What's up with Coleman ALWAYS slipping?

11 hours ago, Jpowers said:

Nah......I've had this convo several times with @Atlfanstckndenver. Coleman has **** balance. 

I love him for what he is but if he had balance.....man.

When I was watching him last night I was thinking about how his running style must make it difficult for him to shake defenders laterally without losing his strength /balance as a runner. Similar to how Jerious Norwood was, Coleman is in a lot of ways a sprinting gyroscope out there. You've got to keep him moving to keep that balance.

Despite everybody viewing Coleman strictly as a speed back you couldn't find a more downhill style runner. Granted he isn't exactly built to be your prototype downhill style runner, but at some point you've got to let him be him.

I feel like I saw him try to get extra yards out of a few runs last night by being selective with where he was going to go when the play looked like it was closing down on him. It basically resulted in him kinda just stuttering to a slowed pace and getting tackled. 

He is what he is and as long as we can continue to get better at utilizing his abilities he is a very dangerous asset out of the backfield.

I'm not sure about all of those wide stretch plays and tosses against a defense like Seattle's, but I know what they were trying to do with them at least. 

It's almost like his legs try to go so fast he runs right from under himself. He's an upright runner until he gets in traffic. Then he seems to lower his head almost too much and falls forward. 

I thought he was better at this yesterday than usual though. He ran very tough yesterday imo.

He's still potentially a bigger weapon on quick passes out of the backfield. We threw to him I think once yesterday and it was a huge 1st down. We need more typical "dump offs". The kind of stuff we used to do late in a game with Quizz when we were waaay behind late in a game. Send the receivers downfield and dump it to him underneath just past the LOS. He doesn't even necessarily need screen blockers. All that will do is tip off the DL. Just have him sneak through the pass rush and quickly dump it off. He can make guys miss in the open field. We would eat teams up if we did that more often. 

It hadn't rained for hours and those fieldturf fields drain really well. Coleman runs upright and has a high center of gravity which makes it hard for him to stop and cut in a way that Freeman does so well. He needs more of a clear path when he heads to a hole than a space he needs to make a big cut to hit. When he does cut like that his body can't support the move and he slips. It takes a rare talent to do that. Julio does it well.

Can only really remember two times he was having trouble staying up that was Chicago and last night. However this guy did slip in the shower and get a concussion his rookie year so he is a bit clumsy.

I feel like he runs to upright, the guy is too tall until he goes into traffic.

Edited by Malachore
2 hours ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

When I was watching him last night I was thinking about how his running style must make it difficult for him to shake defenders laterally without losing his strength /balance as a runner. Similar to how Jerious Norwood was, Coleman is in a lot of ways a sprinting gyroscope out there. You've got to keep him moving to keep that balance.

Despite everybody viewing Coleman strictly as a speed back you couldn't find a more downhill style runner. Granted he isn't exactly built to be your prototype downhill style runner, but at some point you've got to let him be him.

I feel like I saw him try to get extra yards out of a few runs last night by being selective with where he was going to go when the play looked like it was closing down on him. It basically resulted in him kinda just stuttering to a slowed pace and getting tackled. 

He is what he is and as long as we can continue to get better at utilizing his abilities he is a very dangerous asset out of the backfield.

I'm not sure about all of those wide stretch plays and tosses against a defense like Seattle's, but I know what they were trying to do with them at least. 

I said he was a sprinter and even proved it with research. Caponine nearly crucified me.