Jump to content

The Problem is Execution; Stop Blaming Playcalling


Sven
 Share

Recommended Posts

This board is annoying; I'm not sure if that's because most of you are drunk idiots angry about the game or only check the box score. I warned the board weeks ago, when we were 3-0, that no matter why the offense doesn't score points, if they don't score points, it's going to be blamed on Sark. Why? Because as time goes on, people forget that Shannahan had his struggles here, and because people don't know anything about football, or maybe just don't watch the game closely. 

The lack of offense in the second half was due to the offensive line (or execution in general), and our defense. The latter point is self explanatory, the defense started the half by getting drove on for eight minutes. 

This is what actually happened in the game, all you have to do is read the play-by-play. 

Quote

1st and 10 at ATL 17
(6:04 - 3rd) M.Ryan sacked at ATL 12 for -5 yards (N.Suh).
2nd and 15 at ATL 12
(5:26 - 3rd) D.Freeman right guard to ATL 14 for 2 yards (J.Phillips).
3rd and 13 at ATL 14
(4:43 - 3rd) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short middle to A.Hooper to ATL 25 for 11 yards (N.Allen).

Quote

1st and 20 at MIA 43
(13:58 - 4th) (Shotgun) D.Freeman left tackle to MIA 43 for no gain (A.Branch).
2nd and 20 at MIA 43
(13:10 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan sacked at MIA 47 for -4 yards (C.Wake).
3rd and 24 at MIA 47
(12:21 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short left to A.Hooper to MIA 42 for 5 yards (L.Timmons, R.Jones) [C.Wake].

Quote

1st and 10 at ATL 25
(8:28 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Coleman left guard to ATL 27 for 2 yards (W.Hayes).
2nd and 8 at ATL 27
(7:56 - 4th) T.Coleman right end to ATL 19 for -8 yards (W.Hayes).
3rd and 16 at ATL 19
(7:18 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete deep left to T.Gabriel [A.Branch].

Quote

1st and 10 at MIA 26

(0:39 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass deep middle intended for A.Hooper INTERCEPTED by R.Jones

On the first sack, Mack and Levitre let both Suh and the other DT by them on a stunt, even though they doubled Suh. In the second series there was a hold by Matthews that started us off 1st and 20, and then they let Wake run into Matt completely unblocked. Then, on the next drive, on the sweep play that has been NETTING US 20 YPC ALL GAME, Schraeder decides to ignore the man right in front of him, who runs into the backfield instantly for a 8 yard loss. The last play hit Hooper in the hands and would've had us down on the 1 with a minute to play. 

None of this failure has anything to do with playcalling. There was no magic Shanny play that reliably got us out of 3rd and 13, 16, and 24, especially against one of the better defenses in the league. The backseat playcalling that people on this forum do never make sense, especially because it always hinges on nonsensical bullsh*t like "WOW WE DIDN'T GET JULIO THE BALL MORE??? WTF?? FIRE SARK." Look, we didn't "get the ball to Julio" most of the half because the whole team was f*cking itself over. If we replaced the two unsuccessful runs from Freeman with two passes to Julio and they didn't work out, people would be saying "WTF??? WE DIDN'T GET THE BALL TO FREEMAN MORE AFTER THAT AWESOME FIRST HALF?? IS SARK AN IDIOT??" If we replace the Coleman sweep that had just went for 20 yards with a different play, you'd be asking why we "abandoned what was working" or "refused to run the ball at the end of the game again!!!!!!!!!!!." Julio is the #1 read on almost every pass play, and he's the most targeted person on the team. The reason Julio didn't get the ball is the same reason Freeman and Coleman only had 9 carries; in the second half, when we ran the ball, they were met in the backfield, when we dropped back to pass, they sacked us, and when we had the game in our hands, we dropped it into their hands. 

No matter what play is called, you have to run the **** thing. No plays in the half matter other than these, and blaming these series and therefore the game on Sark is ridiculous. 

Football is not as simple as "Offense doesn't score = OC and QB suck." It really, really isn't. There was no difference between the quality of the playcalling in the first half and the second half. We need to stop the penalties and block properly, first and foremost. I understand that there are quite a few people who understand football on this board who are tempering their expectations, and I understand that, but my brain cells are being eviscerated by all of the 60 post idiot masses posting "WOW EVERYTHING WOULD'VE BEEN SOLVED IF SARK JUST, LIKE, DREW UP S'MORE PLAYS FOR JULIO, AM I RIGHT?" No, you're not right. 

EDIT - This also goes for Manuel, per the other thread called "An Interesting Take From Rico." "The coaching staff drew the plays up for us, we knew what was coming, and we just didn't execute" (paraphrase). Yep, that's the story of the game.
https://twitter.com/ZachKleinWSB/status/919692229509304320

Edited by Sven
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sven said:

This board is annoying; I'm not sure if that's because most of you are drunk idiots angry about the game or only check the box score. I warned the board weeks ago, when we were 3-0, that no matter why the offense doesn't score points, if they don't score points, it's going to be blamed on Sark. Why? Because as time goes on, people forget that Shannahan had his struggles here, and because people don't know anything about football, or maybe just don't watch the game closely. 

