Choate endorses Ahtyba Rubin

lostnmexico

On Wednesday, I talked wistfully about the possibility of the team drafting a defensive tackle in the middle rounds of the 2017 NFL Draft, instead of one of the players they wound up with. That was chiefly because the Falcons’ run defense has continued to be a huge issue, and with Ra’Shede Hageman cut and Courtney Upshaw on the shelf, the Falcons have had very few quality options behind Grady Jarrett and Dontari Poe.

Joe Vellano has shown himself to be what you would expect a player like Joe Vellano to be: Solid enough, but overmatched against some of the stronger offensive linemen out there, and not the kind of run stopper Atlanta badly needs. Getting Vellano and Tupou back on the bench (or practice squad) in favor of a proven player was an obvious move.

They fixed that yesterday when they signed Ahtyba Rubin, the former Seahawk and Bronco. Rubin was a terrific run stopper in 2016 for the Seahawks, starting 16 games at defensive tackle, and generally is just a quality, burly player who is difficult to move. The Falcons have had a ton of trouble with tackling on the second level this year as Duke Riley acclimates to the NFL and others simply whiff, which makes it even more important that the defensive line is capable of helping to stop the run. Rubin, despite his scant production and the fact that he has been cut twice this year, can certainly aid in that regard.

That’s why the signing makes a ton of sense: The Falcons were lacking a third defensive tackle who could stop the run, period. Upshaw should return and can continue to be a valuable rotational piece, but Rubin has size and a history of production on his side, and his presence should allow Upshaw to play more on passing downs and perhaps even get a look at end, if he’s needed there. Rubin can also take over from Poe on some obvious running downs, if the team wants to go in that direction, and give the team’s shiny free agent acquisition more rest than he’s gotten to this point.

For Rubin, it’s an opportunity to bolster his value again after he was unceremoniously dumped by two good defenses for no obvious reason, as the Falcons should have no trouble finding him 10-20 snaps per game throughout the rest of the 2017 season. It was an obvious win-win signing that helps the Falcons get better against the run, however incrementally, and Rubin could prove to be a key piece of the puzzle as Atlanta tries to right the ship.

Edited by lostnmexico

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

We seriously need an anchor, or depth at it because we are struggling. We are designed to stop the run we arent doing it. This will help a lot.

I thought our defense was more of a pass stopping D. I mean we have speed everywhere and pass rushers so we can shut down the passing game. That's why we did so well last year because we always played with a lead.

I could be wrong though.

22 hours ago, Hibachi said:

Don't Hageman get 6 games suspension when he gets sign by a team?

He's serving it now, able to serve without being on a team.  Pretty sure he'll be available to play next week so don't be surprised if a team picks him up.

Like I said in another thread, depending on what the details of his personal issue was I'd like to have him back.

13 hours ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

Hageman being resigned lol. Is this a joke? It's amazing how so many on the board were down on him. Then once he's gone want him back

Not sure he's the answer to the run defense.

We were ranked 15th, 16th and 26th in yards allowed per carry with him in tow.

Wasn't much better in the pass game.

55 minutes ago, WornOutFalconFan said:

I thought our defense was more of a pass stopping D. I mean we have speed everywhere and pass rushers so we can shut down the passing game. That's why we did so well last year because we always played with a lead.

I could be wrong though.

Philosophically, the base defense is supposed to be all about stopping the run which is why you see all the 8 man fronts on 1st and 2nd down.

1 hour ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

He's serving it now, able to serve without being on a team.  Pretty sure he'll be available to play next week so don't be surprised if a team picks him up.

Like I said in another thread, depending on what the details of his personal issue was I'd like to have him back.

Yeah me too, but the only problem is I don't think Blank wants that kind of stamp on his organization. Will see, we could sure use him

10 hours ago, WornOutFalconFan said:

I could be wrong though.

Was saying this due to the safety being in the box with cover 3.