Jump to content

Julio Jones is 31st in the League


Recommended Posts

Through 6 weeks Julio Jones, arguably the best WR in the league ranks 31st in targets. Well we had a bye week so obviously that's why right? Wrong. 8 of the 30 players getting more targets than Julio also had a bye. Well Julio draws too many double coverages and safeties over the top right? What about Antonio Brown? He leads the league in targets with no less than 9 per game and an average of 12.3. What else does he lead the league in? Receptions and yards. What are some other notable names getting more targets than Julio? How as bout Odell Beckham Jr. Yeah, the guy with two blank games this year has more targets. Robby Anderson from the NY Jets. Emmanuel Sanders AND Demaryius Thomas. Of course we also have Pierre Garcon on this list. I didn't like Shanny at the end of his run here but he knew the importance of getting your #1 involved early and heavy. Sark needs to find ways to get Julio the ball. Stop this "we'll take whatever they give us" nonsense. Game plan around their weakness. Put Julio in the slot, attack their weakness. Get this **** together before it spirals out of control. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I'm supremely done with being upset at this point. That ended for me on Monday. I agree with the premise of the post. Julio also missed a half a game so that has to be accounted for but I see A Brown and others get thrown to like crazy because the OC puts him in the position to capitalize. I haven't seen Julio go down on the first tackle all season long. He is playing like he wants it on every down. We have to feed that and feed it constantly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Although I'm supremely done with being upset at this point. That ended for me on Monday. I agree with the premise of the post. Julio also missed a half a game so that has to be accounted for but I see A Brown and others get thrown to like crazy because the OC puts him in the position to capitalize. I haven't seen Julio go down on the first tackle all season long. He is playing like he wants it on every down. We have to feed that and feed it constantly. 

Yeah man. I'm sick of him being a decoy to open up other things. Put 3 in a bunch and move Gabriel or motion a RB as a decoy and go to our All Pro, All World WR. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Julio dont give a chit about where he ranks, and yes I take it back, Julio was definately worth 5 players the year he was drafted.

But stats bedammed, we have a serious problem with our coaching, and while I think our offense gets squared away in the second half of the season, it remains to be seen about our defense.

Buck and Kincade, on 680 am.  Most days that show grates on my nerves, and while  Kincade is a little beech,  I can not argue against him that the problem with our team starts and ends with the Head Coach.  

Quinns Rah Rah Cheerleader coaching style is Flaming out worse than a drag queen taking a beating at the Waffle House parking lot.

Brotherhood??  Mother FKR Please  Shut the FK Up and Coach.

Quips, Quiche and Queefs to not belong on our sidelines.

Do we still blame Kyle the Shanny for losing the Super bowl ? Quinn coach with the Sea Hags when they lost to the Patriots, by Not Running the Ball, and history repeated itself with the Falcons.,  Yes that was Pete Carrols mistake, but DQ was right there with him.

Meanwhile, Hageman is gone, and Big Jack is gone for the season too; Has this been addressed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

15 minutes ago, Karst41 said:

Julio dont give a chit about where he ranks, and yes I take it back, Julio was definately worth 5 players the year he was drafted.

But stats bedammed, we have a serious problem with our coaching, and while I think our offense gets squared away in the second half of the season, it remains to be seen about our defense.

Buck and Kincade, on 680 am.  Most days that show grates on my nerves, and while  Kincade is a little beech,  I can not argue against him that the problem with our team starts and ends with the Head Coach.  

Quinns Rah Rah Cheerleader coaching style is Flaming out worse than a drag queen taking a beating at the Waffle House parking lot.

Brotherhood??  Mother FKR Please  Shut the FK Up and Coach.

Quips, Quiche and Queefs to not belong on our sidelines.

Do we still blame Kyle the Shanny for losing the Super bowl ? Quinn coach with the Sea Hags when they lost to the Patriots, by Not Running the Ball, and history repeated itself with the Falcons.,  Yes that was Pete Carrols mistake, but DQ was right there with him.

Meanwhile, Hageman is gone, and Big Jack is gone for the season too; Has this been addressed?

You had me until the Sea Hags part. He can't control what the offense calls and his defense put  them in position to win the game. 

I do agree with the rest. Quinn has to right this ship and it won't be brotherhood that does it. We need to get back to basics and tackle better, fit our gaps better and finish better. Rico said they knew what the looks would be. What the formations would be. They didn't execute. I put our woes on defense more on the players than I do on the play calling. We've had everyone messing up all over from penalties to blown coverages and missed tackles to lack of keeping gap integrity. 

