Unkn0wn

Braves Off-season Thread

138 posts in this topic

With the completion of the World Series the off-season kicks into high gear. Free agents can now begin to negotiate with other clubs.

Find another closer to rotate with Vizzy, Beef up the middle relief, Beef up the starting rotation, release the dead weight, bring in the young guns and coach em up!

2 hours ago, E. T. said:

Find another closer to rotate with Vizzy, Beef up the middle relief, Beef up the starting rotation, release the dead weight, bring in the young guns and coach em up!

That's a lot of work.

36 minutes ago, Malachore said:

That's a lot of work.

It is, but I'm sure right now there's more time and focus spent on finding a GM instead of building up where the players left off.

Might not be much of an off season, who knows.

We knew what Coppy and that FO wanted to do. We have no idea what the next GM will want to do. I'm guessing they ditch that whole  young controllable #1 SP that Coppy was hung up on. That whole thing never made sense. Not when your farm is built on those guys and they're pretty much ready.

K26dp likes this

MLBTR has posted their top 50 free agents list. They've got Mike Moustakas 6th and got him going to the Braves for 5/85. That's a AAV of $17M. I was willing to go up to $15M for him but $17M is a little on the steep side for me.

22 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

MLBTR has posted their top 50 free agents list. They've got Mike Moustakas 6th and got him going to the Braves for 5/85. That's a AAV of $17M. I was willing to go up to $15M for him but $17M is a little on the steep side for me.

I would love to see Moustakas in a Braves uniform but the Braves have already said they will not spend money on a big bat at 3rd with Austin Riley developing the way he is.

Hopefully the front office situation sorts itself out quickly so we get pointed in an effective direction . You would think the Braves do something about the bullpen and a veteran starter to replace Dickey.  

--- new to the board been lurking for awhile.  Falcon fan since the Bartowski days but the Braves are the primary team for me. I look forward to reading and sharing some thoughts with you all from this point on. 

Passprotection likes this

48 minutes ago, Motorcat said:

I would love to see Moustakas in a Braves uniform but the Braves have already said they will not spend money on a big bat at 3rd with Austin Riley developing the way he is.

Hopefully the front office situation sorts itself out quickly so we get pointed in an effective direction . You would think the Braves do something about the bullpen and a veteran starter to replace Dickey.  

--- new to the board been lurking for awhile.  Falcon fan since the Bartowski days but the Braves are the primary team for me. I look forward to reading and sharing some thoughts with you all from this point on.

Where did the Braves say they weren't going to spend big money on 3B? Austin Riley is still at least two years away from the bigs. Also, there seems to be talk about Riley's future position being LF.

1 hour ago, Motorcat said:

In other words, braves are cheap.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Where did the Braves say they weren't going to spend big money on 3B? Austin Riley is still at least two years away from the bigs. Also, there seems to be talk about Riley's future position being LF.

I'll see if I can find a link and provide it .... it has been recent. I bounce between several sites, baseball america, ajc now, etc plus some fantasy sports sites as well. Not sure which one it was but it is out there. Not here to spread false info - I'll provide the link when I find it.  :)

Eric Young Sr reportedly replacing Perez as 1B coach. 

Mark Bowman reporting former Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulus is a top candidate to replace Hart. Moore is still in the picture, Braves working on getting permission. You might remember Anthopoulus built the Jays playoff teams. He left Toronto when ownership brought in Shapiro from Cleveland. Anthopoulus has been VP of operations for the Dodgers since.

Falconsfan567 and K26dp like this

3 hours ago, Nereek said:

In other words, braves are cheap.

They gotta pick their expenditures carefully. It doesn't make sense to push a bunch of money in a position where there's a likely internal solution. 

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Riley will be up by the end of 2018. I speculated that he may end up in LF if the Braves sign a 3B, but that was just me.

5 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Riley will be up by the end of 2018. I speculated that he may end up in LF if the Braves sign a 3B, but that was just me.

We'll see, I'm still taking extreme caution with both him and Alex Jackson, especially when it comes to when they'll debut. I won't hold my breath that it happens prior to 2019. I would love to be wrong on that but both have still a lot to prove at the upper levels of the minors, since both have only had 1 year of MiLB success.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

We'll see, I'm still taking extreme caution with both him and Alex Jackson, especially when it comes to when they'll debut. I won't hold my breath that it happens prior to 2019. I would love to be wrong on that but both have still a lot to prove at the upper levels of the minors, since both have only had 1 year of MiLB success.

I'd say it's 75% likely Riley will be up in 2018. He's really taken a quantum leap at the plate, and he's improved enough at 3B that he can probably stay there for awhile.

Jackson is more like 50%, he's still got some work to put in defensively. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Eric Young Sr reportedly replacing Perez as 1B coach. 

Mark Bowman reporting former Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulus is a top candidate to replace Hart. Moore is still in the picture, Braves working on getting permission. You might remember Anthopoulus built the Jays playoff teams. He left Toronto when ownership brought in Shapiro from Cleveland. Anthopoulus has been VP of operations for the Dodgers since.

I would love to see EY Sr. share some of his baserunning and base stealing skills with guys that have good stolen base potential. EY Sr. was one of the best back in his day.