16,000 scientists sign dire warning to humanity over health of planet

Statick

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/health/scientists-warn-humanity/index.html

"More than 16,000 scientists from 184 countries have published a second warning to humanity advising that we need to change our wicked ways to help the planet.

In 1992, 1,700 independent scientists signed the "World Scientists' Warning to Humanity." The letter warned that "human beings and the natural world are on a collision course" and if environmental damage was not stopped, our future was at risk."

"Though the Trump administration has said climate change programs are a "waste of your money" and that climate change itself is an "expensive hoax," the data suggest that temperature increases will probably cause a shortage in the world's food crops. The weather will become more damaging, with more intense storms. Sea levels will rise and threaten coastal cities like Miami and New Orleans."

1 hour ago, Statick said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/14/health/scientists-warn-humanity/index.html

"More than 16,000 scientists from 184 countries have published a second warning to humanity advising that we need to change our wicked ways to help the planet.

In 1992, 1,700 independent scientists signed the "World Scientists' Warning to Humanity." The letter warned that "human beings and the natural world are on a collision course" and if environmental damage was not stopped, our future was at risk."

"Though the Trump administration has said climate change programs are a "waste of your money" and that climate change itself is an "expensive hoax," the data suggest that temperature increases will probably cause a shortage in the world's food crops. The weather will become more damaging, with more intense storms. Sea levels will rise and threaten coastal cities like Miami and New Orleans."

We've been all over this subject.  I'm not letting the weather affect me and neither are the polar bears.  

polar_bear_party1.png?w=300&h=182

A perfect time to post this again straight form the trump administration

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/11/03/trump-administration-releases-report-finds-no-convincing-alternative-explanation-for-climate-change/?utm_term=.d158b102b4bd

“It is extremely likely that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century,” the document reports. “For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.”

I had this older gentleman that worked for me for several years in the early 2000’s (he’s probably about 85 now) that worked for and retired from Chrysler for a long time in Delaware. 

We started talking about hybrid vehicles when they first started going mainstream and he said that Chrysler had a fully electric vehicle in the 50’s-60’s that they had at his location. He said one day he went to work and it was gone and they never saw it again. 

Makes me wonder just how much corporate greed has impacted history and the future. 

36 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I had this older gentleman that worked for me for several years in the early 2000’s (he’s probably about 85 now) that worked for and retired from Chrysler for a long time in Delaware. 

We started talking about hybrid vehicles when they first started going mainstream and he said that Chrysler had a fully electric vehicle in the 50’s-60’s that they had at his location. He said one day he went to work and it was gone and they never saw it again. 

Makes me wonder just how much corporate greed has impacted history and the future. 

Or this in Los Angeles which the car companies also killed.

2 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

There have been electric cars since litterally the beginning......unfortunately they never took off due to alot of factors

21 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Effect, sure.  A life-threatening effect, no.  Don't doubt me on this.  

if you thought the syrian refugee crisis was a nightmare, you haven't seen anything. 

eighty percent of bangladesh is a flood plain and it has one hundred and sixty-three million people.

and make no mistake - the culpability is ours.  

5 minutes ago, achilles return said:

if you thought the syrian refugee crisis was a nightmare, you haven't seen anything. 

eighty percent of bangladesh is a flood plain and it has one hundred and sixty-three million people.

and make no mistake - the culpability is ours.  

Florida will be completely underwater too.

Oil/Coal lobby are using the same tactics and acting just like the Tobacco lobby. It took decades to convince people that the science was correct and to push back the efforts of the Tobacco industry to try and snuff out medical research on the direct link to Cancer.

Same thing is happening now and the same dumb ***** are falling for it.

Basically if you have a harmful product and want to keep your business around longer pay off Republicans and give money to the conservative media machine so dumb ***** will believe you and let you continue to peddle your harmful product longer.

In case you haven't noticed companies will literally kill people in order to maintain their profits. Trusting them with any type of self regulation is pretty much asking them to murder you after they take your money.

Edited by MAD597

32 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Florida will be completely underwater too.

You guys act like those people are going to wake up tomorrow and find themselves underwater.

IF the seas rise, it will take decades. When the tide moves an inch closer, just step back.

...or just build dams/ dikes like the Dutch if you're that stubborn.

31 minutes ago, Doozer said:

You guys act like those people are going to wake up tomorrow and find themselves underwater.

IF the seas rise, it will take decades. When the tide moves an inch closer, just step back.

This is procrastination talk. And no one is saying that Florida or anywhere else will be flooded overnight. 

52 minutes ago, Doozer said:

florida is literally sitting on top of a limestone bedrock that is so notoriously porous that sea water will literally come out of the ground. there's nothing we'll be able to do to stop that. 

https://www.npr.org/2016/05/25/477014085/rising-seas-push-too-much-salt-into-the-florida-everglades

1 hour ago, Doozer said:

Great idea!  Some questions though.

1) How do you just "step back" billions of dollars in infrastructure and development?

2) How far do you step back? Just an inch at a time? Given the uncertainty regarding mitigation and thus future sea level rise, wouldn't we be shooting at a moving target that way?  Wouldn't that potentially lead to dangerously underestimating how far we need to move back or, conversely, inefficiently spending funds moving too far back?

3) Are you aware that Florida alone is almost 4 times the size of Holland?

4) You understand that an inch in sea level rise doesn't necessarily equate to moving back one inch, right? What with storm surges and aquifers and wastewater treatment and so forth and so on?