It could have been Atlanta

lostnmexico

While I applaud the signing of Rubin for the defensive line, it was the Linebacker that I really wanted.  This just came over the wire:

Raiders' NaVorro Bowman: In line to start Thursday
2 hrs ago
Bowman is in line to start Thursday night against the Chiefs, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Bowman, who previously logged 38 tackles in five games for the 49ers this season, has been brought up to speed quickly by Oakland's coaches and is evidently ready for a key role with his new team. Once it's established that he's in store for a steady workload in the Raiders defense, Bowman has a chance to re-emerge as a lineup option in IDP formats.

So much for being washed up and not worth the time.  Coulda been us......

Edited by lostnmexico

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So he's not washed up and worth the time because the team that signed him said so? The team with 60 million in cap space released him for a reason. His knees are shot. Not everyone is Thomas Davis. 

No he is not washed up because in just a couple days after his reléase, he not only found a job, but became a starting Linebacker for the Los Angels Raiders and should have been able to do the same with Atlanta.  He has a lot of Football left in him and he got relesed by San Fran because they wanted to show off their shiny new rookie in Ruben Foster.

Just now, ParanoidAndroid said:

Everyone has been saying since day 1 that he would end up there.  Who knows how long he has left to play.  By going there, he doesn't have to uproot his family on a prove-it year coming off injury.  Atlanta was never in the running. 

All Atlanta had to do was make a waiver claim.  They would have gotten him as he cleared waivers.

6 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

No he is not washed up because in just a couple days after his reléase, he not only found a job, but became a starting Linebacker for the Los Angels Raiders and should have been able to do the same with Atlanta.  He has a lot of Football left in him and he got relesed by San Fran because they wanted to show off their shiny new rookie in Ruben Foster.

Remember Ed Harwell? Tell me what bowman has done since Willis retired. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Where exactly would he fit since he can't cover anymore?

Middle Linebacker moving Deion Jones to the weakside with Campbell on the strongside.  With speed on the edges, the middle is OK and it gets Riley on the bench where he belongs right now.

He is not what he once was in coverage but he is no Worrilow either.

In any event, we missed our opportunity.

Edited by lostnmexico

15 minutes ago, jeffro2000 said:

Just stop it. 

He is a veteran. He wasn't waived.

He wanted to go to Oakland. Period. It would have taken a lot of money more than he is worth and more than Atl had under the cap to convince him to sign here.

Location was everything to him.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/16/everything-navorro-bowman-said-in-his-first-raiders-press-conference/

Thanks man.  Found this.  Feel some better but would have loved to have had him in Atlanta. Ulbrich may have actually played with him in San Fran. In any event, not here and we have to look elsewhere if we want a backer!

It would have not made sense to sign him.  We play a base nickel defense a majority of the time.  Which means Deion and Campbell are on the field most of the time (FAST LBs) even then if you bring him in someone said to move Deion...?  Why would you move him?  That's the spot he has excelled at. I am sure people will say that Riley has been costing us with his missed tackles and running himself out of the play...but he will eventually learn and be cohesive with this defense.  Bringing in a vested veteran will only remove the necessary reps for someone like Duke.  SPEED is this defense's forte.  Bowman is not that.  Even if you place him in the middle and move DEBO, who do you take away??  We moved Campbell to be more of a pass rusher, and Riley is being used mostly for coverage.  It's his run stopping that is most troublesome.  I just seriously get frustrated when I see people talking about how you throw in this guy who USED to be great on another team and the expectation is that he will move right into the same spot and this defense will be complete.  I do agree that he is still able to play and probably suitable for some teams...but he lacks the one important thing this team needs...SPEED.  So what that he can tackle, that's what you got from Worrilow, but he was just as slow, meaning we needed someone faster, hence JONES, to take his spot, and I know there is a gap between PW and Bowman, but its same playing style, good tackler, poor coverage.  And again, I truly feel that this team is being built from inside out rather than plugging holes with FAs no matter how marquee they might be.  Look at our defense....trufant, alford, neal, allen, jones, campbell, riley, jarrett, beasley, mckinley, kazee, and collins were all drafted with the hopes of producing a team build on unity and teamwork.  I trust that we are building this team for now AND the future, stars that can produce early and continue for years to come.  Sorry to come across that way but I just hate hearing us as fans jump at the chance to sign someone based on his name rather than what he can really do for this team without changing the whole philosophy

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

While I applaud the signing of Rubin for the defensive line, it was the Linebacker that I really wanted.  This just came over the wire:

2 hrs ago
Bowman is in line to start Thursday night against the Chiefs, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Bowman, who previously logged 38 tackles in five games for the 49ers this season, has been brought up to speed quickly by Oakland's coaches and is evidently ready for a key role with his new team. Once it's established that he's in store for a steady workload in the Raiders defense, Bowman has a chance to re-emerge as a lineup option in IDP formats.

The way our defense has been playing and lack of tackling...i would have at least made an offer....at least i know he can tackle...plus his leadership is priceless...he could have served the same role to the linebackers as Dwight Freeney did for the D Line...his knowledge would have benefited all the linebackers..and thats what this young group needs...Bowman was a long shot anyway...but i do believe we need a vet linebacker

Edited by RING OF HONOR

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

Los angels raiders... can you lay off the meth for one day? Seriously your act is tired and old.. the raiders are 2-4 with a terrible defense they were desperate for a LB 

2 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

All Atlanta had to do was make a waiver claim.  They would have gotten him as he cleared waivers.

2 hours ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Bowman was released, not waived.  There's a difference.  Plus, him making the starting roster for the depleted Raiders doesn't mean he'd make it here.

And even if he was subject to being waived, the Raiders have a worse record than us and would have a shot at him before us.

C'mon OP. You're starting to make me miss the Patriots fanboys.

Edited by middlegatv

3 hours ago, lostnmexico said:

2 hrs ago

You do know Oakland is right next to San Fran so there's little to no disruption to his family life if they live in that area?

Chances are he probably lives in Oakland anyway as real estate in San Fran is crazy.