The Falcons’ most underrated defender is.....

theProf

The Falcons’ most underrated defender is...

All of our staff picks are from the team’s secondary.

by Jeanna Thomas@jeannathomas Nov 16, 2017, 4:04pm EST

Matt Chambers: Atlanta’s most underrated defender is Ricardo Allen.

Atlanta’s secondary has gotten a whole lot of flak this season, which is crazy because there are playmakers at each position. The most underrated here is definitely Allen. We saw what the defense looked like when he was hurt, and I don’t want to see that ever again. He’s a tough hitter with great speed to patrol the center of the field, and does not get enough credit.

Jeanna Thomas: Ricardo Allen doesn’t get nearly enough credit.

Look no farther than the defensive lapses while Allen was out with a concussion. His role at free safety is more than just playing the position. The team relies on him to be that big-play eraser, but also keep the rest of the defense on track. Don’t underestimate the respect Allen has earned from his teammates and what his leadership means in that locker room, either. He’s fundamentally important to the Falcons defense.

DW: Stop hating on Robert Alford ya losers

Of all the players on this defense, Alford seems to get an inordinate amount of hate. His season started poorly for certain, but he has gotten better with each game played. He was a key factor in shutting down the Cowboys passing offense and is regularly in a position to make plays on the ball. His penalties always seem to get the most attention, but he regularly shuts down receivers for large stretches of the game. He’s not a perfect player, but he’s far better than most fans give him credit for.

Dave Choate: It’s Desmond Trufant, somehow.

Trufant regularly gets ripped for his mistakes, which are often minor, and I’ve seen suggestions that he be demoted/traded/released/fired into the sun this year. It boggles my mind, because Tru is simply one of the better cornerbacks in football, same as he has always been. As long as that misguided vitriol keeps up, he’ll be one of the most underrated Falcons.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/11/16/16666692/the-falcons-most-underrated-defender-is

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Been saying this since he's been here. I've been talking about Allen all season too. 

I don't see it with Allen.  People I guess allocate him credit for teams not going deep on the Falcons, but I really think that has more to do with an extremely conservative defensive philosophy than anything special Allen is doing. 

10 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I don't see it with Allen.  People I guess allocate him credit for teams not going deep on the Falcons, but I really think that has more to do with an extremely conservative defensive philosophy than anything special Allen is doing. 

I don't think he is under rated but I do think he is solid... I do think he deserve his credit tho.

But he is replaceable with a more playmaker with  instincts

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I don't think he is under rated but I do think he is solid... I do think he deserve his credit tho.

But he is replaceable with a more playmaker with  instincts

But will the playmaker run the secondary and get guys in position the way Allen does. You gotta have both. 

One guy who gets little to no love and alot of hate is Poe.

He has not put up huge pass rushing numbers but he constantly pushes the pocket and he is still too much for one guy to block one on one all game....he has been a really good signing......his goal line block on the td sunday was just a bonus!

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

That’s because you’re looking for splash plays. What you have to look for is how the ENTIRE defense plays with him ha without him. Just like I said in a thread earlier two of the staff said the same thing. Our worst defensive performance was without him in the air.

Like I told you playing safety in THIS system is more than just making splash plays. He has to be the cleaner or the eraser. So if anybody makes a mistake it’s up to Allen to stop the bleeding or clean it up. He does that so well that YOU can’t tell or don’t see it like you said.

And because he gets everybody in the right spots we don’t get beat deep. You seem to dismiss that like that’s not important to not give up huge chunk plays to a defense. One it makes you tired. Two you start to play timid. Three you start getting out of position.

I can guarantee you we ain’t a top 10 defense without what Allen does cause a safety without his IQ is not gonna get Tru and Alford set right or tell the linebackers to slide or call out what side the play is going. Yea those are the things he does that you don’t see. Allen is a DIRECT reason Alford plays like the beast he is cause he’s never in a wrong position. Thanks to Allen. 

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

That’s because you’re looking for splash plays. What you have to look for is how the ENTIRE defense plays with him ha without him. Just like I said in a thread earlier two of the staff said the same thing. Our worst defensive performance was without him in the air.

Like I told you playing safety in THIS system is more than just making splash plays. He has to be the cleaner or the eraser. So if anybody makes a mistake it’s up to Allen to stop the bleeding or clean it up. He does that so well that YOU can’t tell or don’t see it like you said.

