Exactly what i have been saying

caponine

Atlanta Falcons’ Tevin Coleman’s shrinking role in a once prolific offense is another glaring question mark as to rookie NFL Offensive Coordinator Steve Sarkisian’s play-calling prowess.

Falcons running back Tevin Coleman, Atlanta’s downfield speed complement to Devonta Freeman’s shifty footwork in the running game, has been virtually erased from the offensive scheme.

Coleman’s disappearing act six games into the season makes him somewhat of an unwitting magician—now you see him, now you don’t.

The lack of Coleman’s incorporation into the game plan has gummed up the gears of a Falcons offense that once churned with frightening efficiency.

The offense looks listless, out-of-sync and one-dimensional, and a large reason for that falls squarely in Falcons offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian’s lap.

Sarkisian’s Three-Card Monte approach to the running backs has rendered lackluster results so far, to put it lightly. His hi-jinks particularly revolve around Coleman’s absence in a receiving role, one in which he excelled in 2016.

With his straight-line speed and ability to haul in the deep ball, Tevin Coleman is a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses. Lining him up as a wide receiver, with Devonta Freeman in the backfield, is a wrinkle that former offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan utilized often last season to wild success.

It creates confusion, mismatches, and allows Matt Ryan full access to Atlanta’s impressive array of offensive weapons.

Yet, inexplicably, Sarkisian has let this aspect of the offense gather dust in his bag of tricks, choosing instead to feature Coleman primarily as a change-of-pace back to spell Freeman.

Through six games last year, Tevin Coleman had racked up 320 yards on 18 receptions. 2017 so far? 14 catches for 157 yards. Save for a highlight reel, full-extension catch against the Buffalo Bills in Week 6 (which displayed the threat he poses to defenses), Coleman’s inclusion on plays downfield has been severely limited. 

Its ridiculous to keep a talent like him just sitting on the bench when he can make plays anytime he is in the game , on any down. 

Edited by caponine

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You see the easy pass he dropped against pats?

You mean like julio, freeman , sanu , gabriel , and just about every other player in the league does ? Yeah i saw that. If youre gonna hold that against him , then idk

Edited by caponine

4 minutes ago, caponine said:

You mean like julio, freeman , sanu , gabriel , and just about every other player in the league does ? If youre gonna hold that against him , then idk

That’s my point man....everyone is dumping on Sark, and he does deserve some of it....but the players are not playing inspired football.

coleman played like he was in slow motion against pats....dropping passes, 2.7 YPC....

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

That’s my point man....everyone is dumping on Sark, and he does deserve some of it....but the players are not playing inspired football.

coleman played like he was in slow motion against pats....dropping passes, 2.6 YPC....

Lol that happens when youre losing noone is playing inspired. 

He only got 6 carries though man.

and anybody would if youre getting phased out the offense you were such a big part of

Edited by caponine

5 minutes ago, caponine said:

Lol that happens when youre losing noone is playing inspired. 

He only got 6 carries though man.

And how many yards? He didn’t deserve more carries. 

I’m telling you, he wasn’t ‘there’ Sunday night. And i’m a huge Teco fan just like you.

This team was playing uninspired football before the losing streak, caponine. IMHO, it’s why we’re on the losing streak.

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

And how many yards? He didn’t deserve more carries. 

I’m telling you, he wasn’t ‘there’ Sunday night. And i’m a huge Teco fan just like you.

This team was playing uninspired football before the losing streak, caponine. IMHO, it’s why we’re on the losing streak.

We cant say whether they were or not but getting touches definitely helps

1 minute ago, Faithful Falcon said:

@caponine is a big time Coleman Fan, but he's right. Sark has too Coleman out of the offense a lot. He's taken Freeman out too. As well as any TE. 

Exactly its crazy. Our rbs were a main cog in the offense last year,  now they just stand on the sideline twiddling their thumbs watching our offense go 3 and out

Just now, caponine said:

We cant say whether they were or not but getting touches definitely helps

Sure it does, but not if you are just going through the slow motions. 

Teco’s lethargic play is just an example...Falcons team did not come out ready to play football Sunday night. 

