Dan Quinn: Falcons need to get Julio Jones more touches

fuego

Deja Vu all over again. How many times are we gonna hear this broken record before it actually happens? 

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- A reporter asked Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn on Monday if he is satisfied with how much All-Pro wide receiver Julio Jones is getting the ball.

"No, and the reason I say that is that he's such a factor," Quinn said. "We've got to get more possessions, more time, more plays. And I think that's more a byproduct of getting Julio the ball more. It's not where he needs the ball more. We need more plays so he can get the ball more."

Quinn's reference had a lot to do with Sunday's 20-17 loss to the Miami Dolphins, a game in which the Falcons ran 56 offensive plays compared to 64 for the Dolphins. Atlanta ran just 23 plays in the second half.

The Falcons averaged 62.5 plays per game through the first four games.

"It's not example of we're comfortable with playing plays in the 50s," Quinn said. "We need more plays and better stops to create more opportunities to make plays."

Jones leads the Falcons with 25 catches for 367 yards but has no touchdowns through five games. He has 38 targets, which is tied for 32nd among all players, tight ends and running backs included. Pittsburgh's Antonio Brown leads the league with 72 targets.

Falcons offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian said before the season that he would try to find more ways to get Jones the ball in the red zone. However, Jones has just one target and no catches on 11 routes run in the red zone this season.

In the loss to the Dolphins, Jones caught six passes for 72 yards on seven targets. Tight end Austin Hooper led the team with seven catches (48 yards) on nine targets. Jones played 45 of 57 offensive snaps -- by design -- coming off a hip flexor injury suffered in a Week 4 loss to Buffalo.

Asked if he thought Jones had full explosion back coming off the injury, Quinn said, "I did. ... I thought his aggression, his style, was really on display (Sunday). And I thought it was a vintage game for him in terms of the aggressiveness that he goes to catch it. So, it was a great to have him back."

Jones, however, was not targeted on the final seven plays of the Falcons' final drive, which ended with Matt Ryan being picked off by Dolphins safety Reshad Jones on a pass intended to Hooper and tipped into Jones' hands by teammate Cordrea Tankersley. It was a play Quinn said Hooper should have attacked more aggressively.

Quinn emphasized that Jones is the primary go-to guy in such late-game scenarios, despite Sunday's end result.

"He's our guy," Quinn said of Jones. "He's 100 percent our guy. But wherever the coverage takes you, there's time where, 'No, you can't do that.' They're going to say, 'He's not going to beat us on this play.' And so then, that might not be the time to do it.

"But there's times that it is, even if he's got two (defenders) on him. On that particular one, it wasn't. That's certainly wouldn't be what I would want to discuss with you today to say, 'Every time we have a got-to-have-it moment, we're going to throw it to Julio Jones.'"

Jones and the Falcons have a Super Bowl rematch at New England on Sunday night. He had four catches for 87 yards and no touchdowns on four targets in the 34-28 overtime Super Bowl LI loss to the Patriots.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/29571/dan-quinn-falcons-need-to-run-more-offensive-plays-to-get-julio-jones-more-touches

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't believe Sark is ready for this stage.

I'm sure with a few years under his belt he might get it but for now I think we are wasting this roster talent.

I've heard people say he was given the keys to a Ferrari.

It's true. The best offensive roster this Falcons team has ever had, for sure.

The problem is he doesn't know how to drive a Ferrari.

It seems to me he still calls plays like this is a college team. It's not his fault, he just doesn't understand what kind of racing machine he is driving.

Edited by WornOutFalconFan

My personal feeling is the Falcons are wasting a potential HOF receiver by being

1. Too timid in targeting JJ

2. Too concerned with avoiding an interception by throwing to JJ, hejj it’s happening anyway, so why not

Man, we feasted off JJ for years, helped him build his rep, now the Falcons are draining his blood as a sacrifice for the vampires to feed others....ummm hummmm!

JJ can hunt, get him the gawd dang ball!! 

Matt Ryan and those long balls that no body can catch. 50 yards down field and 6 yards out of bounds. WTF is that about. If you gonna throw the ball out of bounds you don’t have to sling it 70 yards down field.  Sheesh 

1 hour ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

1st season under Shanahan: we throw to Julio too much. Gotta spread it around. 

1st season under Sark: throw the dang ball to Julio!

When we're lose, everything is "the problem", all the way up to that guy who pulls the net for field goals that posts on here sometimes.

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone has blamed him yet.  Screw that guy! :angry:

25 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

When we're lose, everything is "the problem", all the way up to that guy who pulls the net for field goals that posts on here sometimes.

Oh yeah, I don't think anyone has blamed him yet.  Screw that guy! :angry:

It's the curse of Boone Stutz

i seriously think we have a new curse when it comes to field goals. The curse of Rashede Hagemann 

4 minutes ago, Jerz said:

I can see it now Matt staring Julio down forcing the ball to him when someone else is open resulting in a sack or tip.

There's a middle ground but it's Julio ******* Jones.....he gets targets no matter what. 

You don't want the best player on the team getting more touches?

Just now, Jpowers said:

There's a middle ground but it's Julio ******* Jones.....he gets targets no matter what. 

You don't want the best player on the team getting more touches?

No I do, but I dont want it to be as forced or for Ryan to feel pressured to just throw it to Julio in desperation. 

1 hour ago, HEIST said:

Julio has one redzone target.

In fairness, we're 6th in the NFL in red zone scoring %. Last year we finished eighth. The larger issue to me is that we're not getting to the red zone all that often -- I think we were in the red zone once on Sunday. Targeting Julio more could probably help us get to the red zone more frequently. 

Edited by Expert Poster

17 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

In fairness, we're 6th in the NFL in red zone scoring %. The larger issue to me is that we're not getting to the red zone all that often -- I think we were in the red zone once on Sunday. Targeting Julio more could probably help us get to the red zone more frequently. 

Prior to this week, we were #1 in yards per drive, #4 in points per drive.  Yesterday obviously was not on par with that, but we have certainly been moving the ball down the field compared to the rest of the league in the other games.

Honestly, turnover margin is probably the biggest issue so far.  We're 27th in the league at -4.

2 hours ago, vel said:

I think we have had this article every season since Julio has been here. I wonder how many times the media has to say this about AB or OBJ? 

Well other elite WR's seem to have no problems routinely ending up with 1-2 TD's and 70-150 yards receiving.  Big Ben seems to have no trouble throwing to Brown despite other defenses knowing he's elite.  AJ Green same thing.  Why is it that we have only had ONE OC for ONE season that knew how to get Julio the EFFING BALL without throwing a pick EVERY OTHER PLAY.  I don't get it

Edited by atlndvd

6 hours ago, atlndvd said:

Well other elite WR's seem to have no problems routinely ending up with 1-2 TD's and 70-150 yards receiving.  Big Ben seems to have no trouble throwing to Brown despite other defenses knowing he's elite.  AJ Green same thing.  Why is it that we have only had ONE OC for ONE season that knew how to get Julio the EFFING BALL without throwing a pick EVERY OTHER PLAY.  I don't get it

Its not just the OCs to blame.  Someone is throwing those balls.  Jameis Winston has no problem finding Mike Evans including in the end zone.  Kyle Shanahan was the only one that pushed Ryan out of his comfort zone to work on those throws he doesn't make frequently (fade, back shoulder, hitting Julio on go routes, etc.). All that has disappeared this year.  It's strange he never had much problem targeting Roddy with different throws that allowed Roddy to make a play on the ball including 50/50 balls in the end zone but seems to always forget to use Julio the same way.  I'm confused. 

Edited by ShadyRef