Jump to content

The Super Bowl Collapse is in this Team's Heads Soooooo Bad


Peyton
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's time for this team to stand up and be men in the 4th quarter of a big game.  That's the only way they are going to shake this funk.

The long time fans of this team know that this team has often wilted late, regardless of the who the QB or coach was at the time.  I think we thought that all culminated in the Super Bowl and with all the young talent, the Falcons would tackle that issue and show up stronger men this season.

But the problem seems even worse now.

I truly believed this team could be dominant on offense and defense.  In reality the offense has been just "good" and the defense, despite it's 10th ranking, has been frankly disappointing.  And both units are folding like the cheapest of tents in the second half.

On offense the Falcons have scored 3 TDs in the second half this year in 22 possessions.  They have given up 2 TDs.  They have turned the ball over 6 times in the second half.  They have a serious second half disappearing act going on, and we've seen this before.  The difference is this year the team isn't building 20+ leads before they go into operation shutdown.

The defense, which we all had such high hopes for, has been pretty disappointing.  They are 32nd in turnovers created, 31st in TOP per drive, 32nd in plays allowed per drive, 22nd in yards allowed per drive, and 19th in points allowed per drive.  In the second half of games, they are giving up and astonishing 7.8 plays, 37.6 yards, and 2.64 points per drive.  The opponents have scored on 14 second half drives against the Falcons and only punted 7 times in the second half.

Those numbers look disappointing on their face, but when you consider that the Falcons have so far played the 22nd, 27th, 29th, 31st, and 32nd ranked offenses in the league, it's downright disturbing.  And guess what, Sunday the Falcons play the number 1 offense in the league.

The Falcons earned the title of the biggest chokers in history in the Super Bowl and this year they are doing everything they can to live up to that billing.

They have a chance to begin to change that narrative on Sunday night.  I am guessing that as sick as all of us Falcon's fans are of having our team made fun of for being Wilty Mcwilterpants, the team and coaching staff are even more sick of it.

Lets see if they can stand up and be men on Sunday night.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Except that they "disappeared" in second halves of games before the Super Bowl....

And the Seahawks under DQ/GB had the same issue of letting teams back into games late. 

I think the Super Bowl loss is more in the fanbase's heads than the players' heads, TBH. 

As I mentioned in my post, this franchise has wilted in the big moments for all of its existence.

But I guess some of us were hoping that was going to change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The funny thing is I don’t think it’s in their head at all.  I don’t even think this is a “Super Bowl hangover”.  

 

As far as blowing big leads is concerned we were doing that before the super bowl.  The big game was just the first time it came back to bite us and we actually lost a game because of it.  That’s part of the make up of this defense until further notice. 

 

The difference between this year and last year is that last year we always(except for the sb) scored so many points that the opposing offense couldn’t crawl all the way back.  This year we are having inconsistent o line play, miscommunications on offense and at time pretty poor play calling on offense.  These problems stem from changing offensive coordinators and can hopefully be worked out over time.  I don’t think we can win 1 game and say “ok we’re over it now”.  It’s going to be a gelling process and hopefully we don’t lose too many games before we get comfortable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, abstract said:

The funny thing is I don’t think it’s in their head at all.  I don’t even think this is a “Super Bowl hangover”.  

As far as blowing big leads is concerned we were doing that before the super bowl.  The big game was just the first time it came back to bite us and we actually lost a game because of it.  That’s part of the make up of this defense until further notice. 

The difference between this year and last year is that last year we always(except for the sb) scored so many points that the opposing offense couldn’t crawl all the way back.  This year we are having inconsistent o line play, miscommunications on offense and at time pretty poor play calling on offense.  These problems stem from changing offensive coordinators and can hopefully be worked out over time.  I don’t think we can win 1 game and say “ok we’re over it now”.  It’s going to be a gelling process and hopefully we don’t lose too many games before we get comfortable.

Like I said, the Falcons have always wilted in the big moments.  Obviously that didn't start with the Super Bowl.  We had Danny White 78 and 80, we had the 98 team that made the Super Bowl and then embarrassed itself in more ways than one,  we had Jim Mora's teams that would collapse in the second half of the season, we had the 2012 NFC Championship game, and yada yada yada.

