fuego

Matt Ryan on late interception: 'Right read in that situation'

175 posts in this topic

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan gave credit to the Miami Dolphins for coming up with a big play after his last-minute interception secured the Dolphins' 20-17 come-from-behind win.

Down by that score with 47 seconds remaining, Ryan attempted a down field pass to tight end Austin Hooper between two defenders on first-and-10 from the Dolphins' 26-yard-line. Dolphins cornerback Cordrea Tankersley got his hand in to deflect the pass, which was then picked off by safety Reshad Jones.

"I felt like I made the right read in that situation, put it where I wanted to, and that's how the game goes sometimes," Ryan said. "I'm disappointed with it, but we're going to continue to battle, and I think we'll be better for it and hopefully more mentally and physically tough as a football team moving forward."

Ryan finished the game completing 24 of 35 passes for 248 yards with one touchdown and a passer rating of 86.4. The interception was Ryan's sixth of the season, all in the last three games.

The Falcons didn't score in the second half. They played too conservative after two, 40-plus-yard plays in the first half. They went away from the running game, with Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman combining for 82 yards on 12 carries and a touchdown (by Coleman) in the first half. In the second half, they had six rushes for 18 yards combined.

"Well, I thought we put ourselves behind schedule," Ryan said of the second half. "You know, the first drive of the second half, I think the first play we got backed up with a sack and did a good job on second and third down, but we were a little bit too far behind the chains to come away with a first down, so that was just an execution standpoint. And then again, on the the second drive of the second half, we got into field goal range. We're down there in field goal range, moving the ball, penalty, and another sack, and we kind of got out of a spot where we could put points on the board.

"I think that was critical early (second half). I thought we did a nice job at the end of the game getting down into giving ourselves a chance to win that football game, and just a disappointing way that it ended."

Ryan was asked about being aggressive on the game's final drive, considering the Falcons could have tied it with a field goal. Remember, the Falcons got criticized for being too aggressive offensively in the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots, passing the ball at key times when they could have run it.

"Again, I thought it was the right decision," Ryan said of the final play. "Aggressive or [not], I understood we were in field goal range to tie the game. I also understood that we had plenty of time on the clock, and it was a throw that I felt good about. I let it rip, and again, just a good play by them. Sometimes that's how it goes."

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/29529/matt-ryan-on-late-interception-right-read-in-that-situation

Ergo Proxy likes this

6 minutes ago, fuego said:

I don't put the INT on Ryan either. It was a perfect pass. Just a good defense with another player in position to intercept when it was tipped. 

Not sure about relying on Hooper there though. 

That's a Julio ball. Not a Hooper ball. There was no need to call that kind of desperation pass in that situation though. 1st down, 2 time outs. Makes no sense.

Down by that score with 47 seconds remaining, Ryan attempted a down field pass to tight end Austin Hooper between two defenders on first-and-10 from the Dolphins' 26-yard-line. Dolphins cornerback Cordrea Tankersley got his hand in to deflect the pass, which was then picked off by safety Reshad Jones.

"I felt like I made the right read in that situation, put it where I wanted to, and that's how the game goes sometimes," Ryan said. "I'm disappointed with it, but we're going to continue to battle, and I think we'll be better for it and hopefully more mentally and physically tough as a football team moving forward."

Not sure if throwing between two defenders is ever the right read unless you are throwing to Julio Jones when he isn't hurt.  Furthermore, his nonchalance is astounding!  Thats how the game goes?  How about....I gotta protect the ball better, fake tears, or even the guy made a great effin play?  But thats the way it goes?! 

we're going to continue to battle?  ARE YOU KIDDIN ME?!  YOU LOST THE BATTLE YOU MORON AND THE EFFIN GAME!

3 minutes ago, IndiscreetGeek said:

That's a Julio ball. Not a Hooper ball. There was no need to call that kind of desperation pass in that situation though. 1st down, 2 time outs. Makes no sense.

He made it abundantly clear that it wasn't a desperation move

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 minute ago, likeriver said:

He made it abundantly clear that it wasn't a desperation move

How is it anything but a desperation move? Trying to force the issue. There was no need to throw that ball right then, in that situation. We had plenty of time. Plenty of downs. Time outs, and Bryant waiting in the wings to force overtime if need be.

Just now, IndiscreetGeek said:

How is it anything but a desperation move? Trying to force the issue. There was no need to throw that ball right then, in that situation. We had plenty of time. Plenty of downs. Time outs, and Bryant waiting in the wings to force overtime if need be.

Just about to post this exact thing.  You have the game tied in your back pocket.  You don't throw into double coverage in that situation.  Ryan has been in the league too long to make that mistake.

5 minutes ago, mc said:

Idiots on this board. Right pass, sometimes the defender wins. Hooperhad the ball.

LOL.....you sound like your quarterback.....terrible passing decision and the result is the proof.

5 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Exactly....and how about drawing up something for your superstar wide receiver...

Keys to the Ferrari with no drivers license...

Don't have a problem with that pass. The L isn't because of that turnover, the Offense was awful for the 2nd half and has not looked good for 80% of the games this season.

The D allowed Jay Cutler to lead an offense that had been worse than anemic this year to dominate the second half. 

the throw to Hooper doesn't even make the Top 10 of bad things this team has to fix if the Falcons expect to make the playoffs. 

This was a tough loss overall.  I also agree that we had time and timeouts and that we didn’t have to force that kind of pass being in field goal range.  But we’ve seen Matt put balls in tough places before with little time left.  Defense just made a good play on an opportunity that was given to them.  

Does anybody on this Team have any accountability...?

How about Matt just say "It was a bad pass or I tried to go for the WIN instead of a FG and we'll do everything at practice this week to prepare for the Patriots to make sure IT doesn't happen again"

Thats the ugly part of Leadership, taking responsibility for the outcome, even when it's unfavorable...

Birdy Dird likes this

3 minutes ago, VegasOdds101 said:

LOL.....you sound like your quarterback.....terrible passing decision and the result is the proof.

I don't think it was terrible but definitely not the best. Actually thought Hooper caught it so I looked away and hear "intercepted".....

This team in the last 2 games has played without any discernable passion.

Matt Ryan is the embodiment of that. Great face of a franchise, always has the PC answer, good NFL quarterback. Not a fiery guy I would follow into battle. JMO.

Peyton, Jerz and Flying Falcon like this

21 minutes ago, mc said:

Idiots on this board. Right pass, sometimes the defender wins. Hooperhad the ball.

Matt Effin Ryan, will you go take a shower and quit posting on this board!