Atlanta just lost Jermaine Grace to Indianapolis.

lostnmexico

It feels like a lot of former Atlanta Falcons have been getting action elsewhere, and next up is former University of Miami linebacker Jermaine Grace. He looked very good in preseason, but was never able to crack into playing time on defense. In the end, Atlanta stuck with the veteran motivator Sean Weatherspoon and special teams ace LaRoy Reynolds over Grace.

One team’s trash is another team’s treasure... at least until they need to shuffle the roster. The Indianapolis Colts picked up Grace today.

I would bet the Falcons were hoping they could slip Grace to their practice squad. He was a favorite for a practice squad spot, as he needed some time to develop after missing a year of college. Atlanta doesn’t get that chance.

Grace was considered a little undersized, but showed really nice speed during the preseason. He was one of Miami’s best defensive players before he was suspended for receiving improper rental cars. I’m a little disappointed to see Grace leave. He had some potential and could develop into a solid player. Now Indianapolis gets a shot at turning him into a defensive contributor.

This is the price of solid scouting and player evaluation. If you do a good job, you simply will not be able to keep everyone. If you think this hurts, just watch what happens as salary caps decisions are made 2 or 3 years from now with all our youth on the defensive side. 

The truth is, he is indeed an interesting player. However, he was unlikely to unseat anyone we have playing now from a starting job. He was bench and ST depth at best. He'll do better for himself in Indy. 

My opinion is that we are in "win now" mode. (Of course, with our youth we are also in "win later" mode.) Our season is not in dire straits. We haven't played enough division games for it to be. For a team that can win now, Weatherspoon is the guy you want taking snaps over Grace with this season on the line. Same for Reynolds.  If you clearly rebuilding while healing your QBs shoulder, Grace is the guy you want of the three. 

Don't really know what their intentions were, but hope they are self aware of the fact that we're coming off a superbowl appearance powered in part by a crazy amount of rookie contract talents. Everyone is gonna want some of that. We lose a lotta fan favorites on the waiver wire now it seems/

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

If you think this hurts, just watch what happens as salary caps decisions are made 2 or 3 years from now with all our youth on the defensive side. 

Debo, Beasley, Neal, Campbell, Grady and Takk a year later. 

That is going to suck. 

I'd try my hardest to keep Beasley, Debo, Grady and Takk, but that's three kick-*** defensive linemen to pay more or less simultaneously. 

I have a hard time getting worked up over Grace. 

3 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

Never know what goes on behind the scenes.  He obviously was let go for a reason.  A player is not really “lost” when you release them from the practice squad.

one article I read said he'd been fighting a hamstring issue most of the year so far. Maybe they hoped that would keep anyone else from being interested and they'd sign him back

34 minutes ago, red falcon said:

As soon as i read the topic i said the same. Was excited to have him on the team.

If memory serves me, weren't you a fan of Roosevelt Nix? the DT we tried to turn into a fullback, but cut? I do believe he's playing a very good role in that position for pittsburgh....totally off topic, but similar in a 'chaz's flashbacks' kinda way  ;)