OT

vel

Do we look at drafting and developing an LT this year? 

Jake has not gotten that much better since he came in the league. His issue will always be anchoring against power. He's just not strong enough. He's good, don't get me wrong, but you don't just take good at #6. I think he maxed out at Texas A & M. 

He's under contract next season regardless. But his cap hit will be $12.5MM basically. That is a LOT for a LT. He's not Bahktiari. He's not Tyron Smith. He's not Cordy Glenn. Guys in that $12MM range. He's only solid. HeIl, Schraeder is better than him even though he's a RT. 

I'm not sure the plan of action. People were iffy on paying an actual elite talent in Freeman. I'd rather pay elite talents top money than middle of the road talents top money and I think that's where Jake will be for the next 5-6 years. I know LTs are hard to find, but we've done a good job finding OL talent and developing them so far. What are some LT prospects this year we may be able to draft and stash for a year? 

7 hours ago, Scott Carasik said:

Jake has been excellent. What are you talking about?

Jake's been decent. He's not been any better or worse this year than he's been his career. Is Jake a 5yr $60MM OT? That's the question I'm asking. 

There are at least 10 LTs better than Jake. 

Jason Peters, Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas, Donald Penn, Duane Brown, David Bahktiari, Cordy Glenn, Trent Williams, Terron Armstead, Andrew Whitworth, Taylor Lewan. 

Jake is 11-20 type LT. I think we can easily agree on that. Is that irreplaceable? That's the question. Especially if he isn't going to get any better than he is. His issues are still the same four years in. Do you pay up for that? Or do you take a developmental LT this draft and develop him? 

5 hours ago, vel said:

Jake's been decent. He's not been any better or worse this year than he's been his career. Is Jake a 5yr $60MM OT? That's the question I'm asking. 

Jason Peters, Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas, Donald Penn, Duane Brown, David Bahktiari, Cordy Glenn, Trent Williams, Terron Armstead, Andrew Whitworth, Taylor Lewan. 

Jake is 11-20 type LT. I think we can easily agree on that. Is that irreplaceable? That's the question. Especially if he isn't going to get any better than he is. His issues are still the same four years in. Do you pay up for that? Or do you take a developmental LT this draft and develop him? 

I think it's replaceable but not in the draft where we will be picking.

Also think with Ryan in his prime at the moment would you want to change that key guy at this point in Ryan's career,not sure it would be that good considering the options.

18 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think it's replaceable but not in the draft where we will be picking.

Also think with Ryan in his prime at the moment would you want to change that key guy at this point in Ryan's career,not sure it would be that good considering the options.

The Saints added Armstead at about the same time as we'd be adding a "new" LT in this situation. It's not farfetched. I just think it's a more interesting discussion than "Who should we draft?" that's unrealistic. I know this is purely hypothetical, but I would not be surprised if Jake has another just solid season if they aren't faced with a dilemma. LTs are hard to find. But is Jake hard to replace? Can't pay every one. 

On 10/15/2017 at 8:36 PM, vel said:

You can't have elite in every position, I think you can start developing someone but not take one in the first 4 rounds.. we need DT, DE, S and WR or TE, Plus Jake is solid he is not your weak link in the roster.. keep adding to the D.... It all we need..