I See This Game a Bit Differently

Peyton

I think many Falcons fans viewed this game as some redemption opportunity, but I realized as the game approached that this game was really going to be a revisiting of the heartbreaking events that happened in February, and as I said last week I just think the Falcons needed to get past it.  I didn't suspect they could win.

I think the Falcons have collectively been going through a depression similar to that of someone who gets divorced.  Immediately after the divorce, you tell yourself and everybody that you are OK but you are still a little messed up, and that is what we saw in the preseason and first three weeks.  Then your ex tells you that she's found someone knew and she sets a wedding date, and you start to come undone as that date approaches, as you are reminded every day that you have lost the love of your life, and that is what we saw against the Bills and the Dolphins.  Well last night was the wedding day, and just like we would do when our ex gets remarried, the Falcons tried to put on a brave face but the pain was just too great and they just couldn't function properly.

Now, she's gone, just like last year's chance at capturing that trophy.  Half the dudes are going to curl up in the fetal position of their apartment watching dirty movies on their laptop for the rest of the year.  The other dudes are going to go out and find a new love.

Which one of those dudes are the Falcons?  We are about to find out.

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

I think many Falcons fans viewed this game as some redemption opportunity, but I realized as the game approached that this game was really going to be a revisiting of the heartbreaking events that happened in February, and as I said last week I just think the Falcons needed to get past it.  I didn't suspect they could win.

I think the Falcons have collectively been going through a depression similar to that of someone who gets divorced.  Immediately after the divorce, you tell yourself and everybody that you are OK but you are still a little messed up, and that is what we saw in the preseason and first three weeks.  Then your ex tells you that she's found someone knew and she sets a wedding date, and you start to come undone as that date approaches, as you are reminded every day that you have lost the love of your life, and that is what we saw against the Bills and the Dolphins.  Well last night was the wedding day, and just like we would do when our ex gets remarried, the Falcons tried to put on a brave face but the pain was just too great and they just couldn't function properly.

Now, she's gone, just like last year's chance at capturing that trophy.  Half the dudes are going to curl up in the fetal position of their apartment watching dirty movies on their laptop for the rest of the year.  The other dude are going to go out and find a new love.

I lol'd at your example. It does make sense, but these are grown professional well paid athletes who need to play the dam game. I'm certainly not one to hand these men a box of Kleenex. 

8 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Now, she's gone, just like last year's chance at capturing that trophy.  Half the dudes are going to curl up in the fetal position of their apartment watching dirty movies on their laptop for the rest of the year.  The other dudes are going to go out and find a new love.

They're not over it and it's worse than I thought.

Going for 4th and long in the 2nd quarter showed me how desperate they are.

Eventually the team will get over it and move on... but I don't think it's going to be this staff and it's not going to be this season.

Before last night they could say Shanahan blew the game... not anymore.  It was the staff and guys in the field... basically everyone.

Just now, GhostofGritz said:

Or, they're just not that good and had a career year with a very creative OC in 2016.

Matt Ryan kind of sucks right now.  Even if the Falcons just had Matt Ryan from 2008-2012, they would be 5-1 right now at least.  I hope we at least get that Matt Ryan back.

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

They're not over it and it's worse than I thought.

Going for 4th and long in the 2nd quarter showed me how desperate they are.

Eventually the team will get over it and move on... but I don't think it's going to be this staff and it's not going to be this season.

You might be right.  For most of the players though, I think last night was rock bottom emotionally.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Matt Ryan kind of sucks right now.  Even if the Falcons just had Matt Ryan from 2008-2012, they would be 5-1 right now at least.  I hope we at least get that Matt Ryan back.

Ryan needs rhythm. He, for a myriad of reasons, is getting none of that this year. His deep ball has absolutely vanished, the OC isn't doing any favors via play calling, receivers dropping passes left and right. 

3 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

About to find out?  We know who this team.  I think the folks claiming we don't are just holding out hope that we can get back to last year but that's just desperation.  

I think the Falcons can be good enough on offense and defense to beat anybody, but they have to get their heads straight.  I don't know if they are going to do it, but I have thought for a while that they wouldn't be able to do it until this game was past them.  Now it is. Is all this BS?  Maybe. It's just what I think.

1 minute ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Ryan needs rhythm. He, for a myriad of reasons, is getting none of that this year. His deep ball has absolutely vanished, the OC isn't doing any favors via play calling, receivers dropping passes left and right. 

The fundamentals lost along the line and by receivers has Matt so off he's regressing faster than they are now. Something has to change for a "fix" to happen. Personally, I believe the Oline is the root of it. A jittery QB coupled with a weak OC and you have at best an 8-8 season.

Just now, The Great American said:

Can't relate to the divorce/depression analogy.  Makes sense.   

I did recently go through a divorce. I was thinking of my ex-wife as I wrote this, actually the emotional trauma I described was hers as I quickly remarried once the divorce was final. I have had plenty of emotional trauma of my own in relation to the experience.

I just thought the analogy sounded better as a man lol.

11 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think the Falcons can be good enough on offense and defense to beat anybody, but they have to get their heads straight.  I don't know if they are going to do it, but I have thought for a while that they wouldn't be able to do it until this game was past them.  Now it is. Is all this BS?  Maybe. It's just what I think.

I will never begrudge a fan for being optimistic.  I just think as the weeks go by it's becoming more apparent that this team is not mentally tough enough to bounce back from that loss, and that with the new OC, lack of veteran leadership, etc. are going to make for a very disappointing season.

Notice how the Falcons started by fighting to pull out a road win, then winning their grand opening at MBS, then barely holding on in another road win....then letting one get away late...then absolutely choking against the Tunas for crissake....and finally last night, when they looked like they didn't know how to tie their shoelaces without screwing it up.  The only thing that would've made last night worse would've been a 28-3 final score.   

My point is, this season has been a definitive downward progression, all leading to the Patriots rematch. 

Now, thank god, that part is over...they'll either get better, or worse. 

The season is probably shot, but at least that rematch is behind them and MAYBE they can concentrate on each week's new opponent. 

7 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

I will never begrudge a fan for being optimistic.  I just think as the weeks go by it's becoming more apparent that this team is not mentally tough enough to bounce back from that loss, and that with the new OC, lack of veteran leadership, etc. are going to make for a very disappointing season.

I wouldn't say that I am expressing optimism.

I am only saying that I think there was no way the Falcons were going to be able to get their mind right until this game was past them.

I have no idea what we are going to see next week, but I can definitely see a scenario where they bounce back.

7 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

Mentally tough is spot on. They aren't. And we don't have the coaching staff to put them in a position to gain some confidence. 

It's a good analogy. I don't think "superbowl hangover" is the right term, but something mental is going on.

They were so good offensively last year that it is messing with their heads this year. They started out thinking they are still that good. Then, with some missteps, they started wondering.

Now, they're just confused. It's like when Austin Powers had his mojo stolen.

Eventually (hopefully sooner than later), they'll put all that behind them, and just start focusing on the fundamentals of football.

Last year doesn't matter. "Are we still good?" doesn't matter. All that matters is getting this win right in front of us.

Once they get there, they'll be fine ... probably really good in fact.

40 minutes ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

Even as bad as they have looked, season isn't lost yet as all the losses thus far has been against the AFCE. After this Jets game, all remaining games are against the NFC. We could possibly savage the season, but it has to start now.

The Eagles are the only 1 loss team in the entire league.  Clearly the Falcons are still in the thick of things if they can start to play to their potential.  It's a big if at this point, but the talent is there.

.....Then you realize there are plenty of fish in the sea, who needs the smelly old clam. LOL you got Tech and Georgia both playing great football and Atlanta United can actually pack the dome with rocking fans. It's not like this is a kettle of fresh fish and its the first time they have been this way. We've smelt these fish entrails before,that's the season being washed away again...

From your viewpoint, it almost sounds like the best strategy for the Falcons would be a total roster liquidation.  Unfortunately, that could not happen until the offseason.  Instead the Falcons are really very close to who they were last year and are going to have to find a new identity without thoughts of who they were or were not last year.

Just now, jlrfalcon said:

From your viewpoint, it almost sounds like the best strategy for the Falcons would be a total roster liquidation.  Unfortunately, that could not happen until the offseason.  Instead the Falcons are really very close to who they were last year and are going to have to find a new identity without thoughts of who they were or were not last year.

Total roster liquidation?

No, I just think the Falcons have to stop feeling sorry for themselves and fight.