Jump to content

Matt Ryan on 680 the fan


middlegatv
 Share

Recommended Posts

First off , Finn was not happy with the decision to throw to Hooper on the play, saying the safety was free to come over on the play, and Julio should've been open underneath. Also asked if the ball is going to be forced into coverage like that, then why not (at other times) to Julio instead of someone like Hooper?

Then, when Matt comes on, he says it was a "bang-bang" play. Wut? You can't throw the ball into a "bang-bang" situation where something could AND DID go wrong. Did we not learn from the Superbowl to protect the FG chance? Going for the win is fine but you've got to protect the tying FG chance with smart plays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look at that play again...Hooper didn't stem the route off. There was no head fake from Hooper...he just ran straight and then turned left; giving away the route and letting the defender make a good jump on the route. Hooper needs a quick jab step and/or head fake at the top of that route and then turn back to catch the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Hooper had actually caught the ball, but the defender knocked it out and the other defender caught it. If Hooper had actually held on to the ball, the it would be all good.

 

Most important, we NEVER should have been in that situation from the beginning.

Hooper let the ball into his body allowing the defender to knock it away. A strong hands catch could have could have prevented the defender from knocking it away.  He should have attacked the ball. The pass was on the money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Hooper also let the ball into his body. A strong hands catch could have could have prevented the defender from knocking it away.  He should have attacked the ball.

Youre right; he could have comeback a little harder for that ball with the two defenders bearing down on like that. Hoop is still having some of the same problems he did last year with his route running. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, quickzero said:

Youre right; he could have comeback a little harder for that ball with the two defenders bearing down on like that. Hoop is still having some of the same problems he did last year with his route running. 

That's the game within the game. That's also a drawback from having so many young players in key positions. They are in so many different situations for the first time and sometimes its critical moments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

If we are going to force the ball it better be to Julio.

I've never understood why Ryan doesn't have the same relationship with Julio he had with Roddy. Remember during the days when all we had on offense were Roddy and Turner. It didn't matter if the guy was running stride for stride with Roddy on a go route or post pattern. Ryan gave Roddy good playable balls to make the contested catches. The safety was usually shaded over to that side but it never stopped him from going to Roddy.  This also applied to the red zone as well.  So be we habe had Julio,  he and Ryan don't have that same chemistry.  For Julio being faster, quicker, and more athletic than Roddy, he doesn't get those same throes on go routes and one on one red zone targets.  All we keep saying is "They are double teaming Julio, so Ryan had to go elsewhere".  I don't understand this logic.  Where are the back shoulder throws he used to throw to Roddy and other difficult ones he used to make now that ours Julio show? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

That's the game within the game. That's also a drawback from having so many young players in key positions. They are in so many different situations for the first time and sometimes its critical moments.

Yea, the trick is those guys learn from those mistakes. I think we can. Our coaches aren't as bad as they are looking right now in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When Hooper touched the ball, Tankersley already had his hand on the ball as well:

3T4646Y.jpg

Tankersley then pulls Hooper's left arm down and #20 gets the INT:

7TNaiOs.jpg

 

If it was 4th down and you're down 4 or more (FG doesn't do you any good) then I can understand the throw but it was first down with plenty of time on the clock with 2 timeouts. Protect the FG at least.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, middlegatv said:

First off , Finn was not happy with the decision to throw to Hooper on the play, saying the safety was free to come over on the play, and Julio should've been open underneath. Also asked if the ball is going to be forced into coverage like that, then why not (at other times) to Julio instead of someone like Hooper?

Then, when Matt comes on, he says it was a "bang-bang" play. Wut? You can't throw the ball into a "bang-bang" situation where something could AND DID go wrong. Did we not learn from the Superbowl to protect the FG chance? Going for the win is fine but you've got to protect the tying FG chance with smart plays.

hes very weak in Math. 

He doesnt understand how ratios/probability works.

I was thinking same thing not am ideal scenario to throw in tight spot when you can make easy check down completion in zone coverage to someone else.

I am not all upset about play calling aa well.

Lack of execution and discipline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

That's the game within the game. That's also a drawback from having so many young players in key positions. They are in so many different situations for the first time and sometimes its critical moments.

Julio was open on check down....just saying.

Matt Ryan is poor on math...goes for ratios conversion with low probability of success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...