Matt Shaub's Replacement

lostnmexico

Just saw this on Rotoworld: 

Tyrod Taylor has been benched as the Bills' starting quarterback in favor of fifth-round rookie Nathan Peterman.
This comes four days after Taylor went 9-of-18 for just 56 yards in an embarrassing Week 10 home loss to the Saints. Peterman came in for mop-up work late, going 7-of-10 for 79 yards and a touchdown, and coach Sean McDermott is now rolling with his handpicked guy. Taylor is a holdover from ex-coach Rex Ryan and may have played his final snap for the Bills. Due a $10 million salary and $6 million roster bonus next year, Taylor is an offseason cut candidate.

I have always liked Taylor a great deal and think he would be an excellent back up.  If cut by Buffalo, I think he could come in and be great insurance behind Ryan and also function as a change of pace QB late in games as he makes great plays with his legs.  Maybe I just miss having Michael Vick on the team but I would entertain this if possible.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

I have always liked Taylor a great deal and think he would be an excellent back up.  If cut by Buffalo, I think he could come in and be great insurance behind Ryan and also function as a change of pace QB late in games as he makes great plays with his legs.  Maybe I just miss having Michael Vick on the team but I would entertain this if possible.

No... just no.

6 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

You want a backup QB who can thrive in the same system that your franchise QB prefers. 

Otherwise, you have to change up your entire offensive scheme if your QB goes down. 

I'll stick with Schaub, thank you very much. 

I am confused.  If the back QB QB can thrive in the same system as your franchise QB, why would you have to change scheme? 

I do agree and believe that Taylor would thrive in a WCO but my comment about mobility was simply a statement on his athleticism and hardly an endorsement for changing our scheme. Just pointing out that he would be a better run out the clock guy rather than risking our franchise QB.

Also, we do need a replacement for Schaub as he is not getting any younger.  My guess is he joins the staff next year anyway.

Edited by lostnmexico

1 hour ago, Falcon Ben said:

You want a backup QB who can thrive in the same system that your franchise QB prefers. 

Otherwise, you have to change up your entire offensive scheme if your QB goes down. 

I'll stick with Schaub, thank you very much. 

He's played in this system before. He was in Baltimore when kubiak was there. 

He's from the same lineage as Kubiak.  He worked under Shanahan, too.  When I saw them, I noticed some of the same flourishes with the multiple crossers at different levels, lot of zone running, albeit inside zone and they ran a little more gap schemes.  They seem to work from out of the gun a little more, but I don't have any hard numbers on that.  But as far as the learning curve, it wouldn't be some foreign system to Tyrod.

Tyrod would be one of the best backup QB's in the league at the moment but this is very unlikely to even be entertained by the FO. He wouldn't be cheap either so it's not even worth it. Just let Schaub ride out his contract he is still valuable to this offense.

Edited by Jerz

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

Just saw this on Rotoworld: 

Tyrod Taylor has been benched as the Bills' starting quarterback in favor of fifth-round rookie Nathan Peterman.
This comes four days after Taylor went 9-of-18 for just 56 yards in an embarrassing Week 10 home loss to the Saints. Peterman came in for mop-up work late, going 7-of-10 for 79 yards and a touchdown, and coach Sean McDermott is now rolling with his handpicked guy. Taylor is a holdover from ex-coach Rex Ryan and may have played his final snap for the Bills. Due a $10 million salary and $6 million roster bonus next year, Taylor is an offseason cut candidate.

I have nothing against Tyrod Taylor and think he could be a good QB on the right team, but I don't think that team is Atlanta. I would prefer someone who is familiar with the system in Atlanta, like Hoyer or even RG3.

Im wondering how many of you have watched Buffalo play other than the game against Atlanta.  I have watched quite a few this year because I have Shady on one of my fantasy teams and Taylor just simply hasn't been that good this year.  If he didn't have the ability to make plays with his legs, he probably never would have got a starting job.

Edited by Clark