Either Sark is inept and over his head, or it’s on purpose! One can be fixed the other can’t. Guess which one?! 

Coleman should be given the ball until a clear cut determination is formed and then decide on his future value! Perhaps it has been decided already...

you fail me once, okay, one more shot! Fail me twice, your azzz is gone!

where is teco? 

1 minute ago, roguebeaver said:

Either Sark is inept and over his head, or it’s on purpose! One can be fixed the other can’t. Guess which one?! 

Coleman should be given the ball until a clear cut determination is formed and then decide on his future value! Perhaps it has been decided already...

you fail me once, okay, one more shot! Fail me twice, your azzz is gone!

where is teco? 

I kinda feel like now , they want to trade him . Not saying this year but still

Edited by caponine

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I thought freeman played hard. TBH I’m more upset at Sark not giving him the ball more than I was Coleman. 

Tbh not at the beginning, he didnt look the freeman we all knew. About thr first half he didnt look like he was 100% here, the cutbacks and such werent the best and vision didnt look good but second half he looked better, so ill give you that one. sark should have ran him more. Especially at the goal line

Edited by caponine

Think this team has to ride Julio and Free then Teco hard the next week or 4. Once you get Julio and Free going it sets up everything so much better. But that means GETTING JULIO THE BALL early and often then a heavy dose of Freeman and Teco for the killshot. Shanahan ran plays to set up later plays, they none of that now and those set up plays is where Coleman was really effective.

6 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Think this team has to ride Julio and Free then Teco hard the next week or 4. Once you get Julio and Free going it sets up everything so much better. But that means GETTING JULIO THE BALL early and often then a heavy dose of Freeman and Teco for the killshot. Shanahan ran plays to set up later plays, they none of that now and those set up plays is where Coleman was really effective.

This ^^^^

1 hour ago, caponine said:

Lining him up as a wide receiver, with Devonta Freeman in the backfield, is a wrinkle that former offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan utilized often last season to wild success.

I can count on one hand the amount of times Shanny split TeCo out wide with Free in the backfield 

1 hour ago, caponine said:

Atlanta Falcons’ Tevin Coleman’s shrinking role in a once prolific offense is another glaring question mark as to rookie NFL Offensive Coordinator Steve Sarkisian’s play-calling prowess.

Falcons running back Tevin Coleman, Atlanta’s downfield speed complement to Devonta Freeman’s shifty footwork in the running game, has been virtually erased from the offensive scheme.

Coleman’s disappearing act six games into the season makes him somewhat of an unwitting magician—now you see him, now you don’t.

The lack of Coleman’s incorporation into the game plan has gummed up the gears of a Falcons offense that once churned with frightening efficiency.

The offense looks listless, out-of-sync and one-dimensional, and a large reason for that falls squarely in Falcons offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian’s lap.

Sarkisian’s Three-Card Monte approach to the running backs has rendered lackluster results so far, to put it lightly. His hi-jinks particularly revolve around Coleman’s absence in a receiving role, one in which he excelled in 2016.

With his straight-line speed and ability to haul in the deep ball, Tevin Coleman is a match-up nightmare for opposing defenses. Lining him up as a wide receiver, with Devonta Freeman in the backfield, is a wrinkle that former offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan utilized often last season to wild success.

It creates confusion, mismatches, and allows Matt Ryan full access to Atlanta’s impressive array of offensive weapons.

Yet, inexplicably, Sarkisian has let this aspect of the offense gather dust in his bag of tricks, choosing instead to feature Coleman primarily as a change-of-pace back to spell Freeman.

Through six games last year, Tevin Coleman had racked up 320 yards on 18 receptions. 2017 so far? 14 catches for 157 yards. Save for a highlight reel, full-extension catch against the Buffalo Bills in Week 6 (which displayed the threat he poses to defenses), Coleman’s inclusion on plays downfield has been severely limited. 

Its ridiculous to keep a talent like him just sitting on the bench when he can make plays anytime he is in the game , on any down. 

Stopped reading at Devonta Freeman...but I endorse getting Coleman more touches.  Same goes for Freeman...and Julio...and Sanu...and Hooper.  Geez, we have lots of people that honestly require a few more touches.