Georgia Dome

BirdFan33

Not sure about you guys, but I can't help but reflect on all the years and games I shared with friends and family at the Georgia Dome. I went to my first game in September of 2002 to watch them play the Bears and have been a fanatic ever since. I spent the last 8 seasons raising the field goal nets getting to watch from the field. Such a bitter sweet day. 

What are are your best memories from the old Dome?

My favorite memory by far was seeing the NFC championship there last year. My wife and I made a last minute decision on the Tuesday before to buy tickets and drive down from Kentucky for the game.

Right behind that memory would be the Thursday Night Football vs. the Saints that I came down for in 2012. Brees threw 5 picks and we ended his record streak of games with at least 1 TD pass. The dome was so electric that night. What a great time...

Gonna miss her had great memories in the dome.Season tickets with the wife she would go even though back then she didn’t like football and bring a book to read. When Matt drove the field in 18 seconds to beat Chicago the noise from the winning field goal woke her up lol. Today she’s a big fan.

In my younger days partying all night with friends on Saturday night in Atlanta feel like *** but went to the game hungover while one guy how I don’t know would order drinks all through the game. 

Finally working for a firm who had tickets on the 50 enjoyed the **** out of those seats gonna miss the dome 

23 minutes ago, brewman said:

Mostly just a smoking pile of rubble except one section still standing.  Was that intentional that?

2017-11-20_7-57-22.jpg.c2cc9b78110eda0d717b601d08ac607b.jpg

I'm guessing they did that to keep up a safety barrier for the upcoming events/games until the site is more secure.   That's a long drop from the sidewalk to the bottom of the GA Dome pit.  

Man, this is truly a bitter sweet day for me...LOTS of great memories at The Dome, including:

1. Roam the Dome - AB invited the public into the dome to hand pick their season tickets and I took Section 231, 2nd Row...some sweet seats for sure!!

2. Tailgating on Northside Drive in Parking Lot of Deb's Fish House with awesome friends new and old

3. Tailgating in Lot K with awesome friends new and old

4. Witnessing all the superhuman talents of Mike Vick

5. Matt's first pass to Jenkins goes for a TD (as mentioned above)

6. Matt's heroics against Chicago (as mentioned above)

7. Demolishing Rams in Playoffs

8. Crushing Brees and the Taints (as mentioned above)

9. Home games during the Holidays and staying at The Omni - what an awesome base of operations for game day!!

So many memories.   Sharing times with family and friends made through the years.   Sharing laughter and tears - high fives and face palms!   I'll miss you Georgia Dome.   My heart is heavy today and I feel a real sadness over the loss of a place with so many memories.    She'll be with me though - in my heart forever.

If the Falcons win tonight though - I'll get over it.

I got out of the Marine Corps at the end of 92.  My GF (now wife) would get me tix to a game around my birthday as that was all we could afford... and we really couldn't afford that.  I remember watching Bobby Hebert take over QB from Jeff...(can't remember his last name).  

In the 97 season we would go down and get scalper tix and went to every game that year, sat all over the Dome, literally not a bad seat.  

My best games were the Falcons-SanFran game divisional playoff game in 98.  Sat in upper corner endzone about 5 rows from the top, paid $125/ticket and it was worth every penny.  So crazy loud, I was yelling to my wife and she still couldn't hear me.  The next best games were last year for the divisional and NFCCG.  Great way to close it out.  

1 hour ago, brewman said:

Mostly just a smoking pile of rubble except one section still standing.  Was that intentional that?

2017-11-20_7-57-22.jpg.c2cc9b78110eda0d717b601d08ac607b.jpg

Looks like the standing section should have fallen with the implosion.  From the AJC:

When the dust cleared, two sections of the Georgia Dome’s outside walls were still standing.

Rick Cuppelitti, executive vice president of lead demolition contractor Adamo Group, said those sections will be mechanically demolished.

“We have to investigate whether the charges (in those sections) went off,” he said. “If the charges went off, it’s not going to take much at all (to knock the walls down).”

Otherwise, he said, everything went as planned.

I did the Roam the Dome thing (did not bother to do it for MBS)

Was at the very first game - pre season game vs Eagles.

Was at the very first regular season game vs the Jets.

Was at the 49er playoff game in '98.

Had season tix for several years after Blank bought the team - good times with my friends and had some awesome tailgates.

5 minutes ago, brewman said:

Looks like the standing section should have fallen with the implosion.  From the AJC:

When the dust cleared, two sections of the Georgia Dome’s outside walls were still standing.

Rick Cuppelitti, executive vice president of lead demolition contractor Adamo Group, said those sections will be mechanically demolished.

“We have to investigate whether the charges (in those sections) went off,” he said. “If the charges went off, it’s not going to take much at all (to knock the walls down).”

Otherwise, he said, everything went as planned.

Better implosion was the Falcons in SB 51........still too soon?

I made it once for a preseason Gabe against Tennessee, and we were behind the visiting team lol. I went to mceachern hs and as a freshman signed up for FBLA for one reason. With your $25 fee you got a t-shirt and a ticket to the Falcons game. This was the only chance I really had to get to the game so I took it lol. Only went to a few meetings because we had chickfila biscuits

The game was cool even though it was preseason. During halftime we had to go to the upper level and pass out surveys or some ****. 

Overall I'm happy I was able to make it atleast once. Rip lol

Outside of the regular season Tilt with SF in 98(one of many great moments I got to spend with my mom at the games) to me the turning point of that season, and last years playoff run, I had a lot of forgettable moments from the old girl. 

Even with that said, she was our old girl and will be missed!

RIP Ms. GA Dome.

As far as memorable moments - that Monday night game vs Eagles where that fight broke out before the game and we went on to win was a good one. Then this other game vs. Panties when #7 took off for the game winning TD and appeared to float for just that one yard when everyone thought he was down was another cause I remember yelling to everyone in my section that he was gonna take off and win the game and then he did was another.