How did Sark get a job in the NFL?

This guy is the head coach of USC - one of the biggest college programs in the country. And gets fired (get this) because he's showing up to team meetings DRUNK. This dude is not only a known alcholic, but has never even gotten a team into the college football playoff. Outside of some decent running-games at the COLLEGE LEVEL, this dude has never demonstrated anything that would lead an NFL organization to believe that he has what it takes to call plays at the HIGHEST LEVEL OF FOOTBALL IN THE WORLD.

You know what would happen to me if I showed up to my job drunk? I'd get fired. But you know what else would happen? No one in my field would want to hire me. No company would want to hire me after they call up my old employer and find out that when I strolled into work, I had a couple glasses before I even came in through the door. But here's Steve ******* Sarkisian. NOT ONLY does this dude get fired for being a drunk and get another job almost immediately, he gets a job at the best collegiate football program in the world. He does an absolutely abysmal job in the College Football Championship Game and instead of being questioned -- he's offered a job by the most stacked offensive roster in the NFL. An under-achieving drunk has mind-bogglingly (that's not a word and I don't care, quite ******* frankly) landed great job after great job in his industry.

I know I'm not an offensive coordinator and I know it's a competitive market. But how in the **** does one dude get so heavily rewarded even though he's consistently demonstrated mediocrity throughout his career? How is it even possible that he's our offensive coordinator right now?

I've NEVER been one for overreactions. I've ALWAYS been the patient one -- even in 2015, when Shanahan looked terrible. But this, I can't defend. We have the best receiving core in the league, the best runningback duo, and every single returning starter back except for Patrick DiMarco. And unless Patrick DiMarco happened to be Jesus Christ himself in disguise, there is absolutely no way we should be underperforming this much.

FIRE STEVE SARKISIAN.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

36 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

You know what should have happened after Miami?

Navorro Bowman should have been signed. And Hageman should be back on the roster. Poe has been a bust and Grady hasn't delivered. Year 3 and this defense still sucks. 

Hageman is still on the commissioners exempt list, is he not?

42 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

You know what should have happened after Miami?

Navorro Bowman should have been signed. And Hageman should be back on the roster. Poe has been a bust and Grady hasn't delivered. Year 3 and this defense still sucks. 

I wouldn't say the defense sucks. They're probably slightly above average. But like most defenses we have weaknesses. We're weak up the middle and really struggle at the POA. We need to add some stoutness. Poe seemed to be that guy but guess not. 

Agree with Sark though. Just a mind boggling hire. Guy hasn't shown any consistent big leauge talent as a coordinator and we give him keys to a top 10 offense of all time. I'm shocked at how stale and uncreative this offense looks. Unlike Shannys first year were you could see the explosion theres nothing that leaves me optimistic about Sark. Terrible, Terrible hire and one we need to move on from asap. 

7 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

This guy is the head coach of USC - one of the biggest college programs in the country. And gets fired (get this) because he's showing up to team meetings DRUNK. This dude is not only a known alcholic, but has never even gotten a team into the college football playoff. Outside of some decent running-games at the COLLEGE LEVEL, this dude has never demonstrated anything that would lead an NFL organization to believe that he has what it takes to call plays at the HIGHEST LEVEL OF FOOTBALL IN THE WORLD.

You know what would happen to me if I showed up to my job drunk? I'd get fired. But you know what else would happen? No one in my field would want to hire me. No company would want to hire me after they call up my old employer and find out that when I strolled into work, I had a couple glasses before I even came in through the door. But here's Steve ******* Sarkisian. NOT ONLY does this dude get fired for being a drunk and get another job almost immediately, he gets a job at the best collegiate football program in the world. He does an absolutely abysmal job in the College Football Championship Game and instead of being questioned -- he's offered a job by the most stacked offensive roster in the NFL. An under-achieving drunk has mind-bogglingly (that's not a word and I don't care, quite ******* frankly) landed great job after great job in his industry.

I know I'm not an offensive coordinator and I know it's a competitive market. But how in the **** does one dude get so heavily rewarded even though he's consistently demonstrated mediocrity throughout his career? How is it even possible that he's our offensive coordinator right now?

I've NEVER been one for overreactions. I've ALWAYS been the patient one -- even in 2015, when Shanahan looked terrible. But this, I can't defend. We have the best receiving core in the league, the best runningback duo, and every single returning starter back except for Patrick DiMarco. And unless Patrick DiMarco happened to be Jesus Christ himself in disguise, there is absolutely no way we should be underperforming this much.

FIRE STEVE SARKISIAN.

The experience/mental part with Sark I completely agree with.  The alcohol part of the rant, not so much.  The stigma just isn't there in the NFL, like it is in many other workplaces, to keep somebody with that type problem out.  The cokehead in Miami? He'll do a publicity rehab stint and probably be coaching again in a year or so.  Understand you're ranting, but if we're gonna keep him, then IMO, give him a 5th of Jack and stick him in the booth and see if that helps loosen up his playcalling.

In every profession, people get promoted or hired because of who they know, not what they know and the NFL is not immune from it and is actually one of the worst offenders. Doesn't matter that you are at the highest level. This is a glaring example of it simply because the only change is the OC.

4 minutes ago, Absolute said:

Sark is terrible...but there may be nothing we can do.  If you are going to have someone run the same offense we had last year why not just keep one of the guys on the staff!?  Matt LaFleur should have been retained.  Quinntroffed

Probably because he isn't one of Quinn's buddies that HE chose.

It would've made sense for continuity and keep that motor rolling, but it seems he'd rather have someone reinvent the wheel and try all brakes, no gas.

This isn’t rocket science. We have the highest paid RB in the league and twice on 3rd and half a yard to go, we went empty backfield. In the passing game, our highest paid RB in the league got 3 passes and Coleman nothing.

At the goal line we ran a jet sweep that NE jumped all over as soon as the 5 foot nothing Gabriel went in motion. I’m not even sure we have a FB on the roster anymore or he has become the newest super-hero; Invisible Man.

Sark is a terrible play-caller. At Alabama he went pass happy in the NC game with the best running team in the country and cost the ‘Tide a NC. The best receiver in the NFL gets his first TD 7 weeks in.

The guy is god-awful at calling plays. 

46 minutes ago, lod01 said:

In every profession, people get promoted or hired because of who they know, not what they know and the NFL is not immune from it and is actually one of the worst offenders. Doesn't matter that you are at the highest level. This is a glaring example of it simply because the only change is the OC.

"Crony-ism?"