5. Mike Meyers K

Free Agent Targets:

1. Aaron Colvin CB

2. Marquis Flowers LB

3. Tommy Bohanon FB

4. Shamar Stevens DT

Team Cuts:

1. Andy Levitre OG (After June 1st)

Round 1: Billy Price OG (Ohio State)- We are weaker here than any position along the defensive front.  Only thing we need up front defensively is depth really, more solid bodies. Since his rookie year, Matt is at his best when the offense is balanced and is able to incorporate play action. We need to run the ball with more consistency. Matt is also a QB who has to have a clean pocket. With a clean pocket his as good as Tom Brady, without a clean pocket his performance drops tremendously. My early opinion, strengthening the offensive front is top priority this offseason. Billy Price fits perfectly within our zone scheme.

Round 2: Will Hernandez OG (Texas El Paso)- He's not a screaming candidate for a ZBS as far as just flat out walling off defenders. But if you watch the tape and think purely of is he capable of the lateral movement needed and reaches needed then you will see he really does fit here.  He's not a pure zone blocking guard, he can fit in any scheme really. Don't look at his weight or measurements, can he move can he run and the answer is yes.

Round 3: Aikeem Coleman DT/DE  (Idaho)- This basically a better version of what Courtney Upshaw brings to our team. He would be able to play inside or out given the situation but inside he would add to our pass rush tremendously. Our D-line is just as much about depth as it is about talent. We have a heavy rotation there. So heavy that if you really pay attention, the only real starter out of the entire D-line is Grady Jarrett. 

Round 4: Brandon Powell WR (Florida)-  A big play threat on a very bad offensive team. He probably rockets up the boards after the combine. With Gabrielle probably demanding more money than we can give him he can compete for his spot. His primary role would be in the kick return game.

Round 6: Lowell Lotulelei DT (Utah)- Yes, he will fall this far in my opinion. Don't go by his last name, he is a extremely technically sound player inside. I love the way he uses his hands, but he's not consistent and against legit competition you can see the limitations in his game. Because when he's bad, he's really bad but when he's good, he's really good, he would fit best in a place where he plays limited snaps a game. He would be a great rotational piece here as a 3. To illustrate my point I put 2 tapes of him on here.

Round 7: Brandon Lingen TE (Minnesota)- I'm thinking with Sark we are going to incorporate more running than Shanahan in the future. This will most likely involve more heavy sets, depending on the down, distance, and circumstances he could either go with extra O-lineman or extra tight ends. He is a legit move tight end with enough size to develop into a better blocker. He already has good hands and surprisingly he is a decent route runner considering he's at Minnesota.

Offense:

WR: Jones,   Hardy

LT: Matthews, Sambrailo

LG: Price, Harlow

C: Mack, Price

RG: Hernandez, Schweitzer

RT: Schraeder, Sambrailo

TE: Hooper, Toilolo, Saubert, Lingen

WR: Sanu, Powell, Hall

QB: Ryan, Schaub

RB: Freeman, Coleman, Ward

FB: Bohanan

Defense:

DE: Reed, Clayborn

DT: Poe, Stevens, Rubin

DT: Jarrett, ColemanLotulelei

DE: McKinley, Crawford, Shelby 

LB: Beasley, Reynolds

LB: Jones, Flowers

LB: Campbell, Riley, Ismael

CB: Alford, Colvin, Goodwin

CB: Trufant, Poole

S: Allen, Kazee, Mauger

S: Neal, Neasman, 

Special Teams:

K: Meyer

KO: Bosher

P: Bosher

KR: Powell

PR: Powell

LS: Harris

H: Bosher

Edited by datchrisb1

52 minutes ago, Ga_spider said:

I’m not sure if i want two rookie guards staring next year. 

Yea, that is reasonable to worry about something like that. That being said, starting positions aren't giving they are earned. Levitre being cut after June 1st would indicate that Price showed great promise and won the LG starting role, and Hernandez starting over our current starting RG says the same. Yea, 2 rookie guards is kind of scary but positions are not given they are earned.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 11:55 AM, datchrisb1 said:

Yea, that is reasonable to worry about something like that. That being said, starting positions aren't giving they are earned. Levitre being cut after June 1st would indicate that Price showed great promise and won the LG starting role, and Hernandez starting over our current starting RG says the same. Yea, 2 rookie guards is kind of scary but positions are not given they are earned.

I like a lot of it, but I think this is the year the FO needs to consider what direction they are going with the DL...

