Falcons energized by mammoth Dontari Poe on goal-line offense

birdz4i

9:59 AM ET
  • mcclure_vaughn.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro
    Vaughn McClure
  • ESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones smiled when he reflected on defensive tackle Dontari Poe being installed in the goal-line package in Sunday's victory over Dallas.

Poe, listed at 6-foot-3 and 346 pounds but likely closer to 330 these days, played three offensive snaps lining up in the backfield and blew up two Cowboys with one block on Tevin Coleman's 1-yard touchdown run. Jones said the Falcons added the “Poe package” for the first time in the week leading into the game.

“Great changeup for us,” Jones said. “Putting Poe in there, and then having a pass play off it... shoot, you might hand him the ball. You never know what you're going to get. I mean, he's a big fullback. He's very athletic. He's a great addition to the team.”

The Falcons knew Poe could contribute in such situations. During his time in Kansas City, Poe had a pair of 1-yard rushing touchdowns and a 2-yard touchdown toss off a jump pass, playing eight offensive snaps.

Now Poe brings his size and athleticism to a team that need a boost in short-yard situations.

“That's the true definition of brotherhood right there,” free safety Ricardo Allen said of Poe. “No matter what they call on Poe to go, he's going to go out there and give them his all.

“The first time he goes in there, he knifes it in and busts a big gap open. And T-Cole runs right into it. And the second time they put Poe in, they end up running a play-action [touchdown pass from Matt Ryan to Austin Hooper]. He bust the hole so open the first time ... I'm not saying he's the only reason the play-action worked, but he gave it his all.”

The Falcons likely won't overdo it with Poe, but it's a nice weapon to have in such goal-line situations throughout the rest of the season. Still left on the schedule are two teams ranked in the top 10 in goal-to-go defense: Minnesota (first) and New Orleans (ninth).

Falcons coach Dan Quinn noted how he got a smile out of the typically reserved Poe when he asked him if he wanted to play some goal-line offense this week.

“As far as the goal-line part is concerned, I’ve been nudging that along for a while, and it’s a part of his game that he’s able to do. Not only can he line up at fullback and he can catch it and he can run it, he’s got some of the best hands we have,” Quinn said. “It definitely brought some energy to our team. And it was a pretty clear running lane to run right behind.

“It was good to have him in the game, and it definitely brought some energy to the team. He’s such a versatile guy and such a good athlete, it’s pretty easy to do.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/257606/falcons-enjoy-having-300-plus-pound-dontari-poe-on-offense

I'm glad they finally went with the Poe Package, only took 'em 9 games...would love to see some more 12 Gauge too with Mo in wildcat.  I'm high key more than a little upset that we still haven't seen his arm yet.

Back to Poe though, this team has had an achilles heal over the years being short yardage situations so I say point the big fella in one direction, point Teco right behind him, and let them gooooooooooooooooo!

31 minutes ago, birdz4i said:
9:59 AM ET
  • mcclure_vaughn.png&w=160&h=160&scale=cro
    Vaughn McClure
  • ESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones smiled when he reflected on defensive tackle Dontari Poe being installed in the goal-line package in Sunday's victory over Dallas.

Poe, listed at 6-foot-3 and 346 pounds but likely closer to 330 these days, played three offensive snaps lining up in the backfield and blew up two Cowboys with one block on Tevin Coleman's 1-yard touchdown run. Jones said the Falcons added the “Poe package” for the first time in the week leading into the game.

“Great changeup for us,” Jones said. “Putting Poe in there, and then having a pass play off it... shoot, you might hand him the ball. You never know what you're going to get. I mean, he's a big fullback. He's very athletic. He's a great addition to the team.”

The Falcons knew Poe could contribute in such situations. During his time in Kansas City, Poe had a pair of 1-yard rushing touchdowns and a 2-yard touchdown toss off a jump pass, playing eight offensive snaps.

Now Poe brings his size and athleticism to a team that need a boost in short-yard situations.

“That's the true definition of brotherhood right there,” free safety Ricardo Allen said of Poe. “No matter what they call on Poe to go, he's going to go out there and give them his all.

“The first time he goes in there, he knifes it in and busts a big gap open. And T-Cole runs right into it. And the second time they put Poe in, they end up running a play-action [touchdown pass from Matt Ryan to Austin Hooper]. He bust the hole so open the first time ... I'm not saying he's the only reason the play-action worked, but he gave it his all.”

The Falcons likely won't overdo it with Poe, but it's a nice weapon to have in such goal-line situations throughout the rest of the season. Still left on the schedule are two teams ranked in the top 10 in goal-to-go defense: Minnesota (first) and New Orleans (ninth).

Falcons coach Dan Quinn noted how he got a smile out of the typically reserved Poe when he asked him if he wanted to play some goal-line offense this week.

“As far as the goal-line part is concerned, I’ve been nudging that along for a while, and it’s a part of his game that he’s able to do. Not only can he line up at fullback and he can catch it and he can run it, he’s got some of the best hands we have,” Quinn said. “It definitely brought some energy to our team. And it was a pretty clear running lane to run right behind.

“It was good to have him in the game, and it definitely brought some energy to the team. He’s such a versatile guy and such a good athlete, it’s pretty easy to do.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/257606/falcons-enjoy-having-300-plus-pound-dontari-poe-on-offense

Now that is a statement worth paying attention to.  I love Poe as a blocking back, but after reading that statement by Quinn, is it posible we see him deployed as a Jumbo TE at some point?

Hmmmmmm.....

43 minutes ago, athell said:

I'm glad they finally went with the Poe Package, only took 'em 9 games...would love to see some more 12 Gauge too with Mo in wildcat.  I'm high key more than a little upset that we still haven't seen his arm yet.

Back to Poe though, this team has had an achilles heal over the years being short yardage situations so I say point the big fella in one direction, point Teco right behind him, and let them gooooooooooooooooo!

combine the two, poe package and 12 gauge together, and see how fast the D calls a time out  :lol:

55 minutes ago, athell said:

Ever since Ovie got hurt we have struggled.

Dimarco was pretty good but not at Ovie's level.........Hopefully Poe can bring some of that back!

1 hour ago, athell said:

Bears called William Perry "The Refrigerator" in a similar situation. 

Is it too early to call "Dontari Poe : The Cooler". LOL!!!

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Yup.....he was automatic on short yardage......he may only get 25 yards a game but he would be like 5 for 5 in to go situations

Do you remember Stacy Mack?  From Jacksonville?  I swear I always drafted Fred Taylor, who would get ALL the yards and NONE of the TDs because Mack was so efficient at the goal line lol.  Stat lines would look like this:

Fred Taylor : 26 carries, 147 yards, 0 TDs

Stacy Mack : 4 carries, 4 yards, 4 TDs

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Do you remember Stacy Mack?  From Jacksonville?  I swear I always drafted Fred Taylor, who would get ALL the yards and NONE of the TDs because Mack was so efficient at the goal line lol.  Stat lines would look like this:

Fred Taylor : 26 carries, 147 yards, 0 TDs

Stacy Mack : 4 carries, 4 yards, 4 TDs

I do....it was crazy.

I remember the 98 vikings too....Leroy Hoard had 9 tds while Robert Smith who was one of the better backs only had 6