Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PriMeTiiMe

Tiebreakers for WC

14 posts in this topic

I constantly see people talking about how we have the tiebreakers due to H2H over a bunch of teams (Dal, GB, Det, Sea if we win tonight..etc) People are failing to realize that if we finish with the same record as the Panthers we are immediately removed from all tiebreakers and us beating all the other teams do not matter. The way tiebreakers work for the wildcard is they eliminate teams in the same division FIRST.

What we NEED to have happen in order to prevent losing that common games tiebreaker:

A) Finish with a better division record (4-2 or 5-1. If we finish 5-1 won't matter what the Panthers do. If we finish 4-2 we need the Saints or Bucs to beat Panthers so they finish 3-3 or worse). This is the 2nd tiebreaker behind the H2h games that we would have obviously split. Get a better divisional record and common games wont matter.

OR

B.) If the division tie breaker ends up being even we MUST have 2 of the 3 following teams beat Carolina. GreenBay, New York J or Minnesota. Meanwhile we also obviously have to beat Minnesota. That will draw us even in Common Games and push the tiebreaker down to conference record in which we would win over Carolina.

Their are so many teams in the race for the 2 NFC Wildcard spots that it would be a heart breaker to finish 10-6 and not make it in due to the Common Games tiebreaker.

5 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I constantly see people talking about how we have the tiebreakers due to H2H over a bunch of teams (Dal, GB, Det, Sea if we win tonight..etc) People are failing to realize that if we finish with the same record as the Panthers we are immediately removed from all tiebreakers and us beating all the other teams do not matter. The way tiebreakers work for the wildcard is they eliminate teams in the same division FIRST.

What we NEED to have happen in order to prevent losing that common games tiebreaker:

A) Finish with a better division record (4-2 or 5-1. If we finish 5-1 won't matter what the Panthers do. If we finish 4-2 we need the Saints or Bucs to beat Panthers so they finish 3-3 or worse). This is the 2nd tiebreaker behind the H2h games that we would have obviously split. Get a better divisional record and common games wont matter.

OR

B.) If the division tie breaker ends up being even we MUST have 2 of the 3 following teams beat Carolina. GreenBay, New York J or Minnesota. Meanwhile we also obviously have to beat Minnesota. That will draw us even in Common Games and push the tiebreaker down to conference record in which we would win over Carolina.

Their are so many teams in the race for the 2 NFC Wildcard spots that it would be a heart breaker to finish 10-6 and not make it in due to the Common Games tiebreaker.

I don't think that's how tie breakers work...if we finish with the same record as the Panthers, it goes to tie breakers with them and only them.  If we finish with the same record as Lions, Cowboys, Seahawks, etc. and if we beat them in head to head we hold the tie breaker.

Unless I am missing something from your post which is entirely possible because it kinda reads like greek.

PriMeTiiMe likes this

32 minutes ago, athell said:

I don't think that's how tie breakers work...if we finish with the same record as the Panthers, it goes to tie breakers with them and only them.  If we finish with the same record as Lions, Cowboys, Seahawks, etc. and if we beat them in head to head we hold the tie breaker.

Unless I am missing something from your post which is entirely possible because it kinda reads like greek.

No. For Wildcard it eliminates same division teams first then works its way down other tie breakers for all other teams.

Straight from NFL.com

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

Wait a minute? When it comes to a 3+ way tie breaker. Does it come down to overall conference record first or common opponents first? 

Edited by mqg96

@PriMeTiiMe That step that you highlighted is only applicable if say we were tied in our division based on record.

For example,

If the Panthers and Falcons had the same record, then they would work off of division tiebreaker first to eliminate which if the two are higher in the the.

Then it would go to H2H for the non division, same conference tied records.

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

F the WC. We play the Saints twice. The Division Championship is still in play!

The Redskins F that up.

We are in week 10 and already obsessing over tie breakers for WC, yea this is not a good look.

Edited by MAD597

I agree it's way too early to even worry about this, but now I'm genuinely curious as a football fan:

This is saying that if, for example, 4 teams all finished 10-6 (let's say Panthers, Falcons, Packers, Cowboys just for argument's sake), that if the Panthers and Falcons had the same record but Panthers were the 5th seed and Falcons the 6th (due to a Panthers tiebreaker over Falcons), that the Falcons would just drop out even though they BEAT the Packers and the Cowboys?

That seems like ... it can't be right. If so, that's a seriously effed up rule.

Thats the way it is set up if there are multiple teams in the same division, not across divisions on head to heads, otherwise what is the point in having head to head count as anything in the first place.

11 hours ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I agree it's way too early to even worry about this, but now I'm genuinely curious as a football fan:

This is saying that if, for example, 4 teams all finished 10-6 (let's say Panthers, Falcons, Packers, Cowboys just for argument's sake), that if the Panthers and Falcons had the same record but Panthers were the 5th seed and Falcons the 6th (due to a Panthers tiebreaker over Falcons), that the Falcons would just drop out even though they BEAT the Packers and the Cowboys?

That seems like ... it can't be right. If so, that's a seriously effed up rule.

It's convoluted but for your own sanity just focus on head to head as I was saying.