Falcons are top 10 in both offense and defense

It's truly a wonder how this team is 5-4. 

If not for inopportune turnovers and let downs at the worst possible time, this team is at least 6-3. In reality we should probably be 7-2. I was doing some casual reviewing of team stats and was surprised to see that despite the apparent down season on offense, we're actually ranked 9th in total offense. Our real issue isn't moving the ball, it's really just turnovers. We're tied for 22nd worst turnover differential. There are other teams that have given the ball away just about as much or more (ie. Philidelphia and New Orleans has 10, Tennessee has 13, LA Rams have 12) but they are taking the ball away a lot more frequently than we are. For reference, last year we were 4th overall in turnover differential. But the offense itself isn't as bad as folks would think.

The defense was the biggest surprise to me. We're actually ranked as a better overall total defense than we are our offense at 7th overall. We're giving up the 6th fewest overall passing yards per game. We're also top 10 in scoring defense holding opponents to a shade under 20 point per game. The rush yards we're giving up are what's stopping us from being an elite group as we're currently 19th overall. The other area for concern is our turnovers, or lack there of. We have to find a way to change this if we want to make into the playoffs. But overall the defense isn't nearly as bad as some would have you think. 

All in all, we need to cut the turnovers on offense and create some on defense. The turnover differential is the single greatest issue with this team in 2017. If that can be corrected, they can go back to looking alot like the 2016 version if not better. 

Offense:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total

Defense:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mc said:

Part of last year was garbage passing yds because we were up by 3 td in 2nd half of most games. 

Solved that problem......

This is very true, playing closer games and from behind more has our opponents trying to grind it out more than last season where they were trying to play catch up and getting chunk yardage against our prevent D. 

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Good info.  Honest question: if the board knew thru week 10 we would be top 8 in both offense & defense, what would you guess our record would be?  8-1 would have been my guess

Edited by Falconsin2012
31 minutes ago, cb5639 said:

They should be kicking their self for dropping those Buf & Mia game. There's no way they should have lost to those teams. Hopefully they can do enough to overcome those.

Truthfully if they would get out of their own way we’d only have one loss, and that would be to New England because they looked like complete chit that game. Hopefully we’ve turned a corner. 

3 hours ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

It's truly a wonder how this team is 5-4. 

If not for inopportune turnovers and let downs at the worst possible time, this team is at least 6-3. In reality we should probably be 7-2. I was doing some casual reviewing of team stats and was surprised to see that despite the apparent down season on offense, we're actually ranked 9th in total offense. Our real issue isn't moving the ball, it's really just turnovers. We're tied for 22nd worst turnover differential. There are other teams that have given the ball away just about as much or more (ie. Philidelphia and New Orleans has 10, Tennessee has 13, LA Rams have 12) but they are taking the ball away a lot more frequently than we are. For reference, last year we were 4th overall in turnover differential. But the offense itself isn't as bad as folks would think.

The defense was the biggest surprise to me. We're actually ranked as a better overall total defense than we are our offense at 7th overall. We're giving up the 6th fewest overall passing yards per game. We're also top 10 in scoring defense holding opponents to a shade under 20 point per game. The rush yards we're giving up are what's stopping us from being an elite group as we're currently 19th overall. The other area for concern is our turnovers, or lack there of. We have to find a way to change this if we want to make into the playoffs. But overall the defense isn't nearly as bad as some would have you think. 

All in all, we need to cut the turnovers on offense and create some on defense. The turnover differential is the single greatest issue with this team in 2017. If that can be corrected, they can go back to looking alot like the 2016 version if not better. 

Offense:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total

Defense:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Playing Devils Advocate But the Falcons are also 2 dropped passes away from being 3-6.

As they say you are what your record says you are.

41 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Playing Devils Advocate But the Falcons are also 2 dropped passes away from being 3-6.

As they say you are what your record says you are.

Or 8-0

Let's look at mid game stats. Pressure builds up with the game on the line. So Julio's drop, as well as Chicago and Detroit were legitimate pressure plays.

36 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

This team is better than what the record shows - they just cant seem to get out of there own way.

I think the issue with the team wasn’t super bowl hangover but pressing. Trying  to show we don’t have super bowl hangover from an execution standpoint. There’s no way we shouldn’t be 8-1. The ONLY @ss whipping we received was in NE. 

We're 7-2 easily if you simply have better execution.  Penalties, dropped balls, tipped pics, missed tackles, blown assignments... It's all mental discipline & I have to put part of that on the coaches as well.

The deep ball connections will begin to come around too.  JJ didn't help our cause the other day either.  The fact that the WR's couldn't work with Ryan in preseason due to injuries etc & the fact that we're forced yet again to synch up with a new OC with timing is not helping either.

I sure hope we can block well enough in Seattle to show more progression this season.

21 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

We're 7-2 easily if you simply have better execution.  Penalties, dropped balls, tipped pics, missed tackles, blown assignments... It's all mental discipline & I have to put part of that on the coaches as well.

The deep ball connections will begin to come around too.  JJ didn't help our cause the other day either.  The fact that the WR's couldn't work with Ryan in preseason due to injuries etc & the fact that we're forced yet again to synch up with a new OC with timing is not helping either.

I sure hope we can block well enough in Seattle to show more progression this season.

Shoot I’m tryna figure out where the second loss would’ve come from. We were ahead of the panthers and blew the lead. The only team that have it to us was NE. 

1 hour ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Agree. Aren’t we last in the league in average field position. It’s hard to drive 80-90 yards every time. That of course all comes down to the defense not causing turnovers and getting off the field. 

2 hours ago, TexasFalcon4Life said:

Agree. Aren’t we last in the league in average field position. It’s hard to drive 80-90 yards every time. That of course all comes down to the defense not causing turnovers and getting off the field. 

It's simply execution.  You're going to get pinned if the D only tightens once the opponent crosses our 50 yard line.  Special teams is also not playing well but it screams execution again... penalties etc.

Execution is hurting both sides of the ball.  The stupid penalties and missed assignments have affected both sides. But to your point, we've also witnessed at least 3 or 4 turnovers nullified due to penalties.  

Dam penalties are killing this team among other things.  

On 11/16/2017 at 2:26 PM, HASHBROWN3 said:

It's simply execution.  You're going to get pinned if the D only tightens once the opponent crosses our 50 yard line.  Special teams is also not playing well but it screams execution again... penalties etc.

Execution is hurting both sides of the ball.  The stupid penalties and missed assignments have affected both sides. But to your point, we've also witnessed at least 3 or 4 turnovers nullified due to penalties.  

Dam penalties are killing this team among other things.  

True. Every time we have a good play, especially a TO, **** penalties kill it.