Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TakkSakkAttakk

Where is TAKK?? Our #1 Draft Choice is MIA on the field.

63 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Kayoh said:

I don't care if he goes on IR, acting like someone is a bust because they didn't have a ton of stats as a rookie is ignorant. Let's wait til year 3 to make a final call on whether Takk is a bust or not bud.

I agree.

and Daeshon Hall says “thank goodness for that!”

:ninja:

On 10/23/2017 at 4:54 PM, mattyicefalcon said:

Why is that we can never ever have a defense like Steelers, Ravens, Eagles ....historically in my opinion these teams every year are stout in trenches.

Why the eff we cant players on defense ( trenches ) like they have? 

Where were you in 1977? Best defense ever in the NFL, but we sure dreaded seeing our pitiful offense stumble out onto the field.

Falconsin2012 likes this

On 10/23/2017 at 3:59 PM, Vandy said:

Tried to tell you guys he would take awhile to develop. Latter part of this year or maybe not even until 2018. 

Takk will be fine, but like most rookie pass rushers drafted out of top 15, he was never going to come in and ball day 1.

Which is why I thought bringing back Freeney was a good idea.  Apparently the FO thought Clayborn would be enough.

octoslash and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

How can a rookie who played 6 games be a bust? 

Chronic Bum Shoulder. He was limited in practice and the Pats game because of it. Or maybe other *health* problems common to instant millionaires. 

4 hours ago, Birdy Dird said:

Where were you in 1977? Best defense ever in the NFL, but we sure dreaded seeing our pitiful offense stumble out onto the field.

Was not born....

Birdy Dird likes this

On 10/24/2017 at 8:41 PM, SamMills51 said:

Woah wait but I've been told by countless others you're just a hating scrub who lives and dies by your analytics and would in no way defend a rookie who everyone says you supposedly hate.

in a round about way I'm still doing that. My analytics aren't focused on trying to predict how many sacks a player will get through 6 games, it's focused on predicting how any sacks a player will get through the first 4 seasons with the team that drafts the player. I despise hasty generalization.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:41 AM, Birdy Dird said:

The Forgotten Defense: The 1977 Falcons May Be the Best of All-Time

PATRICK BOHNMAY 22, 2010

I'll just come right out and say it: The 1977 Atlanta Falcons were the best defense in modern NFL history (Read: The Super Bowl Era).

Before you comment about the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens, I would ask you to simply continue reading.

The job of an NFL defense is to do one simple thing: Prevent a team from scoring. In most cases, doing the first two will contribute to the third. And by these measures, the 1977 Falcons were better than anyone.

They hold the record for fewest points allowed in a 14-game season with 129. Simple.

It's relatively easy to stack them up against the two defenses generally considered to be the greatest of all-time, the aforementioned Ravens and Bears.

Points Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 9.2

2000 Ravens: 10.2

1985 Bears: 12.1

See? Pretty simple.

But of course, people will say there are other components to a great defense. Like not allowing the other team to gain yards. Field position is important after all.

Yards Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 231.6

2000 Ravens: 247.9

1985 Bears: 258.4

Okay, so they didn't allow a lot of total yards. What if that's just because their opponents didn't run a lot of plays?

Net Yards Per Play

1977 Falcons: 3.7

2000 Ravens: 4.3

1985 Bears: 4.4

Well, sure, holding a team in their place is important, but what about making big plays on their own? The kinds of plays that shift momentum.

Turnovers Per Game

1977 Falcons: 3.42

2000 Ravens: 3.06

1985 Bears: 2.84

The only major defensive category the 1977 Falcons weren't tops in compared to the other two was sacks.

Of course, the 1977 Falcons didn't make the playoffs. They didn't even have a winning record. Don't blame the defense for that though. It all lies with the offense.

Offensive Touchdowns Per Game (Regular Season)

1985 Bears: 2.75

2000 Ravens:1.81

1977 Falcons: 1.21

Field Goals Per Game (Regular Season)

2000 Ravens: 2.18

1985 Bears 1.93

1977 Falcons 0.92

Each of these defenses had something that summed up their season. For the 2000 Ravens, it was allowing just one defensive touchdown in four playoff games. The 1985 Bears had a similar streak, allowing just one touchdown in their three playoff games.

