycat league for a reason.  Them two dummies did the SAME thing again...

DEION WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'?  WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN'?

Ok now to be fair, it was man.  He has the RB in so he has to run with him.  The play-call just doesnt' look like it was equipped to deal with the 11th man, as most defenses are really designed to defend 10 men.  Dak beat them on a broken play.  Seattle took things a step further and actually designed a QB run off a heavy goalline package which is very unusual.

In fact, this whole game was unusual.  I've watched every Seattle game this year.  Their offense is simple.  They'll throw a trick play out there, but there's not a whole lot of creativity or sophistication to their stuff.  They just execute.  Similar line of thought to how they play defense, but man, they were pulling out all the stops Monday.  There was all kinds of misdirection, motions, etc.

In a way I take that as a compliment.  

32 minutes ago, Chi City Falcon said:

All this coming off of playing Cam Newton and Dak Prescott. We've had a history of struggling with mobile QBs even prior to Quinn's arrival. Open question to the board: did we scheme Wilson appropriately and just failed to execute or do we have a philosophical issue in dealing with mobile Qbs? The above gifs PMF provided leads me to believe were just a young defense making young men mistakes. 

I don’t think it’s a mobile qb thing as much as it is consistency of our LBers. We handled Dak just fine. I think we have mobile QB Rodgers number as well. 

This year especially, Wilson is making  everyone look foolish, my man. He’s playing out of his mind.

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

MISREAD KEYS:

Deion's my guy.  But this was one of the most inconsistent games I've seen him play this year.  Looked like some of the stuff he was doing early last year before he got his feet under him.

This is a simple inside zone play.  Nothing tricky at all about it.  You just read your key, which are the guards to the near back and come downhill.  

Why are you backing up Deion?  What are doing?  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??!?!

giphy.gif

FALSE STEPS ARE EVIL.  They are one of the big no-no's for a linebacker.  You take false steps any direction, you're dead.  That one step back is all that play needed to pop.  Center climbed right to him with no problem.

Linebackers, take your read step at the snap, diagnose the play, then react.  You'd rather your linebacker be a beat late than to take himself out of a play like this.

giphy.gif

Hey, can't forget Deion bluffing two weeks straight on spy assignments, and giving up two TDs. 1 to Prescott and 1 to Wilson.

I wondered if on the spying this was the plan (because it happened so frequently)...to do a modified spy, where you spy early in the down, and then commit to pressure if the QB has extra time in the pocket.  Pressure the side that is most open, so he has to run back into pressure.

The theory of that is sound, but Wilson ate it up if that was the plan.  The gaps were too wide in the non open lane side for that to truly work.

We'll see.  In general, I'd prefer for them to commit before giving him 8 seconds in the pocket, but in this case our DL was getting home enough that the spies could have stayed in spy position.

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

SPIES:

There is a delicate art to spying.  There are a couple of techniques I've seen, but the main one that's universal is, patience.  You don't give yourself up. You are not a pass rusher, you do not give yourself up by pressing the line of scrimmage.  If you do, you better make d@** sure you get there.

This is 3rd and 12 btw.  You're a top 10 defense, it's all but automatic that you get off the field here.  You definitely don't let the quarterback run for it.

First thing Vic does wrong is he presses the LOS of scrimmage right at the snap.  That allows the offensive linemen to block you.  Linemen are only allowed to block right in that 1 yard area (give or take).  He rushes the line almost like he's green dogging, then pauses and tries to spy one yard into the backfield.  Pretty much did the line's job for them.  Totally just allowed himself to get eaten up.

giphy.gif

VIC, WHAT ARE YOU DOIN'?  WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

To be fair Clayborn gets blocked in the back not once but twice here.

24 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Don't really see that block in the back called between linemen behind the LOS and it wouldn't have been an issue if Vic played the technique correctly. 

Sure Vic should have played better, but the one  where Clayborn is pushed from behind and falls before Wilson takes off, could have been flagged.

Clayborn had his man beat by a mile. Any other QB and that's a sack. I can't wait to see what they do to Fitz this week.

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Sure Vic should have played better, but the one  where Clayborn is pushed from behind and falls before Wilson takes off, could have been flagged.

Absolutely. Totally agree but hey I can't count the number of times I've seen that kind of block behind the LOS not called. 

Really i can't remember at all the last time I've seen a few call a block in the back between two linemen.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

I don’t think it’s a mobile qb thing as much as it is consistency of our LBers. We handled Dak just fine. I think we have mobile QB Rodgers number as well. 

This year especially, Wilson is making  everyone look foolish, my man. He’s playing out of his mind.

Actually, this year we are not playing smart situatuonal football what Dan Quinn has got them trained for. 

All these breakdowns ...seem to be mental lapses...lack of lasered focus on your task with gifted skill sets - instincts.

We honestly,  lack that on defense and special teams thats why we see all these blown leads game after game, season after season.