Quinn addresses why team parted ways with Jalen Collins

Goober Pyle

Bedwetter article

http://www.myajc.com/sports/football/quinn-addresses-why-team-parted-ways-with-jalen-collins/m3vne1cCKfcbOF1m5iwHEL/

The play of the secondary was a factor in the Falcons decision to waive former second round pick Jalen Collins on Tuesday, coach Dan Quinn said.

“We made the best decision for the team,” Quinn said. “We went through the whole process. We wanted to make sure that we took all the time that we needed.”

Upon returning from Seattle, Quinn meet with general manager Thomas Dimitroff over Collins’ status. He was suspended for 10 games for using performance enhancing drugs. He was also suspended for four games at the outset of the 2016 season. 

“Thomas and I stated back in August that we were going to take all of the time and we certainly did to make that decisions,” Quinn said. “That was in the best interest of the team in this situation and that’s what we decided to do.”

The Falcons have five cornerbacks in the roster.

“That’s what we decided to do and we knew that we had all the time to do that,” Quinn said. “We thought we’d gather all of the info that we wanted. But at the end of the day we always want to do what’s right for the team. At this point, that was the best decision for us.”

Starters Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford are playing well along with nickel back Brian Poole. Fourth cornerback C.J. Goodwin is starting to play in some dime situations and they also have Blidi Wreh-Wilson, who’s been inactive for six games.

Goodwin played 13 snaps (18 percent) of the defensive snaps against Seattle.  

“For us, we didn’t feel that it was necessary for us to make any additional moves in that regard,” Quinn said. “We are happy with the guys in terms on how they are competing and battling for it. That’s why we felt it was best interest for the team to keep playing like we are.”

Collins was able to return to practice this week after serving a 10-game suspension for his second violation of the NFL’s performance-enhancing substance policy.

Collins’ suspension was announced during training camp in early August. Before his suspension was announced, when the Falcons knew the upcoming penalty, Collins worked with the third-team defense.

Collins, who was suspended without pay, was taken in the second round by the Falcons in the 2015 NFL Draft. He played in 24 games with eight starts over two years. Last season, he recorded two interceptions and 31 total tackles – 28 solo, and 10 passes defensed. 

With Trufant out  he started for the Falcons in Super Bowl LI.

Collins could be claimed off waivers by 4 p.m. or he could clear waivers and be available to other teams as a free agent. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good coaching decesion by Quinn, he is standing behind the players who are
keepin cleen and working hard in the absense of Collins.

Had Collins been out with an injury it would be a different story.

So yeah,, I just complimented Dan Quinn........must be the perco kicking in.

Just now, gazoo said:

I respect his decision but vehemently disagree with it.

Collins was dynamite last year after Trufant went down and helped us get to the Super Bowl. CBs with that size and skill set are very hard to find.

Skill set? Someone with stiff hips and can't turn their head around? Gets lost in coverages and loses focus often?

Gotcha!!!

19 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Skill set? Someone with stiff hips and can't turn their head around? Gets lost in coverages and loses focus often?

Gotcha!!!

we can't act like he didn't help us get to the super bowl tho. He played well for a CB in his second season. Also everything you just said can be said about nearly every cb in the league at times. Someone's gonna pick up a good young cb 

26 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Collins was dynamite last year after Trufant went down and helped us get to the Super Bowl. CBs with that size and skill set are very hard to find.

I liked him too but the message has been sent by our coach so at least there's that, I guess

I like Collins alot and believe that he helped us reach the Super Bowl but I am 100 percent okay with this decision. He didn't uphold the standard and he wasn't accountable and this is what happens. If he goes elsewhere and plays well, that'll be unfortunate but it won't make this the wrong decision. It might be the thing he needs to wake him up. Like Cris Carter or Brett Favre 

Sometimes its more than just on the field, this sends a message to the remaining DB's that are there each week, they are counting on you to make it happen. Pretty sure if there was a glaring weakness they would done something else. That said its Quinn's team still got enough currency from last year,that ain't going to be to critical of every move the guy makes. Lets see how it plays out.

Personally, If he seemed really sincere about straightening his act out, I would have given him one more chance. The guy, IMHO, had possibly a really high ceiling and could very well have given the team a great corner for a number of years. I do understand, but was bummed to hear of their decision.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Agreed. All That plus Goodwin + Wreh-Wilson stink.

32 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. All That plus Goodwin + Wreh-Wilson stink.

Maybe the fact that we have Kazee now makes them believe that position is covered.

Collins looked to really regress after the Superbowl and only 3 seasons in he has already been suspended multiple times.

Good riddance.

15 minutes ago, athell said:

Maybe the fact that we have Kazee now makes them believe that position is covered.

Collins looked to really regress after the Superbowl and only 3 seasons in he has already been suspended multiple times.

Good riddance.

I’ve never ever been a Collins fan, my LSU source told me after we drafted him he was such a PITA at LSU, so very immature. And yes, He did stink it up in preseason.

But who knows about Kazee if suddenly thrown in that role? If up to me....(which thank god for all concerned it’s not!)....i would have kept Collins on till end of season in case someone got hurt.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

Bro you need to go back and watch some tape. Start with the Super Bowl game. After that one I was hoping we'd never see him again.