Dan Quinn - 1% better

So guys, all offseason he asked guys to get 1% in each of their shortcomings and keep practicing. 

So almost mid way in to our season....the results are not showing on game day.

How much more do you guys think its mental or skill set short comings? 

Will group meetings, practice solve this?

Will it take an outside psychiatric counseling for star players like Matt Ryan to get over the predicament?

What would you recommend if you are a counselor to this team?

1 hour ago, nomak said:

They could be putting too much pressure on themselves to not be in a SB slump and in doing so have put themselves in a SB slump. They should just relax and have fun...no one appears to be having any fun.

I've been thinking this all season.  All these young guys and -0- exuberance.  It's weird and very noticeable. 

3 hours ago, nomak said:

They could be putting too much pressure on themselves to not be in a SB slump and in doing so have put themselves in a SB slump. They should just relax and have fun...no one appears to be having any fun.

I agree 100% with this. Missing the fun. We dominated last year when our guys were having a good time. Team is playing too tight.

Man. They worked so hard in the offseason to be better. Bringing in the navy seals and having their own individual workouts as a team. All that hard work and nothing to show for it. I expected better from them instead of going 3-3. And get their azzes handed to them Sunday. Smh

4 hours ago, osiruz said:

We got too cocky and complacent after the Super Bowl season. Matt Ryan didn't have any summer camps this year like he did last year.

Matt Ryan especially, has become too cocky and cold on sidelines...dont see him motivating the team. We are clearly missing a veteran leader who knows how to play hard and enjoy the game during the game in a respectful manner.

8 hours ago, nomak said:

A while back I posted a thread about them needing to tighten up on fundamentals in all three phases. As the issues I mentioned in that thread have continued week to week (poor tackling, dropped passes, costly penalties, lack of emotion), I thought all week about this idea of lacking the basics.

IMO, it really is all about them getting back to fundamentals... as cheesy as this may be, I think it's accurate:

FUN D MENTAL

FUN: Play with emotion... but not anger so much & certainly not fear... but with heart. Have fun, stop thinking every play has to be THE play. Don't press & take what you are given. If you trust in your abilities & talent, and have been coached to have good instincts, you will be able to exploit whatever they bring at you more often than not. That leads to winning, and winning leads to feeling good aka having fun. Let's have some fun!

D: D is for discipline. With so much stacked against you already... the other team's talent, luck, sometimes the weather, injuries, etc... it's hard to win games in the NFL. It's a heII of a lot harder when you're constantly shooting yourself in the foot. Too many men on the field calls, offsides due to not getting lines up fast enough, totally avoidable late hits on opposing QBs, dropped passes leading to INTs, bad snaps leading to blocked/missed FGs & poor punts, etc., etc., etc. are no way to win games. That's sloppy play you'd expect form a cellar-dweller tanking for a draft pick, not the defending Conference Champions.

Furthermore, D is for defense. If you can't get back to the fundamentals & make good, consistent tackles, you are going to struggle big time. It's great to preach about it being all about the ball. Turnovers matter. However, if you are regularly letting opposing ball carriers gain an extra 2-6 yards per play because guys are so focused on trying to strip the ball that they fail to bring the player down immediately on contact, that is a recipe for disaster... especially when your defense is not actually getting a significant number of turnovers.

MENTAL: Is the Super Bowl hangover real? Of course it is. How could it not be? These dudes were in the biggest game of their lives... something they've spent their every moment working toward & something some of them might very likely never get a chance at again. It's okay & totally expected to slump after losing the biggest game of your life, (and probably more so in the historic & unfortunately very Falcon-esque way in which they blew it). Those scars are not going to heal overnight. That said... it's not an excuse to totally crap the bed after being one of the most prolific offenses in the history of the sport with a defense full of young talent with valuable experience. Every team in the NFL is good on any given Sunday. That is truth. Anyone can & will beat you if you don't bring your 'A' game. However, there is NO excuse for a team with this level of talent to be in the situation they are currently in other than mentally psyching themselves out, pressing, or whatever you wanna call it.

