Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

Are we starting to play more of Shanahan's offense?

29 posts in this topic

I didn't get to see much of the game, but obviously we moved down the field in a much more dominating fashion than at any other time this year.  I"m not really interested in a couple players playing better like Clayborne, since everyone has good and bad days.  The ONLY hope I see for this team in the long run is going back to last year's Shanahan offense as much as possible.  People on this forum have given reasons that Shark isn't nearly as effective in his playcalling--the most interesting observation is that Shanahan MADE ryan do things that were difficult for him but made him the MVP, and now Ryan is just doing what's comfortable (with less effectiveness). 

My question is strategic rather than tactical--are we starting to run more of Shanahan's playbook?  more throwing to our running backs, etc.  If not, today was just a lucky blip on the radar and we won't be going far in the playoffs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking of last year, we really did not have any really deep throws today at all today.  Even Gabriel's big catch for 34 yards was mainly yards after a short pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There was some familiar stuff out there.  Those split zone runs then the play-action off of it, the QB movement stuff, stacked and bunch formations for the receivers, etc. 

The 2nd half looked just like the 2016 offense minus Freeman. Play actions with Ryan rolling the opposite side of the blockers, zone runs, etc. They looked great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked that once we got into the red zone we went up tempo , thar puts a lot of pressure on the defense and their not able to substitute. we need to keep that up going forward ,, Sark called a great game today and with Freeman getting hurt early may hv actually helped us forcing Sark to establish the short passing game to open up the run . This was easily Mat Ryan best game this year to this point . LETS JUST HOPE THIS WASNT A FLUKE ! or just maybe we are finding our stride .. hope so anyway . 

SkerFalcon8710 and CaliFalcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've always been playing Shanahan's offense, it just seems like Sark is getting a better feel for the system now. I won't hold my breath because I'm still skeptical of Sarkisian, but the last few weeks have been promising.

A lot of good stuff by the Falcons offense today. Hopefully Sark can continue to grow/ gain a deeper appreciation of Kyle's offense going forward. 

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Thinking of last year, we really did not have any really deep throws today at all today.  Even Gabriel's big catch for 34 yards was mainly yards after a short pass.

Pretty much taking what the defense gave us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but only because Freeman got hurt and Sark couldn't continue to run it up the middle for little or no gain on 1st down putting us in a hole time and time again. Freeman being out forced Sark to be more creative on all four downs and to run Coleman outside instead of inside. I'm hopeful Sark doesn't revert back when Freeman returns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just look at rate of 20+ yard catches by Julio this year alone vs last season. 27 receptions of 20+ yards & 5 for 40+ yards vs just 8 receptions for 20+ and 1 for 40+ so far this year.

That's 32 big plays for 2016 in just 14 total games vs 9 in 9 games 2017. 10 if he doesn't drop that easy TD vs CAR.

Of course, we won't match last season from our slow start but if they get the deep ball down to go with everything else we saw today after that first drive? We can beat anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot more motions and playactions. It did seem like dbs were all over our wrs when the ball got there. A lot of passes were contested difference is they made catches this time.

Im wondering if pass rush had a lot to do with it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ket222 said:

I didn't get to see much of the game, but obviously we moved down the field in a much more dominating fashion than at any other time this year.  I"m not really interested in a couple players playing better like Clayborne, since everyone has good and bad days.  The ONLY hope I see for this team in the long run is going back to last year's Shanahan offense as much as possible.  People on this forum have given reasons that Shark isn't nearly as effective in his playcalling--the most interesting observation is that Shanahan MADE ryan do things that were difficult for him but made him the MVP, and now Ryan is just doing what's comfortable (with less effectiveness). 

My question is strategic rather than tactical--are we starting to run more of Shanahan's playbook?  more throwing to our running backs, etc.  If not, today was just a lucky blip on the radar and we won't be going far in the playoffs

Nope. Players just executed the offense better.

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if we aren't going much closer to Shanahan's strategy (just executing the offense better), I'd say we won't go far in the playoffs.  Players have good days and bad for 'execution'.  It's shanahan's bewildering combination of offensive plays and 'staying one step ahead' that made us so unbelievably exciting and dominant.  If we don't do that we're just another decent team that's unlikely to go far.  Stating the obvious, but honestly why can't Quinn see that and Ryan force shark to call those type of plays?  I'm sure Sun Tsu must have said something like 'the battle is won before it is fought'

others seemed to indicate we're looking more like last year with playaction and motions, so perhaps I shouldn't be so pessimistic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Thinking of last year, we really did not have any really deep throws today at all today.  Even Gabriel's big catch for 34 yards was mainly yards after a short pass.

A lot of our big plays last year was catch and run. That’s a staple of the WCO. Aaron Rodgers is so good because he hits wr’s in stride out short routes and they run for huge gains. Same with Montana back in the 80’s. Julio took a 5 yard slant to the house twice last year and Matt threw for 500 yards. That wasn’t from bombs. That was from yac. We got a lot of yac last night. If we’re back to that NOW watch us start hitting the bombs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slimjim said:

Just look at rate of 20+ yard catches by Julio this year alone vs last season. 27 receptions of 20+ yards & 5 for 40+ yards vs just 8 receptions for 20+ and 1 for 40+ so far this year.

That's 32 big plays for 2016 in just 14 total games vs 9 in 9 games 2017. 10 if he doesn't drop that easy TD vs CAR.

Of course, we won't match last season from our slow start but if they get the deep ball down to go with everything else we saw today after that first drive? We can beat anyone.

The secret tho is many of those big plays were catch and run not bombs. Last night we finally started getting yac plays and it was because we executed well. The route combinations left a guy open in space like it was supposed to do. We weret doing that well earlier. 

Schwarzwald likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There was some familiar stuff out there.  Those split zone runs then the play-action off of it, the QB movement stuff, stacked and bunch formations for the receivers, etc. 

I want to see more stretch outside zone running plays ... and bootleg off to the other side and dump off to the TE. We ran a tons of those.

but mostly more outside zone stretch runs please.... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Malachore said:

Our RBs had 1 catch today. I think running more outside zone and isolating our playmakers was the difference. 

That and they made plays when given the chance.

THIS is the key right here, executing the plays when they're there

 

were there any dropped passes yesterday?

I only got to watch about half the first quarter, so I'm asking seriously

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

THIS is the key right here, executing the plays when they're there

 

were there any dropped passes yesterday?

I only got to watch about half the first quarter, so I'm asking seriously

 

I'm not sure if they were official but I feel like the one on third down that Julio didn't get and the interception off Sanu's hands both should have been caught.

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Thinking of last year, we really did not have any really deep throws today at all today.  Even Gabriel's big catch for 34 yards was mainly yards after a short pass.

Other than the pass that Matt missed to Hall. I think they were playing that deep safety look that the Bills were playing when they played us but I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Malachore said:

I'm not sure if they were official but I feel like the one on third down that Julio didn't get and the interception all sinews hands both should have been caught.

oh yeah, I did see that one off Sanu's hands. it was high, but yeah I feel he should have had that.

 

Like I read in another thread, it seems like after good ole boy Ed picked up that roughing flag, Matt got fired up and to me, that seems to be what it takes for this team to dominate. Man I wish he could be that fired up all the time

 

Malachore likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites