Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kayoh

My 2nd half notes from the MIA loss. The breakdown of our breakdown.

16 posts in this topic

I'm watching the second half because we had such a successful first half that it doesn't really feel like as much can be learned from it. So here goes, starting with the first Miami snap of the second half.

• First down and they run for 3. Not a big deal, you'd like to see the ILBs (Jones & Riley in this case) attack the line a little more aggressively but I get it. Brooks Reed got blocked by a TE. Poe got pushed back a yard by their RT, JaWuan James. I'm not sure who was meant to play contain on this play (Reed or Neal) but whoever wasn't responsible for contain should have pressed harder to the inside and probably could have made a tackle for a 0 or 1 yard gain. This ended up being a C gap run and we didn't really have anybody covering that gap so the fact that we stopped it for only 3 yards is kinda a plus for the D on 1st and 10.
  • 2nd and 7 and Debo looks like he can't diagnose the play. He takes too long to shift his weight and start running to the TE where the ball is very obviously going. Easy completion for MIA.
  • Trufant released to the outside on 3rd and 2, Stills beat him inside. I don't know what these guys are taught but you can't get beat inside on 3rd and short. We get on the cases of college CBs for this. WTF are you doing Tru?
  • 1st and 10 after the conversion and they're picking on Debo again. He's too slow to react to the incoming pass and it's a completion. Debo does something I hate seeing college prospects do...rather than defending the pass, he lets the guy catch it and then hopes that his tackle will knock the ball loose. That's got a low success rate, you can't rely on it. Debo needs to incoming passes way quicker.
  • 2nd and 1 feels like the D was playing safe. "Sure they can have the first down, just as long as they don't beat us through the air". Their RG and C double team Dontari but they don't even push him more than a yard off the ball. This should have freed someone up to make a play but Grady and Clayborn both got blocked down (they were slanting) and Neal tried to tackle Ajayi but just kinda slipped off of him and ended up pulling him down by his feet. Campbell was veeeeery slow to react here and if he'd recognized the play sooner and attacked the POA he would have been able to prevent the conversion.
  • 1st and 10 incomplete pass to Julius Thomas, good coverage by Neal, no complaints here.
  • so this went uncalled but #65 Steen for the Dolphins was literally pulling Deion Jones away from Ajayi, preventing him from stopping Ajayi's forward momentum. You can literally see it here on the left, just pulling him away from Ajayi. If Debo doesn't get held here it's a 3, maybe 4 yard gain, and we force a 3rd and medium-long. As it is, Ajayi just kinda dragged Vellano (who did a great job of getting off a block to initiate a tackle, albeit from an awkward angle) for a few more yards to make it 3rd and 4.
  • 3rd and 4 and Miami throws a simple swing pass out to Damien Williams. Deion Jones is chasing him down and this is what it looks like at one point. Deion Jones is a fast man but where are all the red jerseys? Oh, I found them. They're all over here. 3 guys trying to cover 2 receivers man to man? Somebody messed up. It's either Trufant or Alford, since they're both trying to cover Landry. Poole is on Stills and recognizes the pass to the RB before Tru and Alf. Tru recognizes it next but Alf is in his way. When Alf finally realizes that the ball's been thrown to Williams it's too late, Debo is out on an island with a 4.45 speed RB and a less-than-ideal angle. It's over. Rico prevented a TD here, but only after Williams picked up a first down.
  • 1st and 10 and Duke loses contain, bad. He's not even trying to contain, he's pressing the POA like he's chasing down a run to the opposite side from behind. Ajayi does what Ajayi does and bounces it outside, then cuts back inside (thanks to Tru actually playing contain, good on you Tru) where it's him and a TE vs. Tru, Neal, and Debo, and gains 3 yards.
  • 2nd and 7 and Duke misses a clean 1v1 tackle to a spin move from Ajayi. Should have been a gain of 0 or 1 yard, ended up being a gain of 3 thanks ENTIRELY to Ricardo Allen stopping Ajayi in his tracks after Duke & Vic slowed him down.
