theProf

The Falcons’ most underrated defender is.....

58 posts in this topic

Just now, Faithful Falcon said:

Allen does what he's supposed to do, and more. As I've said before, some just look more attractive.

I really don't want to be hating on the guy but this is a big statement for a FS that has played a half a season with zero passes defended.

Durn!  I was sure it was Weatherspoon.  I demand want a recount!!!  It was those dayum hanging chads wasn't it????

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Lack of turnovers is this defense’s biggest weakness right now. So I’m thinking getting that safety that can do both is this defenses’s next logical step. 

But easier said than done. Kazee at best is Rico 2.0, and he needs to bulk up a lot before he can play NFL safety. 

Truth. But also lack of turnovers is because we cancel them out with penalties. We’ve had 5 int’s 

negated. That would put us at 7 on the year and we lead the league in FF’s so it’s not like we haven’t been getting turnovers. We’ve been killing them with the penalties. We win the Miami game if Jarrett doesn’t negate Debo’s pick. Instead that lead to the go ahead score for Miami. We’re not 8-1 because of flukey offensive turnovers and defensive turnovers getting negated by penalties. Weird lol. 

Falcan Moore and Vandy like this

Alford has been our best CB this season, stemming from last season. Watch Trufant though, lately it seems he's getting his confidence/health all the way back. He and Alf playing at the same level will scary going down the stretch.

Domed Outter likes this

8 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Lack of turnovers is this defense’s biggest weakness right now. So I’m thinking finding that safety that can do both is this defenses’s next logical step. 

But easier said than done.

BTW Haven’t heard too much for from the pro-kazee crowd predicting hecwoukd supplant Rico since preseason :rolleyes: . Kazee at best is Rico 2.0, and said all preseason he needed to bulk up a lot (like Rico did) before he can ever expect to play NFL safety. 

Me either but like we said before the season started Allen will be the starter for the year UNTIL somebody unseats him. And that’s a y’all order because they have to do all that he does and NOT just make plays. And by make plays I mean get picks because contrary to popular belief Allen makes ALOT of plays. 

Vandy likes this

9 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Truth. But also lack of turnovers is because we cancel them out with penalties. We’ve had 5 int’s 

negated. That would put us at 7 on the year and we lead the league in FF’s so it’s not like we haven’t been getting turnovers. We’ve been killing them with the penalties. We win the Miami game if Jarrett doesn’t negate Debo’s pick. Instead that lead to the go ahead score for Miami. We’re not 8-1 because of flukey offensive turnovers and defensive turnovers getting negated by penalties. Weird lol. 

Exactly. The lack of turnovers this year is not on the FS. 4 picks have been negated by penalties and quite a few have been dropped. The team has been forcing fumbles that have been bouncing back to the other team. The opportunities for TOs has been there - they have been in position for a lot of them - the team just have not been capitalizing on the opportunities.

falconsd56, TheFatboi and Yo_Lover like this

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

Exactly. The lack of turnovers this year is not on the FS. 4 picks have been negated by penalties and quite a few have been dropped. The team has been forcing fumbles that have been bouncing back to the other team. The opportunities for TOs has been there - they have been in position for a position of them - the team just have not been capitalizing on the opportunities.

Funny how that works. I have a feeling it’s about to change for the better for us because if WE can pinpoint that Quinn has gone thru it with a fine tooth comb. 

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

One guy who gets little to no love and alot of hate is Poe.

He has not put up huge pass rushing numbers but he constantly pushes the pocket and he is still too much for one guy to block one on one all game....he has been a really good signing......his goal line block on the td sunday was just a bonus!

I think that De'Vondre Campbell is one of the most underrated defensive players this year for the Falcons. He made a significant leap this season over last year.

Vandy, mikeg272 and Yo_Lover like this

I like the Alford pick.

Among Falcons fans: Prior to last Sunday I’d have said Clayborn.  Now, I’ll say Reed or Shelby.

Across the country: I’ll say Neal.  I feel like most folks still don’t know him because he’s a safety but doesn’t have INTs.  

NeonDeion likes this

Still don't see the amazing Allen tape. 

Hated Alford til this year. That mofo is ballin.

Cleaned up the Crisp Houston penalties and finally learned how to play the crossing route.

Been ballin since late last year.

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Still don't see the amazing Allen tape. 

Hated Alford til this year. That mofo is ballin.

Cleaned up the Crisp Houston penalties and finally learned how to play the crossing route.

Been ballin since late last year.

Exactly. It’s not something that you see on tape when it comes to Allen. But at the same time you’re SEEING it on tape by the way they play as a unit. It ain’t anything amazing. It’s preparation and film study. He doesn’t get fooled and he doesn’t let the defense get fooled. He gets everybody in the same page. So yea that doesn’t pop out on tape individually but it pops out when you watch 11 brothers play as a unit. It’s hard to replace that. Like Sean LEE for Dallas. It’s hard to replace his IQ and how he gets guys set and in the right spot. 

NeonDeion and Vandy like this

6 hours ago, Peyton said:

I don't see it with Allen.  People I guess allocate him credit for teams not going deep on the Falcons, but I really think that has more to do with an extremely conservative defensive philosophy than anything special Allen is doing. 

This sir

29 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. It’s not something that you see on tape when it comes to Allen. But at the same time you’re SEEING it on tape by the way they play as a unit. It ain’t anything amazing. It’s preparation and film study. He doesn’t get fooled and he doesn’t let the defense get fooled. He gets everybody in the same page. So yea that doesn’t pop out on tape individually but it pops out when you watch 11 brothers play as a unit. It’s hard to replace that. Like Sean LEE for Dallas. It’s hard to replace his IQ and how he gets guys set and in the right spot. 

I vote for replacing him with a safety with better range if we stay in a single high. Buddy aint playin it the way it needs to be played.

Vandy likes this

4 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

But will the playmaker run the secondary and get guys in position the way Allen does. You gotta have both. 

I agree .. that's why I feel like dome on this board don't think of his total value.

Everybody on your team can't be superstars... Good tough solid players with leadership is needed

6 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I agree .. that's why I feel like dome on this board don't think of his total value.

Everybody on your team can't be superstars... Good tough solid players with leadership is needed

Single high safety need to be a baller with some range in a Quinn defense. Search your feelings bro. You know it to be true. 

Allen aint a Quinn safety. He's a cut Smitty corner that filled a Dimi gap. 

I'd probably put Neal or Alf at safety and both would outplay Allen.

the most underrated player on our defense is absolutely Keanu Neal. Nobody EVER talks about how great he is, yet he's arguably the best player on the defense. He's #2 on the team in solo tackles (49 to Debo's 51) and does a great job in coverage most games.

Vandy and NeonDeion like this

Allen is incredibly average and no one is going to convince me otherwise. He's average in coverage, has mediocre range, good leader, great IQ for lining guys up, and is poor in run defense.

I can barely even think of any coverages that looked like a one-on-one where he came flying in. Not a lot of deep balls on us, but this is talking this year and last. His range is just...even average is kinda overstating it. You watch the guy and it's sooo subpar.

Don't get me wrong, he isn't really hurting the team, his football IQ is high and he recognizes things well...but if this is his ceiling (and it feels like it is) I'd really like us to look at a protege if a really good guy is available in the 1st or 2nd. If not, sure, keep training Kazee up...but Allen isn't going to take this defense to the next level.

4 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

Allen is incredibly average and no one is going to convince me otherwise. He's average in coverage, has mediocre range, good leader, great IQ for lining guys up, and is poor in run defense.

I can barely even think of any coverages that looked like a one-on-one where he came flying in. Not a lot of deep balls on us, but this is talking this year and last. His range is just...even average is kinda overstating it. You watch the guy and it's sooo subpar.

Don't get me wrong, he isn't really hurting the team, his football IQ is high and he recognizes things well...but if this is his ceiling (and it feels like it is) I'd really like us to look at a protege if a really good guy is available in the 1st or 2nd. If not, sure, keep training Kazee up...but Allen isn't going to take this defense to the next level.

Agreed. Rico has manned this position admirably, but this season has shown he’s he’s hit his ceiling, which isn’t good enough if we’re going to become an elite defense. Early on Quinn had to focus on fixing the most pressing needs first, next logical step is FS. 

Yo_Lover likes this

4 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

So you’re saying we should have a superstar at every position? What elite defense ever had that? You have your stars and you have your average players with high iq’s. That’s what makes up an elite defense. Name all 11 star defensive players on the Seahawks SB defense? You can’t. Because they didn’t have 11 stars. Name the Steelers 11 stars? 49ers 11 stars? Nobody has 11 stars ever.

We’re a top 10 defense with Allen and IMO the piece that will take us to another level isn’t safety. It’s on the dline because as it stands we’re 6th against the pass and 20th against the run. A safety aint gonna take THAT to the next level because if a safety is making that tackle then we’ve already given up too much yardage to a back. Also Allen has one of the fewest yards allowed in his coverage area. Just sayin. Not bad for a super average safety.

He may be incredibly average but I don’t think it’ll be that easy to replace that incredibly average player. Really the difference between he and earl is earl is a risk taker and Allen just sits back to play cleaner and Quinn has told us that over and over. Earl taking risks is why roddy had that TD in the playoff game. He jumped on something else and left roddy in the seam. Everybody THOUGHT it was on Sherman. It was on earl.

Also ppl don’t take in account that Sherman and Earl have a repoire Of sherm might give earl a signal that he’s gonna jump a route and earl knows to have his back. I don’t think Tru does that EVER. Asante used to do that with his safeties. Deion used to do it with his safeties. Since we all know Tru isn’t a route jumper why would Allen take a risk? Or vice versa. Earl telling Kam he’s going so Kam will have his back. Then again, Matt has eaten that Seahawks defense WITH Earl more than once. The trick to playing safety is playing chess with the qb and as long as Allen is playing good chess what’s the issue? Earl is a great chess player. Berry is a great chess player. Troy was a great chess player. 

These are the little extra’s fans don’t think about. Those boys in the legion of boom tell each other when their going after a play. Asante told me last season that he wished he spent more time with tru and Alf because they leave a lot of int’s on the field. Especially Tru and that he seems content on just getting pass break ups. If ANYTHING I don’t see any risk takers on the defense. And that’s not an Allen thing. That’s ALL of them. I’ve seen Poole miss picks he could’ve jumped. The only guy that seems to risk going after picks is debo. Even Alf doesn’t risk going after picks.

I get what you want. You want an Eric Berry/Earl Thomas/ Troy Polomolu  high iq chance taking route jumping safety but the truth of the matter is how many of those are EVER in the nfl at one time?? Those type of safeties are like the lawrence Taylor’s and Reggie Whites of the world. For us to get that kind of safety he’s gonna have to luckily fall into our lap like Jarrett did by slipping in the draft or we go after one in FA and I don’t really like that. I’d rather keep drafting our stars do for now if it ain’t broke don’t fix it cause I can assure you if we change and the next safety allows the defense to start springing leaks like the Moore/Decoud days y’all gon be pissed. 

Also the league has seen this defense for what 7 years now?? There’s no more surprises to it. Even earl gets few int’s now because teams know what to avoid and how to attack it. The best thing you can do is be efficient and make as few mental mistakes as possible. 

theProf, Vandy and NeonDeion like this