Falcons' Desmond Trufant knows he needs to get back to elite level

ike barn87987

2 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I don't get why you assume they want to be in the spotlight all the time.

We don't have any divas on this squad, we don't have any players that pander specifically to the media for attention. Our guys seem genuinely passionate about the game number 1. That passion is reflected through exuberance after good plays. 

But never have I looked at any of them and assumed they are crying for attention or just being me first. 

If a guy wants to win so bad that he gets beat trying to make a play, I can live with that knowing he learned his lesson. But you cant teach effort and competitiveness. I'd much rather have guys that want to do too much and have to reel them in, than who don't have any drive at all and have to push them constantly to give %100

We are a team of guys that give %150 and it's taken us out of position at times. So now the focus is on staying focused and patient and still give %110. Easier problem than the alternative

No not trying to be a diva. If I saw that on this team then I would have been calling them out long ago.

Anytime you are trying to do too much and get out of position on the play then that becomes about you not the team. Like a Duke Riley flying to the play and hitting the runner but failed to wrap him up and make the play. Because he wanted to make the big hit, not the tackle. Like a CB losing contact with the guy he is covering because he wants to be in position to help in run support, or help with the TE as his guy runs open and free. Or even all the LBs and safeties running to the QB as he rolls out while the TE is all alone with the ball heading his way. 

Look at how Alford plays compared to Trufant. Alford for the most part is in his guys hip pocket and he gets flagged for it. I hate to see the flag but it is going to happen when the refs are already looking to toss it on him. That is playing aggressive. That is fine by me just don't let it take over your game.

Now back to Trufant, he just looks lost sometimes. I don't think of him as a shutdown corner just as a corner that has not gotten thrown at as often. I think that is more to do with in the past TE were getting all the love against the Falcons. Plus Alford was a flag about to be thrown. That could be about to change if he keeps wanting to play out of position. I have seen a few QBs take Trufant to the wood shed. I have not seen the same as much with Alford. Just the refs with a flag that has to be thrown. 

It does not happen all the time but too many times this year they just look like they are running around out of position. Just enough to get under my skin. They have just been plain ugly this year. Very easy this team could be 1 and 6. The only game they played well as a team was the Green Bay game. Oh and one more thing if Trufant was such a great player how did the Falcons play so well without him last year?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

Alford had great coverage and Anderson had to make a great diving catch on a perfectly thrown ball.  Trufant got cooked by two yards.

59fb607c9ca40_trufantbeat.png.6a03844006855c60f7583e34488b7264.png59fb608b9006c_alfordbeat2.png.2838e2b372fbc2a608558decd34683c6.png

Understand that but the fact the same guy got both of our corners didn't matter much how much one got beat than the other.The WRer clearly got the better of both of them on big play situations.Maybe as much as Tru got beat we aren't giving the opposition WRer enough credit here just going after the guy that gets paid the most.

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Understand that but the fact the same guy got both of our corners didn't matter much how much one got beat than the other.The WRer clearly got the better of both of them on big play situations.Maybe as much as Tru got beat we aren't giving the opposition WRer enough credit here just going after the guy that gets paid the most.

Or maybe I'm just going after the guy that gave up easy TDs against the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets, and nearly costs the Falcons the game against the Lions with two penalties.

He's been a million dollar a week liability.

Just now, Vandy said:

Who cares? They both got beat.

That's fine.  Like I said, Trufant is getting torched pretty much every week. 

I get that Anderson made a great catch against Alford.  When was the last time he got beat for a big play or TD before that?  I think it has been a minute.

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

That's fine.  Like I said, Trufant is getting torched pretty much every week. 

I get that Anderson made a great catch against Alford.  When was the last time he got beat for a big play or TD before that?  I think it has been a minute.

Are we counting penalties?

Alford has been beaten and (luckily for team)  benefited from some receiver drops.

Just now, Vandy said:

I guess, but to me all DB’s get beat badly at times. Remember when Julio made Peterson look like a high schooler out there?

Well I hope going forward our DB's don't make a habit of getting beat badly. I don't expect perfection just don't look like burnt toast. 

26 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Fant got cooked twice by more than 2 yards.

4 hours ago, Peyton said:

He wasn't playing the run, he just got beat.

To his credit, he didn't say that he got beat because he was playing the run, you said that.  But it just isn't true.  He just got flat burnt.

Yeah....he had a Tyrone Williams, Justin houston, Dunta Robinson, Etc Moment :lol:

Every corner is going to get beat...Every corner is going to get penalties..In my experience corner is the toughest position to play...I look at the overall defense and so far they are playing good and getting better every week.

11th against the run

11th against the pass

6th in total yards against

12th in total points

Yall been praying for a top 10 defense...well I give you your 2017 Atlanta Falcons.

(And they still have not put it all together)

3 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Every corner is going to get beat...Every corner is going to get penalties..In my experience corner is the toughest position to play...I look at the overall defense and so far they are playing good and getting better every week.

11th against the run

11th against the pass

6th in total yards against

12th in total points

Yall been praying for a top 10 defense...well I give you your 2017 Atlanta Falcons.

(And they still have not put it all together)

I mean, if you are going to list the stats, you should list them all.

32nd in turnovers created

24th in points per offensive drive

26th in offensive yards per drive

32nd in offensive plays per drive

31st in defensive possession per drive

I do agree they are getting better though.  Everybody but Trufant.

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

I mean, if you are going to list the stats, you should list them all.

32nd in turnovers created

24th in points per offensive drive

26th in offensive yards per drive

32nd in offensive plays per drive

31st in defensive possession per drive

I do agree they are getting better though.  Everybody but Trufant.

If their overall defensive rankings are with it is....with those numbers you provided...Im even more impressed with the Defense..I see improvements and as long as they keep improving...Im satisfied...Trufant has been struggling but I believe he will tighten up..

49 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

If their overall defensive rankings are with it is....with those numbers you provided...Im even more impressed with the Defense..I see improvements and as long as they keep improving...Im satisfied...Trufant has been struggling but I believe he will tighten up..

Yup. D has improved to a Top 15 defense....we all want more, but our offense has been the unit not playing up to its potential the most. 

Elite corner Trufant  ‘struggling’ is still better than most corners....as he showed against Aaron Rodgers and GB. 

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/9/18/16324828/desmond-trufant-was-as-stellar-as-ever-against-the-packers

3 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

True, but Alford was in his hip pocket to defend the ball--except the QB made a perfect throw.  

But that wasn’t my point, da truth. Alf has also been beaten badly several times where the receivers dropped the ball....over and the coarse of a season it all evens out.  

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

No one ever answered this.........aside from the one td given up.......can anyone remember a catch if consequence on Trufant??

Any catch at all?

Sure, the Jets third longest play of the game was a short cross to Anderson, also against Trufant.

The play allowed the Jets to kick their last FG.