Unkn0wn

Braves Off-season Thread

138 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, K26dp said:

That the Braves may lose a draft pick indicates that there were probably issues on the domestic side. If the Braves for example compensated a draft pick under the table, the value of that compensation would be added against the overall draft spending limit. The penalty for going over the limit is loss of a 1st round draft pick.

Quite frankly, I'd rather lose two Drew Waters than lose next years' 1st round pick.

This doesn't make sense to me.

26 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

John Hart has resigned from the Braves effective immediately. Probably an indication of the upcoming investigation results. Braves CEO and other high rankings officials just met with MLB. The Coppy/Hart era is now gone. 

Thank God!!! What seemed so promising turned into a nightmare!

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

John Hart has resigned from the Braves effective immediately. Probably an indication of the upcoming investigation results. Braves CEO and other high rankings officials just met with MLB. The Coppy/Hart era is now gone. 

Good. GTFO Hart. 

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Interesting that this comes immediately after the Braves leadership met with MLB (Manford)  leadership.  Hopefully this will help lessen the penalties imposed on the Braves; not sure since it is so close to the expected penalty announcement.  Cant hurt though....so I'm OK with all this.  Time to cut ties and move on.

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

That you would rather lose to of Drew Waters than to lose a first-round pick.

It's the #8 pick. That's going to be (or should be) a true impact player. 

I like Waters fine, but he's much more of a lottery ticket. Great get with the 41st pick, but no one would have taken him higher.

Malachore likes this

It does put quite a damper on the progress that has been made. Obviously some of our young starters have to pan out in the next year or two for us to turn the corner and contend. But all the fans who have been patient probably were excited about this off season Just like I was. We were hoping to see a few guys moved and some other guys signed or brought in to mix in and start contending. Instead the off season starting with additions we might be having subtraction from the farm. It's just a little deflating.

10 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

It does put quite a damper on the progress that has been made. Obviously some of our young starters have to pan out in the next year or two for us to turn the corner and contend. But all the fans who have been patient probably were excited about this off season Just like I was. We were hoping to see a few guys moved and some other guys signed or brought in to mix in and start contending. Instead the off season starting with additions we might be having subtraction from the farm. It's just a little deflating.

While losing Maitan or some others wouldn't be ideal it's not the end of the world. None of the players that have been mentioned as a chance to lose are close to MLB. All of the guys that are in danger are 3 to 4 years away if not more. It has no impact on the immediate future. All of our top prospects at the upper levels are safe.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

DOB reporting MLB investigation results will come on Monday.

I think we can all agree the sooner the better so we can get some positive vibes going. What's everyone thinking on LF? I am personally figuring on Markakis and Kemp both possibly being gone and a new face being in left with Ender in CF and Acuna in RF. 

The sooner, the way better. I'd go ahead and assume we lose Maitan. At this  point I'll be shocked if we dont. Still plenty of quality prospects left though. As far as the OF we know Acuna and Ender will be in the OF. Hopefully they can move Kemp because Markakis is the better player at this point. I'd be open to moving both but I'm not sure it'll happen. It'll be interesting to get an idea of what Anthopoulus thinks of the roster.