Here are my thoughts for the team going into off-season:

Offensive Backfield & QB

Ryan & Schaub are back next season (maybe an extension for Ryan, but not as lucrative if after last year)

Freeman, Coleman are back, but we do need to look for a RB (most likely UDFA or late round)

Wide Receivers & TEs

Julio and Sanu are the #1 and #2 for the next 2 seasons

Hardy is kept for depth as a #4 WR

Gabriel and Roberts are not brought back. This season has shown that Gabriel was a product of Shanahan, and I dont want to spend a lot on him

The rest are #5 WR options at best and really shouldnt be on the field (Julio should be in on more snaps)

This leaves a hole for a WR and potentially a KR/PR position

Tiololo is back b/c his contract is crazy high for a backup TE, but he is  asolid blocker and has aught the ball better the past 2 years.

Hooper is back as well, but I think we still can upgrade

Maybe a FA TE that is a playmaker to maximize Ryan's prime years with Julio. Plus if we keep Sark, he loves TEs, so I could see a Jimmy Graham situation

Offensive Line

Schraeder and Mack are locks to come back and I think Matthews is as well

As for Matthews, I think after 2 mediocre season, it may make sense to sign him to an extension if cap friendly and there is an out in 2-3 years. I think we get him cheaper on an extension than waiting until next year

Levitre will be a June 1 cut. His cap number is too large and will be used to get another DL or playmaker

The RG position. I do think we let Wes, Harlow, and Garland battle again next season and one will be a starter, no matter how much I, you, or everyone else hate it.

We need an OG in this draft as well. Preferably one that is an OG/OC bc I think Mack could be a June 1 cut in 2019.

Also, backup OT is in order or a future starter if we view Matthews as expendable after next year

Defensive Line

1. Shelby stays b/c his contract still doesnt make sense to cut and I think he takes on Clayborn's role

2. Clayborn is NOT resigned. Without his 6 sack performance, his season is barely average. He is too injury prone and will want a payday. Let's not be the ones stuck with a mediocre player that gets injured far too often. We used him appropriately as a gap player to bring along Vic and Takk

3. Brooks Reed is a June 1 cut. His contract makes sense for this and it will free the cap space for a major FA acquisition and/or resigning Poe

4. Im 50/50 on resigning Poe. I think he is has helped our run defense, but I dont think he is a pass rusher that should be in on 3rd downs and for that, I hope we get a favorable contract out of him

5. Jarrett starts at DT

6. Vic should be rushing the passer 100% of the time

7. Takk has had a solid rookie season considering the number of snaps hes played and his recovery from injury

8. Courtney Upshaw is a blob to keep on the roster, he wont be brought back

9. Rubin will not be brought back...

10. Crawford will be back from injury and a rotational player at best

So with that in mind, I think this is what we have for next year:

Beasley, Takk, Shelby, Jarrett, Poe, Crawford

With that in mind, I think we are looking for a versatile DE/DT type player and another pass rusher

Linebackers

Jones, Campbell, and Riley are the starters, although I think we could still upgrade Campbell. He is a solid backup and may be interesting in a pass rusher role?

Only one fo Ishmael and Reynolds will be back next year, so we will still need a late round LB or UDFA

Secondary

Neal, Trufant, and Alford are starters next year, so no discussion needed for a high draft pick at CB or S

Allen has proven his value as a FS and there isnt a player in this draft that will be better than Allen this upcoming year or next (unless we trade away our future to move into TOp 5 for Minkah), so there is no discussion on a S to replace Allen either. We bring him back, probably on a contract extension

Poole and Kazee are valauble CBs and I also like Neasman, so as for a secondary player in the draft, I just dont see it with our current roster (at least not in the first 3 rounds).

Special Teams

Bryant may not return, but I figure this will either be Bryant or a FA kicker (not a rookie) plus BOsher is back along with LS

We do need a returner though....

To summarize position of needs/wants:

Starting OG (with OC ability)

DT/DE

#3 WR (maybe KR/PR ability)

Depth Edge Rusher

Depth rotational DL

Depth LB

Swing OT

With this in mind, I like a mock off-season of the following:

Free Agency:

Tyler Eifert (gives us a playmaker at TE, probably on a 1 year deal, CIN is known for letting players go)

NFL Draft:

Tremaine Edmunds LB/Edge Virginia Tech (playmaker at LB)

Maurice Hurst DT/DE Michigan (rotational DL)

Will Hernandez OG UTEP (starts at LG)

Sony Michael (PR/KR and #3 RB and ST player)

#3 WR and depth

depth

On 12/17/2017 at 5:35 PM, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I like a lot of it, but I think this is the year the FO needs to consider what direction they are going with the DL...

Here are my thoughts for the team going into off-season:

Offensive Backfield & QB

Ryan & Schaub are back next season (maybe an extension for Ryan, but not as lucrative if after last year)

Freeman, Coleman are back, but we do need to look for a RB (most likely UDFA or late round)

Wide Receivers & TEs

Julio and Sanu are the #1 and #2 for the next 2 seasons

Hardy is kept for depth as a #4 WR

Gabriel and Roberts are not brought back. This season has shown that Gabriel was a product of Shanahan, and I dont want to spend a lot on him

The rest are #5 WR options at best and really shouldnt be on the field (Julio should be in on more snaps)

This leaves a hole for a WR and potentially a KR/PR position

Tiololo is back b/c his contract is crazy high for a backup TE, but he is  asolid blocker and has aught the ball better the past 2 years.

Hooper is back as well, but I think we still can upgrade

Maybe a FA TE that is a playmaker to maximize Ryan's prime years with Julio. Plus if we keep Sark, he loves TEs, so I could see a Jimmy Graham situation

Offensive Line

Schraeder and Mack are locks to come back and I think Matthews is as well

As for Matthews, I think after 2 mediocre season, it may make sense to sign him to an extension if cap friendly and there is an out in 2-3 years. I think we get him cheaper on an extension than waiting until next year

Levitre will be a June 1 cut. His cap number is too large and will be used to get another DL or playmaker

The RG position. I do think we let Wes, Harlow, and Garland battle again next season and one will be a starter, no matter how much I, you, or everyone else hate it.

We need an OG in this draft as well. Preferably one that is an OG/OC bc I think Mack could be a June 1 cut in 2019.

Also, backup OT is in order or a future starter if we view Matthews as expendable after next year

Defensive Line

1. Shelby stays b/c his contract still doesnt make sense to cut and I think he takes on Clayborn's role

2. Clayborn is NOT resigned. Without his 6 sack performance, his season is barely average. He is too injury prone and will want a payday. Let's not be the ones stuck with a mediocre player that gets injured far too often. We used him appropriately as a gap player to bring along Vic and Takk

3. Brooks Reed is a June 1 cut. His contract makes sense for this and it will free the cap space for a major FA acquisition and/or resigning Poe

4. Im 50/50 on resigning Poe. I think he is has helped our run defense, but I dont think he is a pass rusher that should be in on 3rd downs and for that, I hope we get a favorable contract out of him

5. Jarrett starts at DT

6. Vic should be rushing the passer 100% of the time

7. Takk has had a solid rookie season considering the number of snaps hes played and his recovery from injury

8. Courtney Upshaw is a blob to keep on the roster, he wont be brought back

9. Rubin will not be brought back...

10. Crawford will be back from injury and a rotational player at best

So with that in mind, I think this is what we have for next year:

Beasley, Takk, Shelby, Jarrett, Poe, Crawford

With that in mind, I think we are looking for a versatile DE/DT type player and another pass rusher

Linebackers

Jones, Campbell, and Riley are the starters, although I think we could still upgrade Campbell. He is a solid backup and may be interesting in a pass rusher role?

Only one fo Ishmael and Reynolds will be back next year, so we will still need a late round LB or UDFA

Secondary

Neal, Trufant, and Alford are starters next year, so no discussion needed for a high draft pick at CB or S

Allen has proven his value as a FS and there isnt a player in this draft that will be better than Allen this upcoming year or next (unless we trade away our future to move into TOp 5 for Minkah), so there is no discussion on a S to replace Allen either. We bring him back, probably on a contract extension

Poole and Kazee are valauble CBs and I also like Neasman, so as for a secondary player in the draft, I just dont see it with our current roster (at least not in the first 3 rounds).

Special Teams

Bryant may not return, but I figure this will either be Bryant or a FA kicker (not a rookie) plus BOsher is back along with LS

We do need a returner though....

To summarize position of needs/wants:

Starting OG (with OC ability)

DT/DE

#3 WR (maybe KR/PR ability)

Depth Edge Rusher

Depth rotational DL

Depth LB

Swing OT

With this in mind, I like a mock off-season of the following:

Free Agency:

Tyler Eifert (gives us a playmaker at TE, probably on a 1 year deal, CIN is known for letting players go)

NFL Draft:

Tremaine Edmunds LB/Edge Virginia Tech (playmaker at LB)

Maurice Hurst DT/DE Michigan (rotational DL)

Will Hernandez OG UTEP (starts at LG)

Sony Michael (PR/KR and #3 RB and ST player)

#3 WR and depth

depth

Have you watched Campbell this year? He is better than a solid backup unless you have him confused with Riley. If we upgrade anybody it should be Riley. 

Edited by falconsfan4life3