Dan Quinn, pleast take some clock/situation management classes or something

bdog 29

I love what Quinn's does for this team in-week but his in-game clock/situation management has cost us. Two examples from last night.

One was the Jimmy Graham first down on the one yard line which wasn't. Replay clearly showed that Graham was short. Bad spot by the refs but that's why you have the challenge flag. To rectify situations like that. Seattle didn't hurry up or anything and there was time for the replay to be shown from multiple angles. Considering that the play was on 3rd down, we would have forced a kick with that stop. Instead Quinn let's it go and the Seahawks score.

Second time was a bit later in the game. I don't remember exactly what happened but we stopped the Seahawks on 3rd down and they would be facing a 4th and 4 or something. However the Seahawks had a holding penalty. Quinn elects to take the penalty instead of the down and the Seahawks then convert a long 3rd down. They later go on to score a TD on the drive. In a vacuum I don't completely disagree with the call to replay the down. The FG was long but Walsh and you'd expect your defense to be able to stop a 3rd and long. However at that point, our defense had been on the field for a really long time. Our offense barely touched the ball in the 2nd quarter and the Seahawks got the ball to start the 3rd so our D. Ever since the Superbowl I'm extremely mindful of defensive fatigue so to me, the FG try was a no brainer. The FG is by no means guaranteed at that distance (as we saw at the end) and it gets your defense some rest.

Dan Quinn is a great motivator and X's and O's guy but he needs to get better at these things if he wants to take his coaching to the next level. Football is a game of inches and every little thing counts. That's why someone like Bill Belichick will challenge whether a guy actually got off the field in time to get his team 5 yards on a 12 men on the field penalty. Little things like that add up and while I'm happy we won, I fear Quinn's time and situation management will come back to bite us in the ***...again.

3 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Here’s an idea.. dear Robert Alford... stop jogging after Doug Baldwin and allowing a TD within 45 seconds...

I thought Alford thought he had help over the top I saw our 2 safeties playing over the top one of those guys blew there assignment on that play.I saw Alford looking at them.

I was like cmon man it's a bad bit of communication regardless.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

I thought Alford thought he had help over the top I saw our 2 safeties playing over the top one of those guys blew there assignment on that play.I saw Alford looking at them.

I was like cmon man it's a bad bit of communication regardless.

So that’s an excuse for literally jogging? No dude quit on the play it was rediculous.. this is not the first time Alford has been guilty of jogging and getting burnt 

1 minute ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

So that’s an excuse for literally jogging? No dude quit on the play it was rediculous.. this is not the first time Alford has been guilty of jogging and getting burnt 

No it's not an excuse but Alford was supposed to play underneath to me to defend the comeback or dig he was in trailing technique and was waiting for help which he never got.

As I said it was mis communicated and the end result ensued.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

No it's not an excuse but Alford was supposed to play underneath to me to defend the comeback or dig he was in trailing technique and was waiting for help which he never got.

As I said it was mis communicated and the end result ensued.

Fair enough. Still disappointed in his effort.. you just can’t jog in the nfl 

3 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Fair enough. Still disappointed in his effort.. you just can’t jog in the nfl 

There is no one on the falcons who works more intensely that Robert Alford.  He was on the field for all 63 defensive plays.  Plus all of the penalties.  Plus all the kick offs.  Plus any other special teams he's on (not sure about others.)

70 Plays.  Most of those are full sprints for extended periods.  A lot of those are with less than full recovery. I did not notice the effort on that final TD, but I'm pretty sure if he was "jogging" it was because that was all he had in the tank.  Period.

@bdog 29 I am SO with you on this issue.  I was the guy that was nervous as heck during the Super Bowl because our defense had been on the field for 23 straight plays after the pic six.

I was the guy who said they had to take Alford OFF of late kick offs (if not all of them) because late in games they don't get TV timeouts before the offense starts.  The Seahawks burned him badly on that for their last touchdown in the Playoffs last season.

To Quinn's credit, I'm pretty sure he called three time outs in the first half on third downs at the end of drives EXPRESSLY to assure that everyone on defense was as fresh as possible for the next play.  Unfortunately, some flukey things happened and it did not worked out.  But the reasoning was sound

And, . . . of course, I was the guy screaiming "GIVE THEM THE DANG FIELD GOAL" on the third down penalty.  At that point saving the plays was more important than the three points.  AS it worked out, the Seahawks ran 6 more plays AND kicked the field goal.

Counterpoint: It also cost the Seahawks three minutes before they kicked the field goal. 

Counterpoint 2:  At that moment of the game, I think Carroll goes for it and Quinn knew it.  Wilson's skillset presents some pretty massive challenges.  I liked the Falcons chances at 3rd and 12 more than fourth and 2.

I also give Quinn and Sark credit for the game plan in the 2nd half.  They recognized the vulnerability of the defense after the THREE CONSECUTIVE POSSESSIONS in the first half (freakin' Roberts@%@#%).  While the Seahawks were playing fast and calling a ton of screens to INCREASE the workload on the defense, the Falcons compressed the game by milking clock.  They were not milking clock to try to run out the clock (they obviously did not go into a shell) they were milking clock to make sure the defense did not have to defend more plays than necessary.  They did not stop passing, but they did not go pass wacky and used the run very effectively.  This was part of the nightmare that was Shanahan's ego during the Superbowl.  Shanny EXTENDED the game despite the defense being at 67 plays in the third quarter!

There WERE two horrible play calls:  One was the sack on the third and short.  Just like the Superbowl, I don't understand why we don't go play action/roll out when we want to pass on short yardage.

The second I"m starting another thread for . . .

I suspect he is heavily involved on every defensive call which is why he struggles with some clock management.  You just miss things if you’re overly vested in one phase of the game.

Jimmy Johnson on Cowherd today said that coordinators who become head coaches and still call plays often struggle in a few areas: timeout management, clock management and poor ST play.  He wasn’t talking about Atlanta but it seemed to fit.

4 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Here’s an idea.. dear Robert Alford... stop jogging after Doug Baldwin and allowing a TD within 45 seconds...

Or...lets not make a stupid mental mistake like the ones that caused losses against the Fins and Bills...and nearly the Lions and Bears. Jump off sides and then STOP?   Free play.  45 second TD?  That was actually the only play that really boiled my blood. The DOS throws the whole defensive timing off. The only remedy is just to keep going and force the ref to call unabated. 

4 hours ago, Peyton said:

It was a difficult call on the penalty.  I think Quinn figured that at that spot on the field, they were probably going to go for it on 4th and 3, so he just tried to make it harder for him.  Then Wilson scrambled and it didn't work out.

I thought Quinn screwed up numerous times last night but this wasn't one of them. The penalty pushed them way back.

Defense should have been able to hold but Russell Wilson made a great play.

I'd take Russell Wilson over Cam Newton any day of the week.