Match clock during stoppage time in the Benz

If you attend a match at the Benz you'll notice they stop the game clock running at 45:00 and 90:00 rather than letting it continue to run so people at the stadium have some idea how far into we are into stoppage time, but typically on TV they'll leave the game clock running.  Does MLS have a rule dictating this, or is it at the option of the stadium?

They did that in Bobby Dodd to I don't get it. I've also seen that Sporting KC doesn't use a extended clock in their stadium either.

It may be a rule but if it is I don't understand it. It may be a carry over from European rules in which extra time can be VERY discretionary.

17 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

Added time is a minimum of, and no set time. 

Can't say I've ever noticed the clock run on any scoreboards past 90 minutes, certainly not at my club.

I'm aware it's a minimum time, but it would still be nice to know where we are in the initial extra time window without having to set a timer on my watch.

7 hours ago, AF89 said:

You know they say that, but I've seen the ref stop the match at :30 seconds till  as well. Guess it depends on the action.

It's almost miraculous how it always seems to end just after a scoring chance either fails or succeeds.  I don't think I've ever seen it end after a corner kick is awarded, but before it's taken.

So this is slightly off topic but I play a lot of FIFA  with Arsenal and Borussia Dortmund, and I can't tell you how many times with Dortmund either tied or down one, I gain possession of the ball and start driving at midfield with clear advantage with between 30 and 20 secs left only for that **** to blow the whistle. I've even had them call it on a few 1 v 1 fastbreaks. Freaking infuriating.