Report: NFL said intentional grounding call against Redskins was incorrect in final minute of loss to Saints

lehshead

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The officials have made this error repeatedly when there is a communication issue between receivers and QBs, forgetting the "imminent loss of yardage" aspect of the rule. 

This legitimately costs the Redskins a chance to kick the game winning FG, but what an incredible choke job by the Redskins still.

Most times remarkable collapses need an assist from the officials, as we Falcons fans well know.  And the Redskins got it.

Did they get the call wrong on the clock runoff as well?  I thought that only would happen on a RUNNING clock. Since he threw and incompletion...and the clock was stopped...shouldn't that have negated the runoff?  The example I use is from the DET game where they completed a pass and he was down at the 1 and the clock was RUNNING so when they stopped the play the had to enforce the rule....any ideas?

1 minute ago, federicofalcon2 said:

Did they get the call wrong on the clock runoff as well?  I thought that only would happen on a RUNNING clock. Since he threw and incompletion...and the clock was stopped...shouldn't that have negated the runoff?  The example I use is from the DET game where they completed a pass and he was down at the 1 and the clock was RUNNING so when they stopped the play the had to enforce the rule....any ideas?

The runoff applies to penalties despite the running clock.

1 minute ago, federicofalcon2 said:

The runoff was the right call, the penalty was committed on a play where the clock was running.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

But the penalty was called after the clock stopped......the reason for the run off is that the penalty happened inside 2 minutes....not because the clock was running

The intentional grounding penalty basically works like a sack. So since the clock was running if he would have been sacked it would still run.

I was confused by the call. QB's throw the ball away when receivers are covered up, and they'll throw it away in an uncatchable manner too with or without being pressured. So, how was what Cousins did any different? The ball was past the LOS and out of bounds. Isn't that the same as throwing it away? Once again the Refs play a role in deciding a game with a bonehead call. Shouldn't the refs be very clear on the rules, and shouldn't have a least conferenced on this?

4 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

I was confused by the call. QB's throw the ball away when receivers are covered up, and they'll throw it away in an uncatchable manner too with or without being pressured. So, how was what Cousins did any different? The ball was past the LOS and out of bounds. Isn't that the same as throwing it away? Once again the Refs play a role in deciding a game with a bonehead call. Shouldn't the refs be very clear on the rules, and shouldn't have a least conferenced on this?

Quarterbacks can only legally throw the ball away when they are out of the pocket.

When I think about it, it is really the Redskins fault.  Cousins is basically saying that he just threw it out of bounds to stop the clock.

Why not just spike it?

Just incredibly dumb all the way around by the Redskins.