Does it bother anybody that we share the same stadium sponsor as the Saints?

4 hours ago, PK Manley said:

It's really that we're taking their sponsor.  Ours is a 27 year sponsorship deal and theirs will expire in 2021.

There are just 4 years where the deals overlap that they've already paid for, so they'll keep both until the Saints deal expires.

Exactly this. Many people are missing this point.

Also, there's no telling how much money anyone else was willing to pay to sponsor the new stadium. Mercedes Benz may have just shown more money (plus they just moved their North American HQ here).

It really seems odd that our football stadium is named after a German conglomerate and that our basketball arena is named after a Dutch conglomerate.  I guess it suggests an international appeal to our city, but the "Georgia Dome" or "Turner Field" sounded more local.  SunTrust Park is obviously commercially-named, but I can at least remember SunTrust and Trust Company far back in Atlanta's history.  What next we agree to rename Atlanta itself to Amazonville to become Amazon's 2nd headquarters?

8 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

It really seems odd that our football stadium is named after a German conglomerate and that our basketball arena is named after a Dutch conglomerate.  I guess it suggests an international appeal to our city, but the "Georgia Dome" or "Turner Field" sounded more local.  SunTrust Park is obviously commercially-named, but I can at least remember SunTrust and Trust Company far back in Atlanta's history.  What next we agree to rename Atlanta itself to Amazonville to become Amazon's 2nd headquarters?

What I find odd is that people don't seem to understand how sponsorship works. 

Has nothing to do with "appeal", has to do with MB being the highest bidder for naming rights. 

They like to call it a "partnership", but it's not, that's just a way to downplay the weirdness of stadiums being named after a faceless corporation who had nothing to do with the construction of the stadium or the team, but just wants to buy the name to sell products.

That's why I loved the Georgia Dome and to a slightly lesser extent Turner Field. The names represented something.

And I'm not even sure how to answer anyone who is concerned that we share a sponsor with the Saints (temporarily even), as if anyone should give a second of concern over which faceless mega-corporation made a business decision to purchase naming rights for a stadium. You do realize how ridiculous that is to get bothered by, right?

Mercedes doesn't represent our team or our fanbase, they're just trying to sell cars.  Maybe it's working if people think that a sponsorship is anything more than a billboard.