On offense I feel like our issues have been the play calling. A lot of people say it's vanilla and I agree. We have dynamic players but aren't using them well. Sark really needs to get more creative in getting the ball in our play makers hands. There has been glimpses but thats not enough. It needs to be more consistent and a constant that opposing defenses have to face and prepare for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sandtrap said:

Through 6 weeks Julio Jones, arguably the best WR in the league ranks 31st in targets. Well we had a bye week so obviously that's why right? Wrong. 8 of the 30 players getting more targets than Julio also had a bye. Well Julio draws too many double coverages and safeties over the top right? What about Antonio Brown? He leads the league in targets with no less than 9 per game and an average of 12.3. What else does he lead the league in? Receptions and yards. What are some other notable names getting more targets than Julio? How as bout Odell Beckham Jr. Yeah, the guy with two blank games this year has more targets. Robby Anderson from the NY Jets. Emmanuel Sanders AND Demaryius Thomas. Of course we also have Pierre Garcon on this list. I didn't like Shanny at the end of his run here but he knew the importance of getting your #1 involved early and heavy. Sark needs to find ways to get Julio the ball. Stop this "we'll take whatever they give us" nonsense. Game plan around their weakness. Put Julio in the slot, attack their weakness. Get this **** together before it spirals out of control. 

That is just effed up. I'm sure JJ isn't too happy about it either. You'd think they'd stick with the same game plan that got them to the SB last year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tandy said:

Julio's numbers last year through 5 games and this year through 5 games

2016 = 41 targets, 24 receptions, 517 yards, 3 TD

2017 = 37 targets, 25 receptions, 367 yards, 0 TD

 

Maybe that discredits my comment about Shanahan knowing how to get the balls into the hands of his #1 receiver but nothing else. The difference is that we were successful getting the ball to other players. And winning. My point is that right now we need to lean on our most talented skill position player. The explanation we get is that they want to get him the ball more but it's pretty much dictated by the defense. I think instead of relying on the defense to show us what they'll play and do a pick your poison offense, I'd prefer if Sark did more specific game planning to get Julio in more match ups that favor his ability. Look at the results of those two numbers. Targets and receptions are similar but yards and TDs are drastically different. A 2-5 yard "reception" is not equal to a "50 yard" catch and run. I hope you can understand the limitations of just referencing last year's totals to this time and trying to make it sound like it shuts down the argument because it doesn't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sandtrap said:

Maybe that discredits my comment about Shanahan knowing how to get the balls into the hands of his #1 receiver but nothing else. The difference is that we were successful getting the ball to other players. And winning. My point is that right now we need to lean on our most talented skill position player. The explanation we get is that they want to get him the ball more but it's pretty much dictated by the defense. I think instead of relying on the defense to show us what they'll play and do a pick your poison offense, I'd prefer if Sark did more specific game planning to get Julio in more match ups that favor his ability. Look at the results of those two numbers. Targets and receptions are similar but yards and TDs are drastically different. A 2-5 yard "reception" is not equal to a "50 yard" catch and run. I hope you can understand the limitations of just referencing last year's totals to this time and trying to make it sound like it shuts down the argument because it doesn't. 

I'm not trying to shut down any argument, only providing the information.   You can then make your determinations from those numbers.   The fact of the matter is - he's gotten the ball in his hands as many times in the first 5 games as he did last year.   The difference is in how the ball is being handled afterwards.

What's different?   Maybe injuries to the Offensive Line which causes more previously used  route running receivers to be held in for blocking?   Maybe it's the fact that there were injuries in the receiving corp which kept the quarterback and receiver from building a rhythm and being in sync as soon as normal?   Could it be the injuries to 2 key receivers during a period of the 5 game stretch?   Could it be not having the OL be entirely in sync because of new pieces and injuries to the line?   Maybe because there is a new player in the fullback position?   We also know the Carolina game last year skewed the numbers somewhat.

There are a lot of reasons why the numbers change.   For certain, having to get in sync with each other and with a new OC is one of them.   Learning each other - what works and what doesn't plays a big part in how the game is played.

I believe Julio is a major part of the offense - much more than even his receptions could ever portray.  I also want to see his production go up.   I want him to get the ball into the end zone.  I want to see the offense become more prolific.

I'm just not ready to point to one exact cause as the reason.  There are too many things which could have contributed to what's going on right now.    I'm not as shocked as everyone appears to be either - it actually makes sense when you look at everything from the line changes to the OC changes to the injuries.    