The lack of offense in the second half was due to the offensive line (or execution in general), and our defense. The latter point is self explanatory, the defense started the half by getting drove on for eight minutes. 

This is what actually happened in the game, all you have to do is read the play-by-play. 

On the first sack, Mack and Levitre let both Suh and the other DT by them on a stunt, even though they doubled Suh. In the second series there was a hold by Matthews that started us off 1st and 20, and then they let Wake run into Matt completely unblocked. Then, on the next drive, on the sweep play that has been NETTING US 20 YPC ALL GAME, Schraeder decides to ignore the man right in front of him, who runs into the backfield instantly for a 8 yard loss. The last play hit Hooper in the hands and would've had us down on the 1 with a minute to play. 

None of this failure has anything to do with playcalling. There was no magic Shanny play that reliably got us out of 3rd and 13, 16, and 24, especially against one of the better defenses in the league. The backseat playcalling that people on this forum do never make sense, especially because it always hinges on nonsensical bullsh*t like "WOW WE DIDN'T GET JULIO THE BALL MORE??? WTF?? FIRE SARK." Look, we didn't "get the ball to Julio" most of the half because the whole team was f*cking itself over. If we replaced the two unsuccessful runs from Freeman with two passes to Julio and they didn't work out, people would be saying "WTF??? WE DIDN'T GET THE BALL TO FREEMAN MORE AFTER THAT AWESOME FIRST HALF?? IS SARK AN IDIOT??" If we replace the Coleman sweep that had just went for 20 yards with a different play, you'd be asking why we "abandoned what was working" or "refused to run the ball at the end of the game again!!!!!!!!!!!." Julio is the #1 read on almost every pass play, and he's the most targeted person on the team. The reason Julio didn't get the ball is the same reason Freeman and Coleman only had 9 carries; in the second half, when we ran the ball, they were met in the backfield, when we dropped back to pass, they sacked us, and when we had the game in our hands, we dropped it into their hands. 

No matter what play is called, you have to run the **** thing. No plays in the half matter other than these, and blaming these series and therefore the game on Sark is ridiculous. 

Football is not as simple as "Offense doesn't score = OC and QB suck." It really, really isn't. There was no difference between the quality of the playcalling in the first half and the second half. We need to stop the penalties and block properly, first and foremost. I understand that there are quite a few people who understand football on this board who are tempering their expectations, and I understand that, but my brain cells are being eviscerated by all of the 60 post idiot masses posting "WOW EVERYTHING WOULD'VE BEEN SOLVED IF SARK JUST, LIKE, DREW UP S'MORE PLAYS FOR JULIO, AM I RIGHT?" No, you're not right. 

This board is annoying; I'm not sure if that's because most of you are drunk idiots

No, its just you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blaming the OC is too easy. Though he did make a few questionable calls on long downs he is not the problem people are making him out to be. No he is not Shanahan but then again he doesn't have the QB Shanahan had last season. We stick to the run people get mad we pass the ball people get mad. There is no winning with any decision Sark makes if we lose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Falcons805 said:

Would the game have turned out different if we involved Julio and Freeman more .....who knows at this point.  It’s an L in the loss column which really hurts 

The question is, what play in these series do you replace and how do they turn out differently and why do they turn out differently? Were they bad playcalls, and that's why they failed? The answer is no, if you watched the game. 

Just now, Knight of God said:

I don't care which one it is. I know I don't believe we have a shot against the Patriots.

That's not what this topic is about, so what use does your post have? I'm not confident against them either, whoop dee doo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sven said:

The question is, what play in these series do you replace and how do they turn out differently and why do they turn out differently? Were they bad playcalls, and that's why they failed? The answer is no, if you watched the game. 

That's not what this topic is about, so what use does your post have? I'm not confident against them either, whoop dee doo. 

No, the topic is trying to make a stand about what the problem is. MY POINT, whether you like it or not, is that it really doesn't matter at this point if it is the plays called, or execution. You guys sit here like you know which one. You dig in your points and you sit on them like one point is better than the other and really its both.

You don't like what I say, so what! Its a real statement. Its both. That's my opinion as you all say. I guess now what I said is irrefutable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Blaming the OC is too easy. Though he did make a few questionable calls on long downs he is not the problem people are making him out to be. No he is not Shanahan but then again he doesn't have the QB Shanahan had last season. We stick to the run people get mad we pass the ball people get mad. There is no winning with any decision Sark makes if we lose.