I thought that as these kids from last year grew into men this year, that would change. 

And I don't think I'll ever be ready to say "cool, this is just who the Falcons are forever".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

We need to win this game plain and simple for a many many different reasons..we need this one bad 

A win would be fantastic, but showing some guts in the second half in a close loss would be OK.

However if this team blows another double digit lead, that might be too much for this team to come back from emotionally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Peyton said:

A win would be fantastic, but showing some guts in the second half in a close loss would be OK.

However if this team blows another double digit lead, that might be too much for this team to come back from emotionally.

I agree..I think a win up there will go a long way with getting this blowing leads choking label out of their heads..just for a confidence stand point we need this win..like you said if they gain a lead and blow it again to lose idk if they can come back from that.but the thing is the offense is tops In a lot of cataorgies right now so that tells me they are close..just need to clean up the mistakes..that juggernaut offense is there just buried in mistakes and miscues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't put any stock into the whole 'hangover' thing until the loss to the Tunas.

Now I can't help but acknowledge it because the team plain and simple...choked.  

Again. 

If they can show up for 4 quarters Sunday night it will go a long way toward leaving 28-3 behind.  But what worries me is the team might be SO amped for this rematch that they'll go out and lay a huge dump in front of the whole world.

Again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Except that they "disappeared" in second halves of games before the Super Bowl....

And the Seahawks under DQ/GB had the same issue of letting teams back into games late. 

I think the Super Bowl loss is more in the fanbase's heads than the players' heads, TBH. 

+1

Exactly!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

I didn't put any stock into the whole 'hangover' thing until the loss to the Tunas.

Now I can't help but acknowledge it because the team plain and simple...choked.  

Again. 

If they can show up for 4 quarters Sunday night it will go a long way toward leaving 28-3 behind.  But what worries me is the team might be SO amped for this rematch that they'll go out and lay a huge dump in front of the whole world.

Again.

Yeah I agree sometimes in football a team wants it to much, and the Patriots have a long history of embarrassing teams in those highly hyped regular season scenarios.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Like I said, the Falcons have always wilted in the big moments.  Obviously that didn't start with the Super Bowl.  We had Danny White 78 and 80, we had the 98 team that made the Super Bowl and then embarrassed itself in more ways than one,  we had Jim Mora's teams that would collapse in the second half of the season, we had the 2012 NFC Championship game, and yada yada yada.

I thought that as these kids from last year grew into men this year, that would change. 

And I don't think I'll ever be ready to say "cool, this is just who the Falcons are forever".

I think the collapses in the second half with this falcons team are mainly fatigue issues that have been compounded by short second half drives by our offense that keeps the D on the field longer.   Our defense cannot maintain physicality through a whole game, they’re too small.  On top of that our poor play calling on offense and lack of o line execution/stupid turnovers has really limited our TOP in the second half. 

 

We have the fastest defense in the NFL.  It isn’t doing much for us.  Perhaps Quinn should tweak his defensive philosophy a bit.

Edited by abstract
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, abstract said:

I think the collapses in the second half with this falcons team are mainly fatigue issues that have been compounded by short second half drives by our offense that keeps the D on the field longer.   Our defense cannot maintain physicality through a whole game, they’re too small.  On top of that our play calling on offense and lack of o line execution/stupid turnovers has really limited our TOP in the second half. 

 

We we have the fastest defense in the NFL.  It isn’t doing much for us.  Perhaps Quinn should tweak his defensive philosophy a bit.

This is exactly what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, abstract said:

I think the collapses in the second half with this falcons team are mainly fatigue issues that have been compounded by short second half drives by our offense that keeps the D on the field longer.   Our defense cannot maintain physicality through a whole game, they’re too small.  On top of that our poor play calling on offense and lack of o line execution/stupid turnovers has really limited our TOP in the second half. 

We have the fastest defense in the NFL.  It isn’t doing much for us.  Perhaps Quinn should tweak his defensive philosophy a bit.

The Dolphins started the second half with a 15 play 9 minute drive.  That didn't have anything to do with the offense.

The Bills had an 19 play ,11 minute drive after the Falcons had dominated time of possession up until that point.

This defense just isn't getting off the field in the second half.