  • 3rd and 4 makes me wonder if our LBs are as athletic as they're billed as. Like yeah they all run sub 4.6 but Campbell was supposed to be covering Ajayi in man here and he just can't get to the sideline fast enough to do so. Keanu Neal, who had to jam a WR on this same play, ends up making the tackle to stop then short of a first down, but how in the world was Campbell supposed to stop this? He's faking an A gap blitz and is supposed to chase down Ajayi who has a head start on him and is just as fast. Neal recognizes the play very quickly but due to jamming a WR he's not in position to make a tackle for loss or no gain. I don't really know what could have been done differently here unless you knew the play and could predict the ball was going to Ajayi.
  •  4th and 1 and another pass to a RB. I'm starting to feel like man defense should be reserved for our outside corners because it seems like none of our inside guys, whether it's the LBs, the safeties or even the slot corner (Poole in this case), have the kind of hip and ankle flexibility you need to be a great man coverage defender. Poole is jogging with an in-motion Jarvis Landry when the ball is snapped and Williams leaks out of the backfield. Poole has to cover him (trade off - Landry now covered by Deion Jones) but the time it takes for him to shift his weight from one direction to the other is all it takes for Williams to catch an easy pass from Cutler for a couple yards and a first down. Again, Ricardo Allen recognizes the play almost instantly and gets there for the tackle, but not until after a 2 yard gain and a first down. It's ironic because we're supposed to be this SPARQ-centric team now that Quinn and the Seattle philosophy have come to Atlanta but the only real SPARQ stars on our defense are Grady, the outside CBs (Tru/Alf), and Vic, with everyone else just kind of being fast in a straight line.
  • 1st and 10 and great plays by Reed, Neal, Alford, Debo, and Allen get us a TFL for -3 on Ajayi. Great D.
  • 2nd and 13, pass was tipped at the LOS and should have been picked by Beasley but incomplete. Honestly, did Trufant forget how to play football? He gave Carroo 7-8 yards of cushion and was easily taken out of the play by a Jarvis Landry pick that he should have seen coming from miles away. This play is absolutely textbook, not being prepared for it is such a silly rookie mistake. Like, yeah, the result of the play was incomplete pass, but if Poole doesn't tip this, Carroo catches it for what most likely ends up being a TD, if not a solid 7+ yard gain.
  • 3rd and 12 and Clayborn, Jarrett, and Beasley all jump early. This was initiated by the center moving his head, which Clayborn reacted to, and then the other two guys reacted to Clayborn.
  • 3rd and 7 with what is basically our NASCAR package on the field - Beasley, Jarrett, Clayborn, McKinley. Nice job getting edge pressure but with no inside presence Cutler steps up and delivers a strike to Stills. Deion Jones had a shot at breaking up this pass but was a step slow it seems.
  • Can I show you guys something? Look at this. That's 8 man protection with 2 receivers out on a route, and a 5 man rush. Matt gets sacked on this play in ~4-5 seconds. Shockingly, neither of the two guys who were running routes against 7 coverage defenders were able to get open, and basically 4 of the 5 pass rushers got their hands on Matt by the time he finally went down. This is a systemic failure on part of the entire offense regardless of play design. You've got 8 blockers on 5 pass rushers. Matt should have been able to pull out his cell phone, get on craigslist, order a LA-Z-BOY, have it delivered, sit in it, take a 30 minute nap, and then woke up, had his morning coffee and breakfast all over again, and then run the ball for a 6 yard gain. Guys, Jordan Phillips is 325 pounds and he beat looped around from one A gap to the opposite C gap while Alex Mack, Andy Levitre, and Jake Matthews were all trying to block Ndamukong Suh, who ended up getting the sack. Wes Schweitzer couldn't block a Cameron Wake bull rush. Ryan Schraeder tried to block the blitzing DB #20 but Devonta picked him up and Schraeder just kinda didn't have anyone to block. Our two TEs blocked Andre Branch for about 3 seconds before he bulled through Austin Hooper and Toilolo whiffed on the recovery. Why was Devonta not running a route? He would have been wide open and easily caught a pass for an easy 5+ yard gain here if he was and Schraeder was blocking the blitzing DB anyway so Devonta wasn't really doing anything useful. I don't get this.
  • Next play, 2nd and 15, and this looks like it might be a stretch play to the right, but I have no clue who was supposed to block whom because everybody just ran past Jordan Phillips. Schraeder and Shweitzer got no movement on Wake or Suh, respectively, which makes sense, but then Devonta tries to cut back and literally nobody blocked Jordan Phillips. It seems like Levitre blocked him for a second and then tried to pass him off to Jake and Jake was just like "nah" and just kept running.
