Welcome back zone defense

mc

We played alot more zone against the dolphins last week. I don't think Quin respected Cutler enough to read and hit his are. Zone makes int easier. Very little bump and run like we did Green bay. Same crap we did early last year before going to man mainly.

Edited by mc

31 minutes ago, mc said:

We played alot more zone against the dolphins last week. I don't think Quin respected Cutler enough to read and hit his are. Zone makes int easier. Very little bump and run like we did Green bay. Same crap we did early last year before going to man mainly.

29 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Pass defense wasn't really the problem, though, against Miami.  It was the 138 yards on the ground they gave up that hurt.

Exactly, and Cover-3 zone is "supposed" to be stronger stopping the run than Cover-1 man because everyone but the CBs are looking in the backfield at the snap of the ball. Which is probably why we played more Cover 3 after we were already having trouble versus the run.

54 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

And you're going to give up 3rd downs not matter what defense you're playing when you constantly let the back fall forward for an extra 2-3 yards a pop.  That winds up being the difference between 3rd and 7 and 3rd and 4.  

It seems like we constantly go for the strip vs. the tackle. I wish we'd put them on the ground instead of running 4-7 yards with them punching the ball

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Pass defense wasn't really the problem, though, against Miami.  It was the 138 yards on the ground they gave up that hurt.

We are simply getting punched in the mouth. Teams are playing keep-away against us, and realize our o-line is overrated. The recipe to shut us down in the second half is simple. We are down Matthews, Schweitzer, and Shraeder. And punch the falcons in the mouth with the run game since we can't stop it.

55 minutes ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

It seems like we constantly go for the strip vs. the tackle. I wish we'd put them on the ground instead of running 4-7 yards with them punching the ball

That's another thing I noticed that really bothered me.  They talked all bye week about focusing on generating turnovers.  You could see that going for the strip was part of that and it sure bit 'em in the butt

8 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

Yeah, that rugby tackle method they are teaching doesn't seem to stop a runner's momentum as well as the old fashioned way.  It looks like they just grab and hang on while the runner drags a couple of defenders for 3 or 4 yards. 

The rugby method is actually ideal because it's all about leverage and angles.  That part wasn't the problem.  The problem was them constantly going for the strip instead of focusing on getting the runner on the ground.

That's another one I put on the coaching.

22 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The rugby method is actually ideal because it's all about leverage and angles.  That part wasn't the problem.  The problem was them constantly going for the strip instead of focusing on getting the runner on the ground.

Guy 1 - Get the tackle

Help guys - get the ball

Shouldnt really be that difficult. 

39 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

Yeah, that rugby tackle method they are teaching doesn't seem to stop a runner's momentum as well as the old fashioned way.  It looks like they just grab and hang on while the runner drags a couple of defenders for 3 or 4 yards. 

This is what happens when most offensive players are bigger than your linebackers, ends and DBs.

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Quinn has repeatedly said the first defense to the ball must make a good form tackle  so that the other swarming defenders can then go for the strip. But the first one to the ball has to make a good tackle. 

Edited by Falconsin2012