And yeah, the offense is having a rough time too. They are equally culpable for the second half slump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Except that they "disappeared" in second halves of games before the Super Bowl....

And the Seahawks under DQ/GB had the same issue of letting teams back into games late. 

I think the Super Bowl loss is more in the fanbase's heads than the players' heads, TBH. 

giphy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

It's time for this team to stand up and be men in the 4th quarter of a big game.  That's the only way they are going to shake this funk.

The long time fans of this team know that this team has often wilted late, regardless of the who the QB or coach was at the time.  I think we thought that all culminated in the Super Bowl and with all the young talent, the Falcons would tackle that issue and show up stronger men this season.

But the problem seems even worse now.

I truly believed this team could be dominant on offense and defense.  In reality the offense has been just "good" and the defense, despite it's 10th ranking, has been frankly disappointing.  And both units are folding like the cheapest of tents in the second half.

On offense the Falcons have scored 3 TDs in the second half this year in 22 possessions.  They have given up 2 TDs.  They have turned the ball over 6 times in the second half.  They have a serious second half disappearing act going on, and we've seen this before.  The difference is this year the team isn't building 20+ leads before they go into operation shutdown.

The defense, which we all had such high hopes for, has been pretty disappointing.  They are 32nd in turnovers created, 31st in TOP per drive, 32nd in plays allowed per drive, 22nd in yards allowed per drive, and 19th in points allowed per drive.  In the second half of games, they are giving up and astonishing 7.8 plays, 37.6 yards, and 2.64 points per drive.  The opponents have scored on 14 second half drives against the Falcons and only punted 7 times in the second half.

Those numbers look disappointing on their face, but when you consider that the Falcons have so far played the 22nd, 27th, 29th, 31st, and 32nd ranked offenses in the league, it's downright disturbing.  And guess what, Sunday the Falcons play the number 1 offense in the league.

The Falcons earned the title of the biggest chokers in history in the Super Bowl and this year they are doing everything they can to live up to that billing.

They have a chance to begin to change that narrative on Sunday night.  I am guessing that as sick as all of us Falcon's fans are of having our team made fun of for being Wilty Mcwilterpants, the team and coaching staff are even more sick of it.

Lets see if they can stand up and be men on Sunday night.

 

 

They didn't choke in the Superbowl. The "impossible" happened. Every play and circumstance that the Patriots needed to defy the odds..from penalties to injuries to lucky bounces.....happened. If only ONE play in that time span went Atlanta's way, then we wouldn't be discussing this right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Except that they "disappeared" in second halves of games before the Super Bowl....

And the Seahawks under DQ/GB had the same issue of letting teams back into games late. 

I think the Super Bowl loss is more in the fanbase's heads than the players' heads, TBH. 

Did the Seahawks really have the same issue as the Falcons?

Not only did the Seahawks finish 1st in points allowed and yardage both seasons that Quinn was the DC, but they also held opponents to single digits THIRTEEN TIMES in two seasons, including holding the highest scoring offense of all time to 8 points in the Super Bowl.

The Falcons have held a team to single digits one time in the last 76 games, including playoffs.

So yeah, I don't think I'd say that team had the same issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

They didn't choke in the Superbowl. The "impossible" happened. Every play and circumstance that the Patriots needed to defy the odds..from penalties to injuries to lucky bounces.....happened. If only ONE play in that time span went Atlanta's way, then we wouldn't be discussing this right now.

Dude, I don't want to take anything away from the Pats, but the Falcons choked on that hard. 

It wasn't Ryan specifically, or Shanahan specifically, or Quinn specifically, or Freeman specifically, they all had a role in it. 

And I will grant you that the team played hard til the end, but that was a choke job, and it is always going to be rightfully remembered as such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Dude, I don't want to take anything away from the Pats, but the Falcons choked on that hard. 

It wasn't Ryan specifically, or Shanahan specifically, or Quinn specifically, or Freeman specifically, they all had a role in it. 

And I will grant you that the team played hard til the end, but that was a choke job, and it is always going to be rightfully remembered as such.

I beg to differ. It was Shannahan specifically. Math will back that up (you can also count DQ if you think he should have overruled Shannahan’s ego)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...