RedandBlack4Life!

#1 Georgia vs #10 Auburn Game week

867 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, notthatcool said:

Here is the way I see it.  Auburn beat Bama 6 straight times from from 02-07.  It was fun, but two years later Bama won a national championship.  Those six wins meant nothing to me at that point because we hadn't won a NC in my lifetime.  Beating a rival is fun, but give me something in the trophy case.  

i understand what you are saying.  it all matters though and It is part of talking smack (even good natured).   only 1 team wins a title every year, but with rivals we play every year so those head to head matchups matter.  since i have been old enough to watch football UGA had a 4 year period that auburn has never had (that I can remember) of losing 4 games in 4 seasons and playing for 2 titles (actually was competing for 3, but we lost to PIttsburgh)  and winning 1 of them (something auburn was able to equal).  regarding your 6 game winning streak over bama all I saw on message boards and in person were auburn fans talking smack to bama fans regardless of not winning a national title in a very long time so yeah for most head to head matches mean a lot to most fans.  enjoy the win man.. :) hopefully we get a rematch.  

33 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

i definitely agree with that above.  you can look at this game and blame this unit or that unit or this coach or that coach, but the reaiity is this:  The team went into the game overconfident feeling they could just hit auburn in the chin and their knees would buckle, but that isn't what happened.  we did so many uncharacteristic things in that game (heck sony michel got a 15 yard penalty) that it was clearly not a talent issue, but a want to issue imo.  the team just wasn't ready and it showed.  this type of game will happen with a squad who wasn't in this position before.(#1 overall) and as mike leach said they had all of their fat little girlfriends in their ear telling them how great they are.. lol 

Mike Leach brings it, says it, dang all consequences....Love his interviews

6 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

he is one of my favorite coaches.. even if i don't agree with his view i enjoy his delivery of it. lol

27 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

since i have been old enough to watch football UGA had a 4 year period that auburn has never had (that I can remember) of losing 4 games in 4 seasons and playing for 2 titles (actually was competing for 3, but we lost to PIttsburgh)  and winning 1 of them (something auburn was able to equal).    

I was born in ATL and moved to Birmingham in 1983.  I grew up a uga fan and can remember watching in those three straight sugar bowls.  Losing to Joe Pa and Dan Marino.  In HS had a girlfriend, she ended up going to AU and like a puppy whipped HS kid so did I.  So in '89 I converted to a AU fan.  I will say the older I get I stress more about Falcon's games than AU.  Guess I want to see a SB before I pass.  I was fortunate to enjoy uga's in 80 and au's in 10.  

SacFalcFan likes this

52 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

I was born in ATL and moved to Birmingham in 1983.  I grew up a uga fan and can remember watching in those three straight sugar bowls.  Losing to Joe Pa and Dan Marino.  In HS had a girlfriend, she ended up going to AU and like a puppy whipped HS kid so did I.  So in '89 I converted to a AU fan.  I will say the older I get I stress more about Falcon's games than AU.  Guess I want to see a SB before I pass.  I was fortunate to enjoy uga's in 80 and au's in 10.  

that's awesome you were able to enjoy both runs for teams you rooting for in uga and auburn.  i agree on the falcons.  i have already enjoyed a nice UGA 4 year run like we had, but i have never experience a falcon's Super Bowl win and that's why that 28 to 3 loss of a lead was sooo painful.  i fear i might never see us win a title and that would be very disheartening with all that i as a fan have invested in this Franchise. 

1 hour ago, notthatcool said:

Did you end up marrying her?

5 hours ago, Carter said:

The problem Saturday was more about underestimating the opponent and not being able to respond after that first drive when Auburn refused to lay down like everyone else pretty much has. Auburn was all the way up for this game and Georgia very clearly didn’t respect them. Eason would not have made any difference whatsoever.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say this was Kirby’s long game plan. Let the team get beat when nothing is really lost in doing so, but he can use it to drive the team to be more focused in the most crucial time of the season... and maybe it will probably result in Bama or Auburn overlooking the Dawgs a bit in the SEC title game. :lol: Probably not but it would be funny if we get to Atlanta and win after this ridiculous blowout.

this makes sense.  2011, LSU beat Bama, won SEC, Lost National title. 

The problem Saturday was more about underestimating the opponent and not being able to respond after that first drive when Auburn refused to lay down like everyone else pretty much has. Auburn was all the way up for this game and Georgia very clearly didn’t respect them. Eason would not have made any difference whatsoever.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say this was Kirby’s long game plan. Let the team get beat when nothing is really lost in doing so, but he can use it to drive the team to be more focused in the most crucial time of the season... and maybe it will probably result in Bama or Auburn overlooking the Dawgs a bit in the SEC title game. :lol: Probably not but it would be funny if we get to Atlanta and win after this ridiculous blowout.

I mean... intentionally. Definitely not. Side bonus? Most definitely. If Auburn wins, we know that we have a lot of improvement to make. If Bama wins, we have the same improvements to make in a lot of ways... it's 60% Line of Scrimmage, 20% discipline, 20% playcalling/creativity IMO... the next 2 weeks should be treated as tuneups for those areas... 

We definitely came into the game feeling good about ourselves, overconfident and didn't play like we had the previous 9 games.  Our offensive line got their rear ends whipped up and down that field.  Credit Auburn they came to play fast and physical and we didn't.  I have to give some credit to our coaches for our offense stalling.  We should have continue to throw the ball after the first td and hopes to open up some space for our backs.  The game basically turned on that stupid Walker penalty, I'm still trying to figure out what in the world he was doing.  They kicked our butt.  Auburn threw everything they could at our defense including trick plays, which helped keep our defense honest and then we starting imploding on ourselves.  Our game plan was run it up the middle.

The good thing is that I totally believe we are a better team than Auburn and we can play like it.  I sure hope they beat Alabama because I want a rematch.  I actually thought Fromm played pretty well in the loss and didn't wet the bed so to speak.  The coaches need to trust him to throw the football or find someone they do.  You have to try to be balanced on offense and keep the other team guessing.  While I hate losing to auburn, all of our goals are still in front of us.  I think we learned a valuable lesson...come to battle every week or go home.  Kentucky and GT will be no gimmies, if this team comes thinking they are entitled to win instead of bringing the pain.

Edited by richham

7 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

Love him as a coach and personality.  But I’ll gladly continue appreciating him from afar.  That man is one heck of a coach & I don’t want to see him in the SEC.  

SacFalcFan and 95Dawg like this

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Love him as a coach and personality.  But I’ll gladly continue appreciating him from afar.  That man is one heck of a coach & I don’t want to see him in the SEC.  

there are some rumors tennessee reached out to him, but i highly doubt he wants to be in the sec due to all that comes with it.. 

53 minutes ago, Carter said:

I laughed at Kerryon “Malzahn’s Career” Johnson

and

”I choose to live my life as a basketball fan.”

:lol:

Think my favorite was:

"Local team that thought they'd lost all hope loses last additional bit of hope they didn't even know they still had"

95Dawg and Carter like this