And because he gets everybody in the right spots we don’t get beat deep. You seem to dismiss that like that’s not important to not give up huge chunk plays to a defense. One it makes you tired. Two you start to play timid. Three you start getting out of position.

I can guarantee you we ain’t a top 10 defense without what Allen does cause a safety without his IQ is not gonna get Tru and Alford set right or tell the linebackers to slide or call out what side the play is going. Yea those are the things he does that you don’t see. Allen is a DIRECT reason Alford plays like the beast he is cause he’s never in a wrong position. Thanks to Allen. 

The Falcons defense gave up 281 total yards and 1 TD in the game Allen missed.  The idea that the defense fell apart without him is a bit of a myth.

11 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

One guy who gets little to no love and alot of hate is Poe.

He has not put up huge pass rushing numbers but he constantly pushes the pocket and he is still too much for one guy to block one on one all game....he has been a really good signing......his goal line block on the td sunday was just a bonus!

Agreed 56. Poe is doing alot of necessary ‘dirty work’ that the average fan or journalist fails to recognize. 

Just now, Peyton said:

I am starting to think Fatboi is Ricardo Allen's agent lol. 

Lol no I’m not. But I understand Quinn’s system and how important THAT position is to make it work. Yes you would love him to get more turnovers but the ball never goes around him cause qb’s constantly check down. 

He dropped one pick and Debo tipped another pick he was about to have in the Dallas game. The reason Quinn likes him so much is because he does the same things earl does. Gets the secondary set, calls out alerts, and doesn’t let them get beat deep. That’s what our defense is bro. Keep everything in front don’t get beat deep. That’s what cover 3 is and you HAVE to have a safety that can run that cause we play a lot of single high safety. 

6 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

Agreed  Alford should be considered for all-pro this year , he has been our shut down corner .

We’ve all known Alford was good but his play REALLY got good with Quinn and Manuel and getting rid of Moore and adding Allen. Playing corner ain’t all just having ability to cover. 

Example if of why a smart safety is important. Remember Asante’s pick 6 against the raiders in 2012?? We the safety have him the wrong coverage. LUCKILY Asante being the vet he was read Plamers 3 step drip and knew it was gonna be a short pass and jumped the route. This was personally told to me out of Asante’s mouth. Had he just listened to that bad coverage like most corners do it would’ve been bad and we probably lose that game.

We’ve all HEARD Alford say how important Allen is to the defense and how they trust him. How he gets them in position to do what they do. And I’m a Robert Alford fan but he hasn’t become a shut down corner for no reason. There was a time as recently as last year fans wanted him cut. 

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He understands this defense more than most folks.

And the thing is it doesn’t HAVE to be Allen. It can be Kazee as long as he does the same things Allen does as far as getting the secondary in the right calls, telling linebackers to slide, calling out alerts BUT also being the ball hawk he is. Heck I want Allen to be more of a playmaker but we have enough playmakers on defense to cover that. What I want HIM to do is keep our defense from bleeding like he does until we GET a safety with an iq as high as his that is a playmaker as well. The tape don’t lie. The defense was disoriented and out of sync when Allen was out. There’s been articles on how much of a student and film study Allen is. That makes ALL the difference. Nobody is gonna fool him and it shows. Kazee definitely got fooled when Allen was out. Got beat for a 40 yarder that lead to a score. 

2 hours ago, Peyton said:

Allen does what he's supposed to do, and more. As I've said before, some just look more attractive.

20 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

And the thing is it doesn’t HAVE to be Allen. It can be Kazee as long as he does the same things Allen does as far as getting the secondary in the right calls, telling linebackers to slide, calling out alerts BUT also being the ball hawk he is. Heck I want Allen to be more of a playmaker but we have enough playmakers on defense to cover that. What I want HIM to do is keep our defense from bleeding like he does until we GET a safety with an iq as high as his that is a playmaker as well. The tape don’t lie. The defense was disoriented and out of sync when Allen was out. There’s been articles on how much of a student and film study Allen is. That makes ALL the difference. Nobody is gonna fool him and it shows. Kazee definitely got fooled when Allen was out. Got beat for a 40 yarder that lead to a score. 

Lack of turnovers is this defense’s biggest weakness right now. So I’m thinking finding that safety that can do both is this defenses’s next logical step. 

But easier said than done.

BTW Haven’t heard too much from the pro-kazee crowd predicting in preseason how he would supplant Rico by now . :rolleyes: . Kazee at best is Rico 2.0, and said all preseason he needed to bulk up a lot (like Rico did) before he can ever expect to play NFL safety.