This should shut up people who are saying Trufant is not a shutdown corner

lostnmexico

It would be fair to say that I’ve been on a bit of a kick defending Desmond Trufant of late, probably because the gap between the perception of his play and his actual play has been so wide thus far in 2017. I’m not above marshaling statistics and rankings to my banner, and I’ll do again this morning. Happy Saturday.

Here, we learn that Trufant is a top ten cornerback in yet another metric, this one having to do with the number of catches he’s actually allowing, on average, one catch every 17 or so snaps. Considering he plays 50 some odd snaps per game, that’s an average of three receptions per game, typically against #1 receivers.

Desmond Trufant is only allowing a catch every 16.8 snaps in coverage (10th best in NFL):https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-peterson-amukamara-lead-nfl-in-receptions-allowed-per-snap-in-coverage 

QBs are shying away from Trufant, only targeting him once every 9.1 snaps in coverage (7th least often among CBs)

If Trufant has allowed a couple of uncharacteristic catches on his watch this year—and that’s an argument I’m at least receptive to—he’s made up for it by gluing himself to opposing receivers and largely taking them out of the game. Your best cornerback should either be an eraser who quiets down great receivers, a ballhawk who can turn the game around in an instant, or some combination of the two. With Trufant getting two picks already this year (albeit one that was called back) and typically excellent coverage, he still fits the bill for Atlanta.

Edited by lostnmexico

To be fair, I think the term " shutdown corner"gets thrown around way too much these days.  For my money, there aren't any real shutdown corners in the league right now.  That's not to say there aren't any great corners, but a shutdown corner is a rare beast. 

The last guy that I thought came close to being that guy who you just didn't throw at under any circumstance and who could reliably close down half the field, was prime Darrelle Revis.

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

To be fair, I think the term " shutdown corner"gets thrown around way too much these days.  For my money, there aren't any real shutdown corners in the league right now.  That's not to say there aren't any great corners, but a shutdown corner is a rare beast. 

The last guy that I thought came close to being that guy who you just didn't throw at under any circumstance and who could reliably close down half the field, was prime Darrelle Revis.

I said some **** like that a few years back and got toasted. 

I am not gonna sit here and accuse him of being bad by any means however I and all of us for that matter should hold him to a higher standard than Alford for example. Alford is a number 2 guy and he gets paid as such Tru however is going to demand a top tier pay day and in professional sports it's important to hold players who will put a strain on your cap to a higher level of expectations. 

My problem with Tru is and always has been he gets by at least on a small level by reputation. Alford has made several plays in his career that won and ended ball games. Tru not so much. Sure people don't throw at him that much but when the games on the line and they do it's completed a lot of the time. 

I can refer you back to the Detroit game to make my point. That game shouldn't have came down to what it did. Alford intercepted a pass in the end zone (an impressive one at that) to end the game that was called back because Tru held away from the play. I like him and want to keep him but it should be for the right price.

19 minutes ago, Warningx13 said:

I am not gonna sit here and accuse him of being bad by any means however I and all of us for that matter should hold him to a higher standard than Alford for example. Alford is a number 2 guy and he gets paid as such Tru however is going to demand a top tier pay day and in professional sports it's important to hold players who will put a strain on your cap to a higher level of expectations. 

My problem with Tru is and always has been he gets by at least on a small level by reputation. Alford has made several plays in his career that won and ended ball games. Tru not so much. Sure people don't throw at him that much but when the games on the line and they do it's completed a lot of the time. 

I can refer you back to the Detroit game to make my point. That game shouldn't have came down to what it did. Alford intercepted a pass in the end zone (an impressive one at that) to end the game that was called back because Tru held away from the play. I like him and want to keep him but it should be for the right price.

Tru has already been extended

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/08/atlanta-falcons-desmond-trufant-contract-extension

1 hour ago, Warningx13 said:

Tru has already been extended and he didn’t even hold on the play. It was a bs call.

1 hour ago, Warningx13 said:

That's a bad play to call out because Tru actually didn't hold on that play. It was a terrible call on the ref.

Now the play after was pretty bad tho.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Revis and Nnamdi are the two that come to mind that id consider shut down corners. No one wanted to throw at their direction.

17 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Jalen Ramsey maybe is close to one ?

The Lattimore kid in New Orleans has played lights out so far.