Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have a question for some of you that really dig in to some of the minutiae of a play and game plan. Yesterday(or earlier this week) I heard on Good Morning Football, Steve Smith say that Sark seems to just be reading off plays and doesn't have an overall plan to set up plays for the future The next quarter, the next game, for the playoffs if we get there. It seemed like a logical point to me as the offense seemed stale.

Now against Dallas it seemed like the offense operated pretty **** well. Play action, roll outs, ball delivered on time, etc. I know Seattle is a different animal but can we do to the Seahawks what we did to Dallas?

Do you think Sark is now seeing how to better set up plays against the defense? Was it only because guys executed better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm no expert but I though under Shanahan there seems to be an overall strategy to set up big plays against the defense. Ilke running wide zone to one side to set up the roll out on the other side or a deep cross zone pass for Julio that would force the other team's safety having to cover him....etc.

Under Sark, it's just... seems like a bunch of plays being thrown together...

Again I'm no expert  :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shanny was pretty creative and called plays based on mismatches presented in each game. For example, against Denver they took away our wide receivers and running game. He used Coleman and Freeman as wide receivers and they could not stop that. Shanny was also good at making half time adjustments. I really miss his play calling ability:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, falconsfansrus said:

Shanny was pretty creative and called plays based on mismatches presented in each game. For example, against Denver they took away our wide receivers and running game. He used Coleman and Freeman as wide receivers and they could not stop that. Shanny was also good at making half time adjustments. I really miss his play calling ability:(

He used rub routes and mismatches as Denver is primarily man. The difference is that Shanny was doing this on first down, big pass yards to RB, which forced them to attempt to go light nickle even on first down to try to keep up with Coleman. Then we started gashing them for run yards. Sark is still run run pass on some drives early in the game. Shanny always mixed it up early in the game then took what the defense gave him as they adjusted. Shanny just about always ran p/a bootleg on first downs. We don’t do this near as much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

I have a question for some of you that really dig in to some of the minutiae of a play and game plan. Yesterday(or earlier this week) I heard on Good Morning Football, Steve Smith say that Sark seems to just be reading off plays and doesn't have an overall plan to set up plays for the future The next quarter, the next game, for the playoffs if we get there. It seemed like a logical point to me as the offense seemed stale.

Now against Dallas it seemed like the offense operated pretty **** well. Play action, roll outs, ball delivered on time, etc. I know Seattle is a different animal but can we do to the Seahawks what we did to Dallas?

Do you think Sark is now seeing how to better set up plays against the defense? Was it only because guys executed better?

Let me give you another fans take on this:

Andy from Gulf Breeze, FL wrote into the Beek and said:

My biggest beef with Steve Sarkisian’s play calling has been his determination to establish the run and then set up play-action pass. I think Devonta Freeman going down forced him out of his game plan. We got Matt Ryan in a rhythm early and made them fear the pass. I think this opened up the run.

I think Andy was spot on.  Sarkisian has been as stubborn as they come about establishing the run early and I think the only reason we deviated from that against Dallas was due to Freeman going down so don't get too excited.  We will see how we do against Seattle.

Edited by lostnmexico
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Do you think Sark is now seeing how to better set up plays against the defense? Was it only because guys executed better?

The touchdown to Hooper was set up perfectly. We lined up Poe as a FB as we had previously on the Coleman TD. It fooled the Cowboys into thinking it was another run up the middle... As many have mentioned, the play call hasn't been perfect but its more so execution and dumb penalties that is holding this offense back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shanny wouldn't let Matty audible out of certain calls since it was in his game plan.  We would run it with a stacked box just to set up the same play later.   It is probably more difficult to plan things like this when Matty has more freedom.  Also hard to game plan when penalties and dropped passes put you in a tough spot.  I'm hopeful Sark is learning at a fast pace.  We'll see if his reputation for offensive mind holds true with some real NFL playcalling experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Shanny wouldn't let Matty audible out of certain calls since it was in his game plan.  We would run it with a stacked box just to set up the same play later.   It is probably more difficult to plan things like this when Matty has more freedom.  Also hard to game plan when penalties and dropped passes put you in a tough spot.  I'm hopeful Sark is learning at a fast pace.  We'll see if his reputation for offensive mind holds true with some real NFL playcalling experience.

