TheFalcoholic

Freeman Considering Helmet Change

99 posts in this topic

freeman has to change his style of play this is not going to protect you 100%, he cannot run head first into defenders. He needs to learn to get out of bounds or go down. i mean its not gonna matter what style of helmet he has, if he keeps playing like a big bruising rb.

Edited by caponine
osiruz, Drew4719, Vandy and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, athell said:

Again, in a league where "player safety is paramount, why are helmets designed to lessen chance of concussion not mandatory in this dumb league?  I get some don't like the feel, but screw them, if it's safer it should be mandatory.

The league appears to be slow to adopt new technology in this case, but we have to allow for the possibility that this new helmet has not yet been proven to reduce concussions.  

caponine and athell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His career is in jeopardy he should either retire before he becomes a zombie or get with a new helmet.

Why do players bother with the older less safe helmets anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, caponine said:

freeman has to change his style of play this is not going to protect you 100%, he cannot run head first into defenders. He needs to learn to get out of bounds or go down. i mean its not gonna matter what style of helmet he has, if he keeps playing like a big bruising rb.

There you go. I was a small RB and I NEVER lowered my head when I saw a much bigger linebacker coming at me. I’ve said it all year about free to stop trying to run over bigger guys. At least leading with his head. Put a shoulder into it. He gave himself a concussion against the Vikings in 15 hitting somebody head up. He has to pick his battles better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

There you go. I was a small RB and I NEVER lowered my head when I saw a much bigger linebacker coming at me. I’ve said it all year about free to stop trying to run over bigger guys. At least leading with his head. Put a shoulder into it. He gave himself a concussion against the Vikings in 15 hitting somebody head up. He has to pick his battles better. 

He needs to go back and watch some tape of Warrick Dunn.  He was very good at knowing when to fight for a yard and when to go down.  Even as a smaller back he had a long career with few injuries as a result.

IamFRESCO1, JT, putnam6 and 4 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I would think that the only reason he's considering and hasn't done it already is that he can't think clearly at the moment.

He’s thinking clearly. Having played when I chose a helmet it had a lot to do with the weight of it on my head. If it made me feel slower I didn’t wear that helmet. As a RB your free movement is key to how you play. Any restrictions affects your game. When I played the top 2 helmets were Bike and Riddell. I wore Bike because you could pump up the inside lining for more protection. I hated riddell. I called that the headache helmet. PLUS Bike looked cooler. 

Tandy, JerseyNo12 and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

He needs to go back and watch some tape of Warrick Dunn.  He was very good at knowing when to fight for a yard and when to go down.  Even as a smaller back he had a long career with few injuries as a result.

Free took that hit at the line. Dunn would go down in open field if it was a battle he couldn’t win. He’d fight at the line of scrimmage like Free was. A back that doesn’t run hard at the LOS won’t be playing. Dunn made his go down decisions beyond the LOS in open field. The hit free took was because he actuallly thought he was gonna run through hitchins. He should’ve dropped a SHOULDER on hitchins not his head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

There you go. I was a small RB and I NEVER lowered my head when I saw a much bigger linebacker coming at me. I’ve said it all year about free to stop trying to run over bigger guys. At least leading with his head. Put a shoulder into it. He gave himself a concussion against the Vikings in 15 hitting somebody head up. He has to pick his battles better. 

True. As short as Free is it's already hard for defenders to avoid hitting his head. It's even more so difficult when Free dips so low when initiating contact.

I like that Free is a physical runner, but like you said he's gotta pick his battles better or he won't last much longer. Also there's life after football to think about, and I'd hate for him to have nagging headaches or migraines that prompt him to rely on prescription medication.

TheFatboi, Jerz and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

True. As short as Free is it's already hard for defenders to avoid hitting his head. It's even more so difficult when Free dips so low when initiating contact.

I like that Free is a physical runner, but like you said he's gotta pick his battles better or he won't last much longer. Also there's life after football to think about, and I'd hate for him to have nagging headaches or migraines that prompt him to rely on prescription medication.

Absolutely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, athell said:

Again, in a league where "player safety is paramount, why are helmets designed to lessen chance of concussion not mandatory in this dumb league?  I get some don't like the feel, but screw them, if it's safer it should be mandatory.

It’s not totally proven to reduce concussions and as with any new tech there can be pros and cons. It make wiggle on his head more than a traditional helmet... who knows why players aren’t jumping on it. 

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

It’s not totally proven to reduce concussions and as with any new tech there can be pros and cons. It make wiggle on his head more than a traditional helmet... who knows why players aren’t jumping on it. 

It has been proven to reduce impact which inturn SHOULD reduce concussions and is widely known as the safest helmet made.  For reference :

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-safest-helmet-in-football-whats-inside-the-nfls-newest-headgear/

I honestly just wonder if it comes down to $ and teams not wanting to pay the extra cash but that is just me hypothesizing.

ParanoidAndroid likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Free took that hit at the line. Dunn would go down in open field if it was a battle he couldn’t win. He’d fight at the line of scrimmage like Free was. A back that doesn’t run hard at the LOS won’t be playing. Dunn made his go down decisions beyond the LOS in open field. The hit free took was because he actuallly thought he was gonna run through hitchins. He should’ve dropped a SHOULDER on hitchins not his head. 

I believe he did drop his shoulder.  Rewatch that gif posted up a few posts.  He lowers his left shoulder into the defender.  Hutchins just took a really bad angle upwards, not looking, and lead with his helmet into Free's helmet.

Flying Falcon and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, athell said:

I believe he did drop his shoulder.  Rewatch that gif posted up a few posts.  He lowers his left shoulder into the defender.  Hutchins just took a really bad angle upwards, not looking, and lead with his helmet into Free's helmet.

I mean actually drop his shoulder into hitchens head. He dropped his head. Of course your shoulders are gonna follow your head but free has a tendency to LEAD with his head and not his shoulder. 

athell and caponine like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I mean actually drop his shoulder into hitchens head. He dropped his head. Of course your shoulders are gonna follow your head but free has a tendency to LEAD with his head and not his shoulder. 

I dunno, I still think he dropped his shoulder.  It's the 3rd angle in that gif but yeah he could have made more of an effort to make sure his shoulder was out in front for sure.  I'm still mad at the hit and may still be a tad bitter :argh:

Flying Falcon and Jerz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now