  • 3rd and 13, 2 man rush with a QB spy, every eligible receiver out on a route, and Matt settles for a 10 yard dig to Hooper. WAT?!
  • Back to Miami's offense and our defense. First play was a batted pass by Dontari Poe, and it's a good thing too because Deion Jones absolutely can not cover Jarvis Landry's suddenness. Landry was wide open after just running a simple 5 yard hook in the middle of the field in front of Deion's face. Would have been an easy catch for 5 yards.
  • 2nd and 10 and I can't really complain about this play. Everyone played it the way they're supposed to and Campbell stuffed Ajayi for a 2 yard gain.
  • 3rd and 9 because the refs were weirdly generous with the spot in our favor. Anyway, we got nice pressure here and the coverage was good. Allen dropped an INT but it doesn't matter because the refs called DPI on him. I don't see it since he was playing the ball but whatever, zebras gonna zebra.
  • 1st and 10 and a well played run D snap.
  • 2nd and 9, beautiful INT by Deion Jones (his 2nd of the game iirc), called back due to Jarrett's roughing the passer.
  • 1st and 10 and again, Brooks Reed is really good at getting to the ball carrier, but terrible at bringing him down. Should have stopped Ajayi for no gain, but Ajayi kept his legs churning for a quick 4 yards. I guess Reed just isn't a strong guy because he's getting dragged around way too much, maybe Takk would be a better option at that DE spot in base.
  • 2nd and 6 WTF ARE TRUFANT AND ALFORD DOING? Alford stays outside to cover Stills but Trufant starts jogging with Landry in motion and by the time he realizes it's a play action pass Landry looks like THIS with literally no red jerseys around him. Alford is covering Stills and Trufant is in the middle of the field looking like he doesn't know WTF he's doing, chasing after Landry from a good 15 yards away with no angle whatsoever. The easiest TD Miami is ever going to score. I don't know what should have happened here. Either Trufant has to pay more attention and realize that Landry turned right around and ran back out when the ball was snapped OR Alford needs to be covering Landry here and Trufant should have picked up Stills. I don't know what's going on with these guys but they seriously need to get their acts together.
  • Back on offense, nobody blocked Cameron Wake so he got pressure basically immediately. This seems like it was designed to go a little deeper but the instant pressure meant Ryan had to check it down to Hooper, and since it was off play action the LBs were already close to the LoS, so not much YAC to be had. Gain of 1 yard.
  • 2nd and 9, toss to Tevin Coleman, great blocks by Hooper, Schweitzer, and Matthews, gain of 20. 
  • 1st and 10 and Davon Godchaux somehow draws a double team, preventing Levitre from getting to the 2nd level and allowing a clean LB to tackle Tevin for a 2 yard gain.
  • 2nd and 8, beautiful screen to Julio, well blocked, gain of 18.
  • 1st and 10, Andre Branch beat Jake Matthews like a drum. No other blocker lost their matchup but Branch beat Jake and Jake held Branch so -10 yards and retry 1st down.
  • 1st and 20, run up the gut with Devonta, I hate it when teams do this. Jordan Phillips beats Alex Mack pretty handily 1 on 1 and this slows Devonta down enough that Bobby McCain and Andre Branch are able to make the tackle for no gain.
  • 2nd and 20, nobody blocks Cam Wake so he gets an easy sack. Shweitzer and Schraeder double team Suh and Hooper runs a route.
  • 3rd and 24, near instant edge pressure from both Wake and Branch, Matt has to get rid of it early, complete to Hooper but who cares because it's for 5 yards on 3rd and 24.
  • 4th and 19, bad snap, disaster.
  • Back on defense, 1st and 10, and yet again Brooks Reed is in position but can't make the tackle. Meanwhile Keanu Neal gets blocked easily by Jarvis Landry.
  • 2nd and 6, great pressure from Grady on the inside, but our LBs absolutely can not cover Jay Ajayi. Ajayi is wiiiiiiiiiide open at the first down marker but Ajayi underthrows him. Would have been an easy 7+ yards.
  • 3rd and 6 and Takk gets nice blind side pressure on Cutler but he gets rid of it before Takk can finish the job. Complete to Grant for 4 yards. Allen had to work through a pick but I'm pretty sure this route was his responsibility. 
  • 4th and 2 and Debo jumps an underneath route, allowing Landry to run open behind him. Worth noting, Campbell was in position to defend the underneath route that Debo jumped, so maybe a miscommunication here?
  • 1st and 10, play action pass to Landry, overthrown and Landry was covered well by Trufant. Seems to me Trufant is at his best in press man, idk.
  • 2nd and 10 Poe tries arm tackling Ajayi to little to no avail. Duke & Debo finish the job 3 yards past he LoS and Ajayi falls forward for a gain of 4.
  • 3rd and 7, instant pressure from an unblocked Campbell, Cutler can't do anything with the ball, 4th down, FG.
  • 1st and 10, stretch left, our OL can't move their DL and their LBs recognize the run immediately. Mack does a great job on Godchaux but Schraeder loses bad to Suh and Shweitzer doesn't really manage to block anyone even though he was going for Timmons. Gain of 2 almost exclusively thanks to Alex Mack.
  • 2nd and 8, toss right to Coleman, unbalanced line with Matthews lining up to the outside of Schraeder on the right side of the line. Julio misses a crack back on William Hayes and it's over, -8 yards.
  • 3rd and 16 and both of our tackles lost badly to their edge rushers - Schraeder to Wake, Matthews to Harris. Branch, rushing from the inside, gets a hand on Matt as he's letting the pass go. The ball ends up out of bounds in the general vicinity of a wide open Taylor Gabriel.
  • Back on defense, Alford gets beat inside (outside release...same mistake Tru made on the first 3rd down of the game...) by Landry but thankfully Landry drops the pass. Ishmael did a good job of recognizing where the pass was going but he still didn't get there in time to break it up, Landry had to drop it for the ball to be incomplete.
  • 2nd and 10, extremely obvious run to the left (stacked line and everything) and boy does everybody play this poorly. Vellano gets blocked out of the play. We've got 3 guys trying to play contain - Alford, Reed, and Riley. Poe does a good job of forcing this inside but there's just nobody there to make a tackle. Duke Riley is between Poe and Reed out of the play completely. Debo walled off by their RG. Vellano walled off by Bushrod. Really questionable defensive alignment here, though, I gotta say. They've got 4 blockers to the left of the center and we've got 2 DL, a LB and a CB over there with Debo in the middle of the field and Vellano on the center's opposite shoulder. Definitely feel like we would have benefited from just shifting everyone over a gap and Duke backing off the LoS. Whatever, bad play, everyone was blocked, Ajayi didn't get touched til he had already gained 7 yards, ended up being a 20 yard gain because tackling woes.
  • 1st and 10, exact same situation only flipped. Vellano and Reed matched up with the RG, RT, and two TEs, plus Riley and Neal in the area for backup. Poe on the center's opposite shoulder. Poe and Riley both had a shot but arm tackles didn't work. Vellano is terrible. Just got completely stonewalled by Bushrod. 18 yard gain.
  • 1st and 10, great play by Poe and Vic, good enough follow up by Neal to get Williams down. Gain of 2.
  • 2nd and 8, EXCELLENT play by Takk, instant penetration, TFL. Great job, rook.
  • 3rd and 9, Allen and Debo could have both had a shot at Landry but Allen gave up too much cushion and couldn't deal with the pick, and Debo didn't recognize it soon enough. Poe kinda screwed up here tackling Landry towards the first down marker when everyone else was tackling him from behind it to try to prevent him from getting to it...oops.
  • 1st and 10, great run D. Stuffed.
  • 2nd and 10, same deal.
  • 3rd and 11, great play by Campbell. FG time.
  • Back on offense, 1st and 10. Nice pass to Gabriel to start things off.
  • 1st and 10 again, deep corner to Julio, complete, ezpz.
  • 1st and 10 again, screen to Freeman, dropped. even if he caught this it gets blown up by Timmons. I think Levitre was meant to block him but Timmons diagnosed the play too quickly for him to have gotten there.
  • 2nd and 10, great route recognition by Alonso, he jumped the inside route on the pick combo which allowed Howard to potentially cover Hardy if the inside route wasn't thrown. Why can't our defense play like this? This was the play where Gabriel dropped the pass (it was almost intercepted by Timmons) and Alonso carried him 20 yards to avoid an unnecessary roughness penalty.
  • 3rd and 10, solid protection for the most part, strike to Hardy for 22.
  • 1st and 10, Schraeder got beat with an inside spin from Wake but it didn't matter because Matt got rid of it before the pressure got there. 7 yard completion to Hardy. 
  • 2nd and 3, 6 man rush, Matt has a pocket and a wide open Gabriel on a deep corner but overthrows him. Oof.
  • 3rd and 3, Hooper dig for a first down. Quick pass, no pressure.
  • 1st and 10, Ryan to Hooper deep, Ryan gives Hooper a chance to make this play but Hooper drops it right into the bread basket of Reshad Jones. Game over.

