Is he still Matty Ice?

tl;dr

Matty Ice was Matty Ice because he was always at his best in the 4th quarter when he was needed the most. I think we all remember the 08 Bears game, the 12 Panthers game, and many more, but when was the last time he came up big in the 4th? This year our 2 losses have come because the offense could not get it done in the 4th. Here some stats on MR2 in the 4th this year:

27/47 (57.4%) 389 yards, 3 TD's, 3 INT's, 79.1 QB Rating

Not very good right? The numbers and the eye test say it. Ryan just isn't as good in the 4th as we thought. I think everyone remembers the Super Bowl and how the offense failed to do anything in the 4th (some of that is on play calling), but all of it is not on play calling. 

I still like Matt Ryan and think he is our franchise QB, but he isn't nearly as good in the 4th as he was in 2016, 2012, or 2008-2010. And even then last year we were up big in most of our wins so he didn't really have to do much in the 4th. The Carolina game was fun, but the only game winning drives/4th quarter comebacks were against Oakland and Green Bay. This year he has 1 GWD and that came in Detroit, where he still wasn't all that sharp. 

Please let Ryan get better, but he is not the same guy he once was in the 4th. 

8 minutes ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

I feel you. If only he could make his WRs catch it every time he put it in their hands.

No doubt that it is not all on him. His skill players have not helped much at all. I still feel he could be doing a little better though. I want that Matty Ice who got the ball down 4 with 2 to go and you just knew it was over. 

3 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think Matt Ryan will TORCH that Patriots D.

And Brady will probably torch our D as well.

I don't see any reason to believe either of these. . . . . .

I never liked the Matty Ice moniker, BUT I know what it means. I still believe Matty Ice is there. He is down in him somewhere wanting to unleash. Perhaps its the chemistry that has to be formed over time with the new OC. . . I don't know.

Is he? What? If not for MVP2 we would probably have a losing record 80% of the time he has been here. You do realize he lead the league in 4th qtr comebacks for years until recently which btw isn’t a good thing. It’s indicative of somebody else not doing what they should to help keep leads when they should. Not trying to flame, but come on how many rabbits is a guy supposed to have in his hat b4 he is questioned?

Having to save everyone’s tail for 8 years will wear on anyone bruh. Will someone ANYONE else roundhouse itchslap somebody til we stop blowing leads? 

Let me know when THAT happens and we’ll revisit this post.

Edited by The Vent King

8 minutes ago, The Vent King said:

Is he? What? If not for MVP2 we would probably have a losing record 80% of the time he has been here. You do realize he lead the league in 4th qtr comebacks for years until recently which btw isn’t a good thing. It’s indicative of somebody else not doing what they should to help keep leads when they should. Not trying to flame, but come on how many rabbits is a guy supposed to have in his hat b4 he is questioned?

Having to save everyone’s tail for 8 years will wear on anyone bruh. Will someone ANYONE else roundhouse itchslap somebody til we stop blowing leads? 

Let me know when THAT happens and we’ll revisit this post.

I'll have my flame suit on for the moment he proves me wrong. I love Ryan, don't get me wrong. He has been AWESOME and he had an insane season last year. I'm just seeing a trend where he is on fire through 3 quarters and then doesn't do quite as well in the 4th. Please please please bump this if I'm wrong though!!

4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I'll have my flame suit on for the moment he proves me wrong. I love Ryan, don't get me wrong. He has been AWESOME and he had an insane season last year. I'm just seeing a trend where he is on fire through 3 quarters and then doesn't do quite as well in the 4th. Please please please bump this if I'm wrong though!!

How long is he supposed to do this is what I’m asking can he be human and wonder why do I have to and just be losing hope after years and years of doing it without someone saying he STILL gotta prove he can? Give me a break, he’s done it enough without having to prove that to anyone

Edited by The Vent King

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I mean, just last year he had one of the best seasons ever for a quarterback.  He is the same. We are just working out the kinks.

Hope you are right. Was half expecting to come on here and see "OMG YOU IDIOT HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT RYAN." I'm a huge Ryan fan and I think he still has the ice in his veins. Just think he has to find it again. 

Just now, tl;dr said:

Hope you are right. Was half expecting to come on here and see "OMG YOU IDIOT HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT RYAN." I'm a huge Ryan fan and I think he still has the ice in his veins. Just think he has to find it again. 

No I do not agree with that. The rest of the team needs to find it. You can’t keep crying wolf and hoping Ryan save your arse your whole life. It’s not just on him to save the day.

1 minute ago, The Vent King said:

No I do not agree with that. The rest of the team needs to find it. You can’t keep crying wolf and hoping Ryan save your arse your whole life. It’s not just on him to save the day.

No it's not, but when a player can do better than he is doing, we all want to see that. Why shouldn't we want Ryan to lead game winning drives like he once did? Yeah the rest of the team can step up, but there isn't anything wrong with Ryan playing better than he currently is. 

6 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

When "The Mattural" came onto the scene we were a physical offense with a run first identity.  It was Michael Turner and Roddy White's team on offense.  This allowed Ryan to ease into his role.  When Ryan threw it was mostly out of play action and he thrived.  But being a run fist offense whose objective was to limit turnovers and win TOP ended up keeping games close.  This put Ryan into lots of situations where we needed  3 or 7 to win the game.  If I am being honest, Ryan has never been great at getting a late td (yes, I remember his throw to Sanu last year) but when it comes to 3, he is magic.  The Super Bowl was no exception....he had us in easy fg range to essentially seal the win.  Same goes for last week.  He drove us into fg range for a tie.  But we went for the win...he made a very accurate throw into a very tight window and the rest is history.   Ryan is still an elite quarterback.  One of the 5 or 6 best on the planet.  Is he perfect?  Nope....but I'm happier than a pig in shyte to have him.

I'm not sure I really understand the question.

Yes, it's the same Matt Ryan who's marched us down the field in the clutch. Yes, he's also the same guy who sometimes makes questionable decisions and throws. We've seen more of the latter this year, and he doesn't seem to have been in his comfort zone nearly as much.

But is he a different guy? I don't even know how to answer that. Are you a different guy when you make mistakes or have a tough stretch at work? 

Being a quarterback in the NFL isn't easy, but we know by now that we have one who will work his butt off to try to get better and overcome struggles.

A new offensive coordinator, where have I seen this before? Lmao, I swear this board gets worse every day. Play calling and execution is inconsistent, a **** mirror image of Shanahans first year.

I trust my head coach creating MVP QB. Why are you trying to blame Ryan, who took the Falcons to one of only 2 super bowls, who has had zero OC stability because he elevates them to the next level and is the Falcons sole MVP since ever. Bet you wouldn't have said any of this in the second quarter of the Super Bowl. Such short memories. The offense has been anemic, but not because of Matt Ryan.