This is the nucleus of the point in this thread, basically. Every weekend I come to the forum and there's someone saying "This play didn't work, it would've obviously been way better if we did the opposite! I'm sure Shannahan would've done the opposite!" Probably not. 

2 minutes ago, Mescalito said:

This is a really long-winded, condescending thread.

Thanks for noticing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its always execution though - Chuck Smith said basically all of the above on his 5th quarter show they are letting him do on 92.9 - we just arent playing as well as last year, our Def line is getting pushed around just like this time last year, the problem is we are not scoring 34 points a game and the DEF last year would just goes balls out because the offense was a slot machine.  Losing Babs, Crawford, and Hageman is bad and cannot be replaced by POE, who was by almost all accounts was not supposed to be signed to be a non rotating player, which he really has to be more of now, he will never be what he was in KC early on, but hes still making plays, hes got too many back issues, but we signed him anyway- OK but then we lost 3 guys that played heavy NFL rotation last year.   That is hurting us on Def, the LB are playing poorly with fits and the Dline is getting pushed around front seven is just not executing.  Our DEF line has to have a heavy rotation that is what makes it work.  

 

The oline had the same problems, I dont know why they are having a harder time this year but aside from MACK, execution wise they are not able to open the holes and get those outside zone screens executed like they did last year, last week it was because Shreader was hurt, OK maybe he is rusty but - that unit is not executing as well either, 

 

I things were starting to click in the first half with Matt flinging that ball downfield to Hall his feet werent set right but still got it there because the play action ****** the dolphins def,  Guys we need realize everything for our Offense happens because we could run the ball last year,  we are doing it this year but not as well, the wide open players last year was because teams had to pick something to stop, and they couldnt stop our running last year, this year they are doing a better job of it, and its killing our playaction game with guys just being wide open like last year on all those plays we go downfield. 

 

 

Edited by DMT11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sven said:

This is the nucleus of the point in this thread, basically. Every weekend I come to the forum and there's someone saying "This play didn't work, it would've obviously been way better if we did the opposite! I'm sure Shannahan would've done the opposite!" Probably not. 

Yeah I see it to so you are definitely not the only one. Hindsight bias is REAL on this board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stizz said:

Sark is just a drunk in over his head.

I'm starting to worry more about DQ. A good motivator who looks completely lost when the opposition flips the script and has a penchant to make zero halftime adjustments.

This is why my post is so condescending, by the way. This is who this post is aimed at. 

Just now, Knight of God said:

No, the topic is trying to make a stand about what the problem is. MY POINT, whether you like it or not, is that it really doesn't matter at this point if it is the plays called, or execution. You guys sit here like you know which one. You dig in your points and you sit on them like one point is better than the other and really its both.

You don't like what I say, so what! Its a real statement. Its both. That's my opinion as you all say. I guess now what I said is irrefutable.

I don't feel anything about what you said, it just seems irrelevant. Me: Makes point; discuss. You: I don't care which one it is. Uhh, alright, don't care then, I don't care if you don't care. If your main point/feeling is that the issues are a mix of everything, I basically agree with you, so we don't really have anything to argue about here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sven said:

This is why my post is so condescending, by the way. This is who this post is aimed at. 

I don't feel anything about what you said, it just seems irrelevant. Me: Makes point; discuss. You: I don't care which one it is. Uhh, alright, don't care then, I don't care if you don't care. If your main point/feeling is that the issues are a mix of everything, I basically agree with you, so we don't really have anything to argue about here. 

Yeah, I'm not much for discussions. I'll just say whatever and duck out. You see most don't respond. I'm not going to have a back and forth discussion. I will comment though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Julio Jones used to average 90+ yards a game, probably still does. I believe it was the best of all time. Now he's just a middle of the road receiver. 

Last year Matt had choices all over the field. Everyone caught TDs and defenses feared this offense. Julio was open because they had to account for everyone. Now they double and triple him and no one else is open. 

Maybe no one is executing or maybe what they aren't executing isn't very good to begin with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What changed between last year and this?

Additions - OC-Sarkisian, FB-Coleman, OG-Chester

Subtractions - OC-Shanahan, FB-DiMarco, OG-Schweitzer

If the OC is not the problem, the next immediate thing to question is the blocking-is Ryan not having enough time or comfort in the pocket?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Julio Jones used to average 90+ yards a game, probably still does. I believe it was the best of all time. Now he's just a middle of the road receiver. 

Last year Matt had choices all over the field. Everyone caught TDs and defenses feared this offense. Julio was open because they had to account for everyone. Now they double and triple him and no one else is open. 

Maybe no one is executing or maybe what they aren't executing isn't very good to begin with.

I'll add one more thing.

This year, we're back to seemingly every catch being contested. I'm not surprised that we've had so many tipped balls turned interceptions because there is seemingly always a defender close by.

One of the beauties of last season was how often a receiver was either wide open and/or had some room to pick up YAC.

This is a shell of 2016.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...