Debo is likely my second favorite guy on the team after Matt, but he was hot/cold yesterday. He looked slower than normal trying to close on guys. Obviously, I loved both (sorta) picks, but he was frustrating me a bit. 

Duke's playing is concerning me a good bit. 

We need a veteran presence at LB.  I agree with the assessment that Bebo is hot and cold.  There is no veteran leadership on the field to hold him accountable.  Thats why I am begging for a guy like Bowman.   As for Duke Riley....they should put his picture on a milk carton!

Hard to blame Ryan when you are backed up on 3rd down almost every time. I really hope the protections get straightened out. I also agree that we really need to not run on 1st and long unless it's a draw. 

14 hours ago, Falcon Ben said:

Debo is likely my second favorite guy on the team after Matt, but he was hot/cold yesterday. He looked slower than normal trying to close on guys. Obviously, I loved both (sorta) picks, but he was frustrating me a bit. 

Duke's playing is concerning me a good bit. 

Debo did look slow. I found myself asking "why did he get there so late?" a lot yesterday.

Jerz likes this

Really appreciate the breakdown Kayoh! It must've been painful to perform that autopsy on the second half. It seems that we lost the battle of the LOS. It makes me wonder what went so right in the first half? Did the Fish make really great halftime adjustments or did the Falcons' second half execution take a collective, smelly dump (in addition to interception reversing roughing the passer penalties and our inability to snap the ball to the punter)?

19 hours ago, Birdy Dird said:

Holy Cow! Get some sleep man. 

Helllll no, that's freaking great commentary, if it's over your head so be it...

19 hours ago, Kayoh said:

im fine thanks

Ill give to you boss, I'll watch a game like 2-3 times but all i heard is Poole needs to be on the edge and Tru/Alford needs to be on the slot.....really good breakdown.

1 hour ago, GET-ME-A-DB-TD said:

Ill give to you boss, I'll watch a game like 2-3 times but all i heard is Poole needs to be on the edge and Tru/Alford needs to be on the slot.....really good breakdown.

idk about that, poole seems to be our best tackler at CB so it makes sense he'd stick at nickel corner

Slappywhite and toadfishtom like this

Great thread, the pass protections and run blocking assignments are killing us in offense. I think a lot of it has to do with Schweizer being new and Matthews being horrible. 

I think Trufant becoming a mediocre player, and Duke Riley are killing us on defense. Also poe has been mediocre. We really miss hageman's presence.

18 hours ago, osiruz said:

Great thread, the pass protections and run blocking assignments are killing us in offense. I think a lot of it has to do with Schweizer being new and Matthews being horrible. 

I think Trufant becoming a mediocre player, and Duke Riley are killing us on defense. Also poe has been mediocre. We really miss hageman's presence.

Poe hasn't been mediocre at all, he's been great. He consistently holds up against double teams, collapses the pocket, and does his job very well, it's just not always helping because of someone else on D messing up or not doing their job properly.

Slappywhite likes this