two players on defense that I want to talk about for a bit

jdawg4876

Two players that have really showed up to me lately are upshaw, dude is just a hard worker and a lunch pale guy but I really like what he brings, he actually caused the wilson fumble, and the 2nd guy is Poe. For the record I think poe has been doing fine all yr, but these last two games he has really been shooting gaps and getting after it, plus I love his goal line offensive packages.

Our front is really the strength of our defense. we are getting good early returns for takk. I think beasley is playing well especially rushing back after injury. Poe is coming on strong. Grady is a monster, when healthy I think clayborn is a 5 to 8 sack a yr guy. I like Reed, upshaw, and rubin a lot and we still could get back jack crawford too. Plus we dont need freeney as bad this yr as last yr but I wouldnt mind taking him as well.

1 minute ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I think the D-Line is the main piece of DQ's defense. I think he wants the fastest, meanest D-Line in football and then the rest of the Defensive scheme falls in line after that. He wants the best players he can find at every position but it seems for him the D-Line is all where its at

Yep. The adage is defense wins championships but you could almost narrow that down to "D Line".

You cannot compete in this league without at least a solid DL. Think about it, how many games do we talk about our upcoming opponent, "They've got a good DLine"? Seems like every week.

7 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Agreed.  The defense is really maturing and getting nasty.  

I predict a 4 sack game against the Bucs this week and probably 2 take-away's (INT /Fumble recovery)

I was amazed at how well they held up on the goal line against Seattle.  

were you tho? Seahawks O-line is trash, worse run blocking in the league by not 1 mile, 10 miles.

1 minute ago, Flying Falcon said:

Are we bringing Poe back? After the release of Hageman, will they resign Poe?

I think if he keeps flying under the radar we will his stat sheet is really just like gradys lets look at the numbers

grady-  has had 37 combined tackles and 1.5 sacks and 8 tackles for a loss

Poe- has had  22 combined tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 tackles for a loss.

so while grady has been def better poe, has not been bad, especially bc at the start of the yr he was taking on more double teams, teams are starting to double grady more at least to my eye, plus poe is in a new system, lost weight and is asked to do different things than he was at KC. on top of that he is still pretty young.

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

I think if he keeps flying under the radar we will his stat sheet is really just like gradys lets look at the numbers

grady-  has had 37 combined tackles and 1.5 sacks and 8 tackles for a loss

Poe- has had  22 combined tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 tackles for a loss.

so while grady has been def better poe, has not been bad, especially bc at the start of the yr he was taking on more double teams, teams are starting to double grady more at least to my eye, plus poe is in a new system, lost weight and is asked to do different things than he was at KC. on top of that he is still pretty young.

I hope we do bring him back.

2 minutes ago, Romfal said:

were you tho? Seahawks O-line is trash, worse run blocking in the league by not 1 mile, 10 miles.

agreed but stopping any team on the one yd line is hard especially after getting thrown to the wolves by roberts and the ST.

overall I think the defense played really well, I think wilson is the most dangerous qb in the nfl, he can almost move like vick, Mike vick had more speed and wiggle, but wilson is the better qb by a country 10 miles lol.

9 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I think the D-Line is the main piece of DQ's defense. I think he wants the fastest, meanest D-Line in football and then the rest of the Defensive scheme falls in line after that. He wants the best players he can find at every position but it seems for him the D-Line is all where its at

well Quinn cut his teeth as a coach of the d line

Agree OP I started a thread about this last week I spoke about guys like Upshaw Shelby Reed and Rubin the guys that go to work on the first 2 downs.

Upshaw to me though being a little undersized is as tough as nails much like the other 3 they'll never get there dues because of the job there doing there lunch pale guys like you mention the fast and furious get all the mention and what fans see most.

Those guys I mentioned do all the heavy lifting the stuff that goes unseen and put the others in position to shine.

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Agree OP I started a thread about this last week I spoke about guys like Upshaw Shelby Reed and Rubin the guys that go to work on the first 2 downs.

Upshaw to me though being a little undersized is as tough as nails much like the other 3 they'll never get there dues because of the job there doing there lunch pale guys like you mention the fast and furious get all the mention and what fans see most.

Those guys I mentioned do all the heavy lifting the stuff that goes unseen and put the others in position to shine.

whats strange about reed is last yr he was an excellent edge setter against the run and just an ok pass rusher. this yr he is doing really good rushing the passer and his edge setting is not near as good

17 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

whats strange about reed is last yr he was an excellent edge setter against the run and just an ok pass rusher. this yr he is doing really good rushing the passer and his edge setting is not near as good

Yeah man I agree I thought the DE play setting the edges against the run on MNF was very poor.I think they were so intent on coming after and flushing Wilson he made us pay the price.Those 3rd downs Wilson completed were close to game changers.

Mind you I can see why they were a bit undisciplined on the edge they had a look at that Seattle o-line and probably thought attack attack and left lanes for Wilson to run.Even saying this Beasleys spy play was poor also he got caught looking and out of position on at least 4 occasions I counted.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yeah man your I agree I thought the DE play setting the edges against the run on MNF was very poor.I think they were so intent on coming after and flushing Wilson he made us pay the price.Those 3rd downs Wilson completed were close to game changers.

Mind you I can see why they were a bit undisciplined on the edge they had a look at that Seattle o-line and probably thought attack attack and left lanes for Wilson to run.Even saying this Beasleys spy play was poor also he got caught looking and out of position on at least 4 occasions I counted.

true but all yr reed has lost containment I would agree that takk has been better there in run support, which is strange as he is a rookie. like I said earlier wilson really is the mvp dude is the seahawks whole team, if it was anybody else including cam newton we would have had at least 2 to 4 more sacks behind that o line. Dude is the closest to vick with his escape-ability but is by far a better passer. rodgers makes some incredible throws on the run but that one wilson pass that was almost a TD to Jimmy G was a thing of beauty, and he threw it from an unbelievable platform with ease

1 minute ago, jdawg4876 said:

true but all yr reed has lost containment I would agree that takk has been better there in run support, which is strange as he is a rookie. like I said earlier wilson really is the mvp dude is the seahawks whole team, if it was anybody else including cam newton we would have had at least 2 to 4 more sacks behind that o line. Dude is the closest to vick with his escape-ability but is by far a better passer. rodgers makes some incredible throws on the run but that one wilson pass that was almost a TD to Jimmy G was a thing of beauty, and he threw it from an unbelievable platform with ease

Yep Wilson was fantastic zero doubt about it but I still can't help but think we made him look a bit better than he should have been.If we had tackled and been more disciplined I think we should have beat the Seahawks down .