The moment that summed up the 1977 Falcons came when they played the Buffalo Bills in Week Five. The Falcons trailed 3-0 late in the fourth quarter when they blocked a punt and had a first down on the Buffalo 13-yard line. They ran four plays, failed to get a first down, and the game was over.

Where's Trent Dilfer when you need him?

Edited by Falconsin2012
Slappywhite and Birdy Dird like this

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The Forgotten Defense: The 1977 Falcons May Be the Best of All-Time

PATRICK BOHNMAY 22, 2010

I'll just come right out and say it: The 1977 Atlanta Falcons were the best defense in modern NFL history (Read: The Super Bowl Era).

Before you comment about the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens, I would ask you to simply continue reading.

The job of an NFL defense is to do one simple thing: Prevent a team from scoring. In most cases, doing the first two will contribute to the third. And by these measures, the 1977 Falcons were better than anyone.

They hold the record for fewest points allowed in a 14-game season with 129. Simple.

It's relatively easy to stack them up against the two defenses generally considered to be the greatest of all-time, the aforementioned Ravens and Bears.

Points Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 9.2

2000 Ravens: 10.2

1985 Bears: 12.1

See? Pretty simple.

But of course, people will say there are other components to a great defense. Like not allowing the other team to gain yards. Field position is important after all.

Yards Allowed Per Game

1977 Falcons: 231.6

2000 Ravens: 247.9

1985 Bears: 258.4

Okay, so they didn't allow a lot of total yards. What if that's just because their opponents didn't run a lot of plays?

Net Yards Per Play

1977 Falcons: 3.7

2000 Ravens: 4.3

1985 Bears: 4.4

Well, sure, holding a team in their place is important, but what about making big plays on their own? The kinds of plays that shift momentum.

Turnovers Per Game

1977 Falcons: 3.42

2000 Ravens: 3.06

1985 Bears: 2.84

The only major defensive category the 1977 Falcons weren't tops in compared to the other two was sacks.

Of course, the 1977 Falcons didn't make the playoffs. They didn't even have a winning record. Don't blame the defense for that though. It all lies with the offense.

Offensive Touchdowns Per Game (Regular Season)

1985 Bears: 2.75

2000 Ravens:1.81

1977 Falcons: 1.21

Field Goals Per Game (Regular Season)

2000 Ravens: 2.18

1985 Bears 1.93

1977 Falcons 0.92

Each of these defenses had something that summed up their season. For the 2000 Ravens, it was allowing just one defensive touchdown in four playoff games. The 1985 Bears had a similar streak, allowing just one touchdown in their three playoff games.

The moment that summed up the 1977 Falcons came when they played the Buffalo Bills in Week Five. The Falcons trailed 3-0 late in the fourth quarter when they blocked a punt and had a first down on the Buffalo 13-yard line. They ran four plays, failed to get a first down, and the game was over.

Where's Trent Dilfer when you need him?

I remember that team some,  defense was lead by Claude Humphry and Rolland Lawrence and a rookie named Pennywell, I remember they had a ton of interceptions and although it wasn't recorded then sacks , I gotta think Humphrey,  and Pennywell had to have around 20 sacks each and Jeff Merrow at least 10, and tons pf interceptions , but as good as that D was the O was just the opposite . Think that may have been Greg Brezinas last year who was an unsung hero for many years.

Falconsin2012 likes this

7 minutes ago, Slappywhite said:

I remember that team some,  defense was lead by Claude Humphry and Rolland Lawrence and a rookie named Pennywell, I remember they had a ton of interceptions and although it wasn't recorded then sacks , I gotta think Humphrey,  and Pennywell had to have around 20 sacks each and Jeff Merrow at least 10, and tons pf interceptions , but as good as that D was the O was just the opposite . Think that may have been Greg Brezinas last year who was an unsung hero for many years.

Tough to imagine a losing record when your defense only gives up 9 ppg

Slappywhite likes this

14 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

Brezina's wife was a substitute teacher of mine in high school.  Nice lady.

You know how kids can't resist the urge to make life miserable on their sub-teachers. 

But she was smart.  She let it be known she was Mrs. FALCON LINEBACKER Brezina.

We were the best-behaved bunch of hooligans you ever saw that day.

Falconsin2012 and Slappywhite like this

15 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

Great players but also cutting edge scheme designed by Glanville. The 85 Bears took a lot of their concepts from that Falcons scheme

Falconsin2012 likes this