Get Right Game Coming...

...or not.

What I really wanted this post to be is what the title says. I really wanted to come out and declare that the Falcons will feel fewer distractions with last week's "embrace the suck" circus behind them. They will lay down a "get right" game in which the Jets are the unfortunate victim. However, the last three games are becoming so repetitive that you honestly wonder while your watching them if this funk is just going to hang over them all season. Is the hangover real? 

I think the hangover is not real, but there is cause for on field concern.

I have been fairly optimistic through the last 4 weeks. That said, I had a few moments Sunday night. I see things a bit differently than some here, but I'm certainly not the lone ranger on some of the following observations:

• Our opponents haven't been as lousy as we feel like they are simply looking at team names and logos.
  • While individual play calls are head shakers, the game plans have generally been good enough on offense.
  • Execution on the small stuff hasn't been sharp. Missed tackle here. Block whiff there. Bad throw. Pan hands.
  • Discipline is an issue. Too many penalty induced 3rd and longs and to many first down gifts on away from the ball fouls and late hits by the D.

The good new is all of the above is fixable. The same players have done better in the past. Its reasonable to think they could do better again. That said, they still have to do it.

We all need a get right game. Here's hoping we see it this weekend. Here's what one would look like.

• Fewer than 3 drops
  • + turnover ratio
  • Completion % north of 70%
  • 30+ rushing attempts (i.e convert 1st downs and hold the ball)
  • Solid tackling

If we can do those things, we can get right. Against the Jets the overlooked factor is that McCown is getting pounded this season. He has been sacked 22 times (Ryan 11 for purposes of comparison). This is a great chance for our pass rushers to get their swagger back. Make good tackles in the run game and score early on offense...this could turn into fun times.

But yes...again...the team has to do it. I really hope they will.

Win the next two and the Falcons finish the first half of the season 5-3, 4-0 in the NFC and 1-0 in the NFCS. 

It all starts with beating the Jets, which many considered the worst team in the NFL as the season started. They are better than that, but they are still not very good. It's time for the leaders in the ATL lockerroom to step up and demand accountability from his teammates. 

57 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Win the next two and the Falcons finish the first half of the season 5-3, 4-0 in the NFC and 1-0 in the NFCS. 

It all starts with beating the Jets, which many considered the worst team in the NFL as the season started. They are better than that, but they are still not very good. It's time for the leaders in the ATL lockerroom to step up and demand accountability from his teammates. 

That would be a great start to the second half of the season. However, I don't think the Falcons know how to game plan and play for an entire game right now. We are seeing poor play and bad coaching, and I doubt they've fixed their issues since the last terrible performance. This year's Falcons simply do not have what it takes to win games we all thought they should. 

2 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

This reminds me of the 70's when Coaches were asked what their plan was to fix the team.

"We play Atlanta next week."

I suspect the same is being said in NY this week.

Agree with OP. 

This is what is known as 'growing pains'. We  have 2 entire new playcallers and new tweaks to last year's plays. 

We ARE rusty, but what is undeniable is that this is a talented team. Also Matt's always gotten better as the season went on. And hopefully the special teams decide to stop fooling around and the team gets things tighter in the next few short weeks. 

We were 4-3 and coming off 2 straight losses at this time last season.  I know this is a new season and we look way off right now but a win this Sunday would go a long way to getting the team back on track.  Don't forget we've been pretty beat up as well.  

I'm not giving up on this team!  They can and will get it right.

I feel like over the years I've honed my Falcon expectations and skills and I really do think this week is going to bring us back to where we all thought we would be.  I can't explain it, I have no facts, just years of fan experience and a gut instinct that we are going to have our breakout game on Sunday.

Time will tell, I could be wrong, but I'm feeling a great game for us this weekend.  Get right game is the perfect way to put it.

Edited by athell
6 minutes ago, athell said:

I feel like over the years I've honed my Falcon expectations and skills and I really do think this week is going to bring us back to where we all thought we would be.  I can't explain it, I have no facts, just years of fan experience and a gut instinct that we are going to have our breakout game on Sunday.

Time will tell, I could be wrong, but I'm feeling a great game for us this weekend.  Get right game is the perfect way to put it.

I know the feeling well.  My heart believes this is the bounce back spot. My mind is yelling caution. However, there are tangible stats to backup good feelings.

NYJ may be the worst front 7 vs the rush we have faced, certainly not up there with Fins and Bills. They pass protect...not at all. They like to play man on WR 1s and even with help you have to love Julio vs. Claiborne. They are solid at RB/TE which is a good place to attack us. However, Quinn has recommitted the run and this is a great spot. If it were at home it would be a perfect spot. If the run game travels....nice.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

I also want to see us get the play action game going.....imo we have not used that as effectively as we should.

We are one of few teams with a strong enough run rep that teams respect the run fakes out of the gate. We enjoy the privilege of being able to go PA on the first pass of the game if we want to.

Just now, falcndave said:

We are one of few teams with a strong enough run rep that teams respect the run fakes out of the gate. We enjoy the privilege of being able to go PA on the first pass of the game if we want to.

I agree but to me  we have not been effective with it.....maybe it is just my perception..which is all possible...we see what we wanna see.

But I want more of the play action off of the stretch play....where ryan is rolling and we have Julio or Sanu running a crossing pattern.

5 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Agreed, but my concern is not the players nearly as much as their coaches.  They just seem to be overmatched in every game.