I think they'll get it together at some point.  Will it be in time to salvage this year?  I couldn't say, but they will get it together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sandtrap said:

Through 6 weeks Julio Jones, arguably the best WR in the league ranks 31st in targets. Well we had a bye week so obviously that's why right? Wrong. 8 of the 30 players getting more targets than Julio also had a bye. Well Julio draws too many double coverages and safeties over the top right? What about Antonio Brown? He leads the league in targets with no less than 9 per game and an average of 12.3. What else does he lead the league in? Receptions and yards. What are some other notable names getting more targets than Julio? How as bout Odell Beckham Jr. Yeah, the guy with two blank games this year has more targets. Robby Anderson from the NY Jets. Emmanuel Sanders AND Demaryius Thomas. Of course we also have Pierre Garcon on this list. I didn't like Shanny at the end of his run here but he knew the importance of getting your #1 involved early and heavy. Sark needs to find ways to get Julio the ball. Stop this "we'll take whatever they give us" nonsense. Game plan around their weakness. Put Julio in the slot, attack their weakness. Get this **** together before it spirals out of control. 

IKR . . . bunch of mularkey

Edited by Halcon-1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tandy said:

I'm not trying to shut down any argument, only providing the information.   You can then make your determinations from those numbers.   The fact of the matter is - he's gotten the ball in his hands as many times in the first 5 games as he did last year.   The difference is in how the ball is being handled afterwards.

What's different?   Maybe injuries to the Offensive Line which causes more previously used  route running receivers to be held in for blocking?   Maybe it's the fact that there were injuries in the receiving corp which kept the quarterback and receiver from building a rhythm and being in sync as soon as normal?   Could it be the injuries to 2 key receivers during a period of the 5 game stretch?   Could it be not having the OL be entirely in sync because of new pieces and injuries to the line?   Maybe because there is a new player in the fullback position?   We also know the Carolina game last year skewed the numbers somewhat.

There are a lot of reasons why the numbers change.   For certain, having to get in sync with each other and with a new OC is one of them.   Learning each other - what works and what doesn't plays a big part in how the game is played.

I believe Julio is a major part of the offense - much more than even his receptions could ever portray.  I also want to see his production go up.   I want him to get the ball into the end zone.  I want to see the offense become more prolific.

I'm just not ready to point to one exact cause as the reason.  There are too many things which could have contributed to what's going on right now.    I'm not as shocked as everyone appears to be either - it actually makes sense when you look at everything from the line changes to the OC changes to the injuries.    

I think they'll get it together at some point.  Will it be in time to salvage this year?  I couldn't say, but they will get it together.

Good post.

bottom line is offense has been out of synch in 2nd half of games with a lot more 3 and outs than we had during any stretch last year....

but we're also only 5 games into this season as well AND we've gone against 3 teams with the type of front 4's (bears/bills/dolphins) that traditionally give our smallish OL fits......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tandy said:

I'm not trying to shut down any argument, only providing the information.   You can then make your determinations from those numbers.   The fact of the matter is - he's gotten the ball in his hands as many times in the first 5 games as he did last year.   The difference is in how the ball is being handled afterwards.

What's different?   Maybe injuries to the Offensive Line which causes more previously used  route running receivers to be held in for blocking?   Maybe it's the fact that there were injuries in the receiving corp which kept the quarterback and receiver from building a rhythm and being in sync as soon as normal?   Could it be the injuries to 2 key receivers during a period of the 5 game stretch?   Could it be not having the OL be entirely in sync because of new pieces and injuries to the line?   Maybe because there is a new player in the fullback position?   We also know the Carolina game last year skewed the numbers somewhat.

There are a lot of reasons why the numbers change.   For certain, having to get in sync with each other and with a new OC is one of them.   Learning each other - what works and what doesn't plays a big part in how the game is played.

I believe Julio is a major part of the offense - much more than even his receptions could ever portray.  I also want to see his production go up.   I want him to get the ball into the end zone.  I want to see the offense become more prolific.

I'm just not ready to point to one exact cause as the reason.  There are too many things which could have contributed to what's going on right now.    I'm not as shocked as everyone appears to be either - it actually makes sense when you look at everything from the line changes to the OC changes to the injuries.    

I think they'll get it together at some point.  Will it be in time to salvage this year?  I couldn't say, but they will get it together.