The other mental part of all this revolves around coaching. Just as a player should improve over time, so should a coach. Experience in certain situations should lead to better handling of similar situations in the future. Ultimately, everything should start at the top with the head coach & trickle down from there. There are moments for every HC on every team where it's a razor thin line between having faith in your coordinator to make the right call & superseding their authority for the good of the team because they're getting cute & jeopardizing the well being of the entire team & everything they've worked for. There's a reason they're the coordinator & you are the HC.

Bottom line, this is still a very good team. They need to stop acting like they have to prove that to anyone though & just focus on playing sound, disciplined football while having a good time. The big thing about DQ's coaching style was that he put players in a position to just play ball... to not move-think things, but just go out there, react to what's in front of you & be sound and thus successful. It worked before and is exactly what we need to get back to now.

4 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

Falcons will get better when

1.We can stop the run

2. Ryan plays the way we know he can 

3. Coaching improves/playcalling

4. stop being soft/ looking like the old falcons

5. Get some pressure

I hope it happens like real soon 

I'd have gone for

1. Cutting down mental errors

2. Eradicate the stupid penalties

3. Improve the discipline

8 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

So guys, all offseason he asked guys to get 1% in each of their shortcomings and keep practicing. 

Will it take an outside psychiatric counseling for star players like Matt Ryan to get over the predicament?

I would say switching to GEICO on 15% than Quinn's 1%. We all be better off instead we hear same ole cliche press conference.

15 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

1% better if your suck 90%, a Super Bowl is farther away than I thought. Quinn is a Millennial's coach. He needs to be more Vince Lombardi and less Gandhi safe space provider. I haven't seen any emotion on bad plays by Quinn only pats on the back, "You'll get it next time".  

1 hour ago, TakkSakkAttakk said:

1% better if your suck 90%, a Super Bowl is farther away than I thought. Quinn is a Millennial's coach. He needs to be more Vince Lombardi and less Gandhi safe space provider. I haven't seen any emotion on bad plays by Quinn only pats on the back, "You'll get it next time".  

That same coach you people are trashing got us to our second SB in only his second year & produced the BEST playoff beat downs the Falcons have given in our 52 history. 

54 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

That same coach you people are trashing got us to our second SB in only his second year & produced the BEST playoff beat downs the Falcons have given in our 52 history. 

Heard the same thing about Ken Whisenhunt who took the Cardinals to their first ever SB after two years, now he's the OC coach for LA Chargers. 

Edited by TakkSakkAttakk

36 minutes ago, TakkSakkAttakk said:

Heard the same thing about Ken Whisenhunt who took the Cardinals to their first ever SB after two years, now he's the OC coach for LA Chargers. 

Yes and you are an absolute EXPERT on NFL coaching evaluation...

Lets not FORGET the fact that he hand picked Kyle Shanahan as our OC when 99% of the geniuses on this board thought he was an idiot. 

But no lets can the guy and pick up Rex Ryan :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Yes and you are an absolute EXPERT on NFL coaching evaluation...

Lets not FORGET the fact that he hand picked Kyle Shanahan as our OC when 99% of the geniuses on this board thought he was an idiot. 

But no lets can the guy and pick up Rex Ryan :rolleyes:

Shanahan is doing great in SF. 

1 hour ago, TakkSakkAttakk said:

Shanahan is doing great in SF. 

Given how devoid of talent that roster is in the first place, then factoring in the lack of scheme fits on top of it, I'd say he's doing about as well as anyone realistically expects.

That's not to say he will indeed ever turn out to be a good HC... he very may well be one of those guys who for whatever reason aren't HC material but have a lot of success as a coordinator. Only time will tell, but certainly the dude gets a pass for the first season taking over a total dumpster fire of a team w/ a rookie GM.