That’s not the reason he couldn’t audible. The reason is because certain personnel wouldn’t call for the audible Matt would want to go to so they had to stay with that play. Big misconception that Matt couldn’t audible with Kyle. He audibled a lot unless these certain instances where a certain personnel grouping was on the field. The other reason is because some of the plays took too long to set up with all the pre snap movements and he wouldn’t have had time to get everybody set. But he could absolutely audible if needed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

That’s not the reason he couldn’t audible. The reason is because certain personnel wouldn’t call for the audible Matt would want to go to so they had to stay with that play. Big misconception that Matt couldn’t audible with Kyle. He audibled a lot unless these certain instances where a certain personnel grouping was on the field. The other reason is because some of the plays took too long to set up with all the pre snap movements and he wouldn’t have had time to get everybody set. But he could absolutely audible if needed. 

You're probably right.  I was just going off memory from this article from last year.  It doesn't get into too much detail though.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/shanahan-ryan-has-audible-option-percent-run-plays/1x4yBBiFmWTLE4VNwWkCSN/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

A change was made on the 2nd quarter of the Cowboys game.  Pretty much the falcons were sick of the stale offense and a change was made.  I don't think the change was Sark calling plays, i think it was Matt Ryan being able to override any play calls. 

Another example of how stupid you look if you think when you’re not use to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, falconsfansrus said:

Shanny was pretty creative and called plays based on mismatches presented in each game. For example, against Denver they took away our wide receivers and running game. He used Coleman and Freeman as wide receivers and they could not stop that. Shanny was also good at making half time adjustments. I really miss his play calling ability:(

Against oakland to neutralize Mack he called a **** ton of bootlegs. Shanny is a smart dude

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Can I ask for a Ban?  This was an attack on me. 

I am serious this was threatening violation of my well being. I am a friendly falcon fan trying to talk football and this random person called me stupid. He threatened me.

 

Can i get a mod to please review and ban please

Edited by R_The_Great
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disagree. If Julio catches that pass at CAR, the offense would be averaging about 26 ppg and on a three game win streak. 

Sark has found his groove. A lot of the issue was player error. Yes, early on Sark was clueless. But I think the turning point was the NE game. Since then, he's been pretty good, with Sunday being easily his best game. Sunday you saw the motion. You saw the consistent bunch looks (clearly saw something on film). You saw him utilize Teco on runs he excels at (outside the tackle and tosses). 

Yall can't praise Kyle's stubbornness about sticking to the run to make the play action work and then chastise Sark for doing the same thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Disagree. If Julio catches that pass at CAR, the offense would be averaging about 26 ppg and on a three game win streak. 

Sark has found his groove. A lot of the issue was player error. Yes, early on Sark was clueless. But I think the turning point was the NE game. Since then, he's been pretty good, with Sunday being easily his best game. Sunday you saw the motion. You saw the consistent bunch looks (clearly saw something on film). You saw him utilize Teco on runs he excels at (outside the tackle and tosses). 

Yall can't praise Kyle's stubbornness about sticking to the run to make the play action work and then chastise Sark for doing the same thing. 

That was my thought that the offense was getting closer and closer to getting it right. I just thought at the end of the segment what Steve smith said  about playing checkers instead of chess kind of made sense for the sluggishness. If we can operate like that in Seattle in Monday we walk away with a win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

That was my thought that the offense was getting closer and closer to getting it right. I just thought at the end of the segment what Steve smith said  about playing checkers instead of chess kind of made sense for the sluggishness. If we can operate like that in Seattle in Monday we walk away with a win

Eh Smith is like every other announcer/broadcaster/etc. They watch highlights and maybe one game. No time. If he actually watched every single game, I'd be impressed and I think he'd be able to go more in depth about it. But 32 teams, 16 games, that's 48 hours of football. Tough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, R_The_Great said:

I am serious this was threatening violation of my well being. I am a friendly falcon fan trying to talk football and this random person called me stupid. He threatened me.

 

Can i get a mod to please review and ban please

Pretty sure you need to look up the word threatened...  which of course actually gives validity to Yo lovers statement of you being stupid.  So he posted a fact and you want him banned?  How did you make it through kindergarten?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...