Atlanta's Defense Destroying Receivers...

...when the QB leaves the pocket. I haven't noticed it before this game, but I just watched the game for the first time (saw most of it on Red Zone). Every time Dak left the pocket, receivers were being "eliminated."  It was actually pretty good tactic. One way to keep from getting burnt on a scramble and throw. Have we been doing that all year? Maybe it was an adjustment?  Hard for them to block while they're snorting rubber pellets out of the field turf. Its a great way to take advantage of the rules (no illegal contact once QB leaves pocket). 

Our defense got away with a lot of crap today. I hate to admit it, but normally that's the kind of crap we get penalized on, on all them 3rd and freaking 17s. Even our 1 pick was overturned again because of the same old crap. Guys gotta be careful. We got quite a few breaks today, and even Mike Pereira was wondering on a couple that were like "how'd they miss that, the refs were staring right at them?" I saw 2 facemasks from Clayborn that weren't called on his sacks, a lot of ticky tack hits that could've been flagged and 2 obvious pass interferences from our corners. That said, it isn't illegal if you don't get caught I guess. What bothers me is that Julio is constantly getting fouled and it's never called. lol

Edited by FenixFalcon

From NFL rule 8 section 4:

ILLEGAL CONTACT WITHIN FIVE YARDS Article 2 Illegal Contact Within Five Yards. Within the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender may not make original contact in the back of a receiver, nor may he maintain contact after the receiver has moved beyond a point that is even with the defender.

ILLEGAL CONTACT BEYOND FIVE-YARD ZONE Article 3 Illegal Contact Beyond Five-Yard Zone. Beyond the five-yard zone, if the player who receives the snap remains in the pocket with the ball, a defender may use his hands or arms only to defend or protect himself against impending contact caused by a receiver. If the receiver attempts to evade the defender, the defender cannot initiate contact that redirects, restricts, or impedes the receiver in any way.

NFL Rulebook

2017 rulebook 

Noticed the first link is from the 2011 rulebook, reads the same in 2017.

1 hour ago, FenixFalcon said:

Our defense got away with a lot of crap today. I hate to admit it, but normally that's the kind of crap we get penalized on, on all them 3rd and freaking 17s. Even our 1 pick was overturned again because of the same old crap. Guys gotta be careful. We got quite a few breaks today, and even Mike Pereira was wondering on a couple that were like "how'd they miss that, the refs were staring right at them?" I saw 2 facemasks from Clayborn that weren't called on his sacks, a lot of ticky tack hits that could've been flagged and 2 obvious pass interferences from our corners. That said, it isn't illegal if you don't get caught I guess. What bothers me is that Julio is constantly getting fouled and it's never called. lol

This was not illegal. The Patriots have done it for years. Once the QB leaves the pocket, he is a runner and the receivers are potential blockers. You can attack them in any way you can a lead blocker. You can't hold them, but you can run through them. The official correctly picked up the flag. It will be important again next week vs. Wilson.

2 hours ago, FenixFalcon said:

It went both ways. In the first 5 minutes I saw two uncalled PIs on Julio, Takk grabbed around the neck, and the stupid knee down unreversed call. Dallas got ALL the early calls. When it looked like it could become a blowout the OTHER way, the refs softened up on us. Then we got momentum and could not be stopped.

58 minutes ago, kschreck said:

Last year Sherman introduced himself to Walter Powell. (whoever that is)

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/11/8/13560260/richard-sherman-bills-illegal-contact-walter-powell

Much like Claiborne decided to get to know Prescott today. 

He introduced himself so many times to him, he probably thought he was meeting Jay-Z! 

Lmao

33 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

It went both ways. In the first 5 minutes I saw two uncalled PIs on Julio, Takk grabbed around the neck, and the stupid knee down unreversed call. Dallas got ALL the early calls. When it looked like it could become a blowout the OTHER way, the refs softened up on us. Then we got momentum and could not be stopped.

Why I despise NFL officials in a nutshell. They’re supposed to call the game, not attempt to sway the outcome. 

The game was fairly officiated. Freeman took a shot to the head. So did Julio. Coleman was dragged down by his facemask twice but only got the call once. Ryan was hit in the legs from behind. Cowboys did the same ticky tack stuff and got away with a lot of it. They went for the head it seemed like all game 

Thought the same thing. I will be the first to admit when the calls were leaning in our favor, and for the most part they were. 

10 hours ago, red falcon said:

Yeah this is the 1st time ive seen it. Didnt know you could do that.

9 hours ago, Behrtoldt said:

youre not supposed to be able to

Totally legal. I remember Seattle in a game a few years ago. It was down to the last play, it may have been against Buffalo, and Buffalo needed a TD to win and were on about Seattle’s 5 yard line, and Sherman blew up their reciver in the end zone the same way. Everybody was screaming for a penalty but it was perfectly legal since the QB ran out of the pocket.