 

Tandy I don't disagree with you the majority of what you're saying. I'm not saying that Julio's touches are the most relevant reason why we are where we are but it plays a major role. 3 TD's this time last year. Those 3 TD's this year could be the difference in wins/loss this year. **** even 1 or 2 TD's would be. The fact that Taylor Gabriel is leading this team in red zone targets is laughable. 

This was not meant to be a chicken little post. The sky isn't falling but it's getting dark as **** and a storm is brewing. If we don't right the ship now (literally NOW with this next emotional game against NE), we be too late to the show at the rate the other two teams are playing.

The handling of the ball afterwards is a mute point because Julio is Julio when he gets the ball. He's the most efficient WR per catch this year. He's averaging 14.7 yards per catch. He just needs more catches per game. Again the biggest issue I have with Julio's usage is when we leave him outside, expecting him to see double coverage and then looking elsewhere for a mismatch or a one-on-one matchup. Julio is a mismatch almost every down. We should be moving him around and getting him in the slot against their nickel if they man up. 

I don't buy the need for them to get in sync. Julio and Matt are in their 7th season together with over 500 receptions and many thousands of reps together through the years. I don't buy that because they didn't get a couple of months of practice together that they suddenly lost their sync. 

Lastly (this is all off memory not any stats that I'm looking up), the monster games where we've seen the Julio we all know and love are when he's getting targets and a big piece of the game plan. Julio isn't a Ted Ginn type player that gets all his yards in a game off 1 breakaway play. He's similar to some running backs and even Matt Ryan and plays much better when he gets into a rhythm. His attitude and explosiveness gets more and more confident when he's in a groove. 

I am still confident that we'll get it together at some point because there is too much talent not to but I am confident that we'd get there a **** of a lot faster if we rode the backs of the Ryan to Julio connection which in my opinion would open up a of other things too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, sandtrap said:

 

Tandy I don't disagree with you the majority of what you're saying. I'm not saying that Julio's touches are the most relevant reason why we are where we are but it plays a major role. 3 TD's this time last year. Those 3 TD's this year could be the difference in wins/loss this year. **** even 1 or 2 TD's would be. The fact that Taylor Gabriel is leading this team in red zone targets is laughable. 

This was not meant to be a chicken little post. The sky isn't falling but it's getting dark as **** and a storm is brewing. If we don't right the ship now (literally NOW with this next emotional game against NE), we be too late to the show at the rate the other two teams are playing.

The handling of the ball afterwards is a mute point because Julio is Julio when he gets the ball. He's the most efficient WR per catch this year. He's averaging 14.7 yards per catch. He just needs more catches per game. Again the biggest issue I have with Julio's usage is when we leave him outside, expecting him to see double coverage and then looking elsewhere for a mismatch or a one-on-one matchup. Julio is a mismatch almost every down. We should be moving him around and getting him in the slot against their nickel if they man up. 

I don't buy the need for them to get in sync. Julio and Matt are in their 7th season together with over 500 receptions and many thousands of reps together through the years. I don't buy that because they didn't get a couple of months of practice together that they suddenly lost their sync. 

Lastly (this is all off memory not any stats that I'm looking up), the monster games where we've seen the Julio we all know and love are when he's getting targets and a big piece of the game plan. Julio isn't a Ted Ginn type player that gets all his yards in a game off 1 breakaway play. He's similar to some running backs and even Matt Ryan and plays much better when he gets into a rhythm. His attitude and explosiveness gets more and more confident when he's in a groove. 

I am still confident that we'll get it together at some point because there is too much talent not to but I am confident that we'd get there a **** of a lot faster if we rode the backs of the Ryan to Julio connection which in my opinion would open up a of other things too.

And I don't disagree that getting the ball in Julio's hands is never a bad thing.   He's magic - and they have to find ways to make it happen.  I do think though that it will happen - and soon.    Most likely - on this road stretch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sandtrap said:

Yeah man. I'm sick of him being a decoy to open up other things. Put 3 in a bunch and move Gabriel or motion a RB as a decoy and go to our All Pro, All World WR. 

you guys are asking too much from a rookie O.C!! 

I was not never in favor of Sark not, that hes done bad but, hes not cut out for NFL ELITE TEAMS.

Matt Ryan does not need an O.C to call plays for him...he can do whatever he wants if hes really wanting to extend plays. He will find a playmaker whos hot that moment and extend drives.

It comes down to simply extending drives on offense ...we dont really have to be explosive all the time. 

Extending drives will help build offense chemistry / confidence and wear out opponents defense eventually.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...