Once Again He Erred On The Side Of MORON!

slider

How many big games is Dan Quinn going to ruin with his ridiculous and reckless pursuit of unwarranted aggression? I thought Rex Ryan and Jerry Glanville were the only coaches I'd seen that thought stupidity was a virtue! PUNT THE F'ING BALL! Only teams that know they are completely outclassed and have no shot anyway do things like go for 4th and 6 on the 45 yard line, in the first quarter no less. I wrote on here after the first few games of 2015 when he'd made post game comments about "erring on the side of aggression" after making stupid decisions during the game that this guy was going to wreck any chance for this team to succeed with any consistency. In 2015 when the talent wasn't there and you're just trying to change the mentality of the team, OK I can buy that argument but when you have elite talent and a team that should be super bowl quality, these types of decisions do nothing but forfeit any kind of advantage you may have to the opponent. You can't win consistently with this kind of coach. Just like a Doctor's Hippocratic oath, a coaches oath should begin with "Do No Harm". Dan Quinn is harming this team and you can change coordinators all you want but Jerry Glanville and Rex Ryan have proven that you can't overcome your own coaches stupidity. DQ makes it a threesome of idiots!  To plan to "Err" on the side of anything is to plan to err! He has certainly accomplished that!

Edited by slider

8 minutes ago, slider said:

Crickets? Where are all the "I like that aggression" comments? It appears we're all sick of it at this point! DQ should be in hot water right now with Arthur. 

So, as a Pats fan, I was a little nervous going into this game. NE's "defense" had been making practice squad players look like Joe Montana, Randy Moss, and Barry Sanders. They were committing penalties like a Rex Ryan coached team. Just awful! I was wondering if Matt Ryan was going to throw for 400 yards and 6 TDs! 

Luckily, my worries were unfounded. Dan Quinn, Sark, and the DC are clearly not ready for primetime. You have some excellent players on the Falcons, but they made stupid penalties, dropped too many passes, and the play calling was laughable! NE's D was made up of no names last night. The difference was that the coaches put them in a position to make plays.

You're right, there is a difference aggression and desperation. Quinn and crew made desperate decisions because it was almost like they knew they were going to be badly outreached. 

Just now, Peyton said:

Well the thing I didn't like about it was that he did it after they ran the ball on 3rd and 7.  And this is the first time I have ever seen fans get upset about a 4th down attempt that the team actually made lol.

It's about the decision! I can decide to race a train across the tracks but if I make it, was it a good decision? What if I say, "I plan to make this decision consistently"? He has proven that he means it at this point. If I was Aurthur, I would probably let him finish the season but I think I'd be looking for a replacement right now.

Just now, slider said:

It's about the decision! I can decide to race a train across the tracks but if I make it, was it a good decision? What if I say, "I plan to make this decision consistently"? He has proven that he means it at this point. If I was Aurthur, I would probably let him finish the season but I think I'd be looking for a replacement right now.

That's not gonna happen.

I didn't like that he went for it, but mostly because going run, run, run, go for it on 4th doesn't make any sense to me.

I do think teams punt too often when they have 4th downs at the midfield area.  I think more teams should go for it.

23 minutes ago, Sting129 said:

I like aggression but not even Paul Johnson would go for it on 4th and 7 from the 45

Actually Doug Pedersen made a similar call a few weeks ago for the Eagles and they are sitting on the 1 seed in the NFC right now.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/9/25/16360840/why-doug-pederson-went-for-it-on-4th-and-8-philadelphia-eagles-win-probability

21 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

So, as a Pats fan, I was a little nervous going into this game. NE's "defense" had been making practice squad players look like Joe Montana, Randy Moss, and Barry Sanders. They were committing penalties like a Rex Ryan coached team. Just awful! I was wondering if Matt Ryan was going to throw for 400 yards and 6 TDs! 

Luckily, my worries were unfounded. Dan Quinn, Sark, and the DC are clearly not ready for primetime. You have some excellent players on the Falcons, but they made stupid penalties, dropped too many passes, and the play calling was laughable! NE's D was made up of no names last night. The difference was that the coaches put them in a position to make plays.

You're right, there is a difference aggression and desperation. Quinn and crew made desperate decisions because it was almost like they knew they were going to be badly outreached. 

Agree 100%.

11 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

I think he realized that the defense was exhausted and would have let the Pats get back to midfield anyway even if we had punted.

Disagree with that logic. You know all I hear about the super bowl melt down is how the Falcons blew it but you know what, the other team still has to overcome that deficit and they have to be at the door when it opens so to speak. Belichick didn't do anything stupid in the first half that would interfere with a possible comeback in that game. DQ does this consistently. I give Belichick all the credit for keeping his team in the game no matter the circumstance. That game was over last night when DQ showed desperation right off the bat. It was a signal to his team and to the Patriots that he knew it would take devine intervention to beat them. Belichick doesn't make this mistake. When the door opens, you have to be there and ready to walk through it. That should be the coaches goal.

Edited by slider

It should be the goal of any HC that all drives should end with a kick. Extra point, field goal or punt. Only when the game is on the line and you have no option should you do what he did. The problem is that when you do these things, you signal to your team and the opposition that you believe the game is on the line and you have no option. Bad mentality to get into in the first half.

Edited by slider

Even worse than the 4th-and-7 that we converted in the first quarter was the 4th down attempt inside of two minutes. 

If we had just punted we probably would have pinned the Pats inside their 20 with a very good chance of going into the half only down 10-0 rather than giving NE a short field and being down 17-0 at the half.  Especially with the Falcon's having the ball starting the 3rd quarter.

Just stupid overly aggressive calls by DQ continuing the lack of situational awareness he has exhibited many times; most notably in the super bow.

Edited by brewman

4 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

A total lapse in judgement. Time, score, opponent, offensive performance to that point.

You can't suddenly fix a trainwreck with one unnecessary play at midfield.

Belichick probably thought Christmas had come early at that point.

Absolutely. It would be like getting in the ring with Mike Tyson and when the punching starts and you think you're gonna have to survive the initial onslaught to have a chance, then Tyson runs to a corner, balls up and starts covering up.

42 minutes ago, slider said:

It should be the goal of any HC that all drives should end with a kick. Extra point, field goal or punt. Only when the game is on the line and you have no option should you do what he did. The problem is that when you do these things, you signal to your team and the opposition that you believe the game is on the line and you have no option. Bad mentality to get into in the first half.

Well it's never anybody's goal to get stopped on 4th down. 

I just flat disagree with you that team's should never go for it.

6 minutes ago, tactician said:

I completely disagree with the OP. The only thing he did I liked were those 4th down calls. Punting the ball to Tom Brady does not help you win. You have to take chances to win. The only downside is if they don't work you might get blown out, whereas with punting you will still lose but by a smaller margin. Do you really think playing conservative and playing field position was the way to go? Come on man you gotta be kidding me.

Yes. It's playing to stay in the game until your team can get it together. Again...if the door opens for you, it makes no difference if you're not there to step in. Keep your team in the game until you win it or lose it. He builds his defense on the concept that he's gonna bet he can take the ball from you before you can get to the end zone. In order to do this, you must make the opposing team run as many plays and travel as long a distance as possible to give the defense a chance to make a play to turn the game around. Just saying, it ain't gonna happen because it's Brady is ludicrous. 

Edited by slider

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I didn't say they should never go for it. You should be forced to go for it by the game situation. I don't think that was the case last night.

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Again, if I race a train to the crossing, it's never my goal to die but the only way that death is a possibility is to race the train. If he punts, his team lives on. I he goes for it, he, metaphorically speaking, moves his team's possible death from the future to the NOW. The game situation did not require it.

1 minute ago, HEIST said:

The first one was gutsy and seemed like it sent a message. Second one came off kinda desperate. 

I think they were both stupid. I was so livid that I turned the TV off at halftime and went to bed. I admit to turning my bedroom TV on to check in once, just in time to see the Matt Bryant 'Doink' then off it went. There was no chance the Falcons were  going to be allowed to come back in that game. 

3 minutes ago, slider said:

Again, if I race a train to the crossing, it's never my goal to die but the only way that death is a possibility is to race the train. If he punts, his team lives on. I he goes for it, he, metaphorically speaking, moves his team's possible death from the future to the NOW. The game situation did not require it.

With the way the Falcons are playing on defense, the offense usually only gets 8 possessions.  I think they should go for it anytime they are across the 50.  The ball is precious, hang on to it if you can.