Trump owns the healthcare market now....

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

So now you admit that you DO qualify for subsidies.  

What’s your zip code?  That monthly premium sounds too high to me and you’ve already made two claims that are demonstrably false.  

Do you want my social security number, too? What claims have I made that are false? The person that helped me try to get the best plan for me does that kind of thing for a living. She is pretty good at her job. I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time believing that I can't afford insurance. It's hard for me to accept, too.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, WalkingTheDawg said:

Do you want my social security number, too? What claims have I made that are false? The person that helped me try to get the best plan for me does that kind of thing for a living. She is pretty good at her job. I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time believing that I can't afford insurance. It's hard for me to accept, too.

No, I just want your zip code.  I don’t need any personal identification.

I laid it out in my previous post.  You claimed the insurance covers “very little”.  That is false.  You claimed that you don’t qualify for subsidies.  That is false, and you seem to have admitted it.  

When you make two demonstrably false statements it undermines people’s trust that you are being accurate about your situation.  It makes it harder to believe what you are saying is true.  

So no, I don’t believe the only plan available to you costs over $600 a month before subsidies.  I want to verify that is the cheapest policy in your area.

Also, did you use the marketplaces or try to get insurance outside of the marketplace?

No, I just want your zip code.  I don’t need any personal identification.

I laid it out in my previous post.  You claimed the insurance covers “very little”.  That is false.  You claimed that you don’t qualify for subsidies.  That is false, and you seem to have admitted it.  

When you make two demonstrably false statements it undermines people’s trust that you are being accurate about your situation.  It makes it harder to believe what you are saying is true.  

So no, I don’t believe the only plan available to you costs over $600 a month before subsidies.  I want to verify that is the cheapest policy in your area.

Also, did you use the marketplaces or try to get insurance outside of the marketplace?

People like you crack me up. Is it possible that the ACA isn't the shining beacon of hope and change that it was touted to be? It's not like I'm blaming your messiah for the change in my life or for the government's insistence that socialized healthcare is the best thing for the American people. The ACA was going to forced on us, regardless of which CIC we were given. You're calling me a liar because my reality contradicts your opinion. I'm sorry to break it to you but, my reality dictates that I'm not concerned with your opinion. How much do you pay for coverage under the ACA? 

1 minute ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

People like you crack me up. Is it possible that the ACA isn't the shining beacon of hope and change that it was touted to be? It's not like I'm blaming your messiah for the change in my life or for the government's insistence that socialized healthcare is the best thing for the American people. The ACA was going to forced on us, regardless of which CIC we were given. You're calling me a liar because my reality contradicts your opinion. I'm sorry to break it to you but, my reality dictates that I'm not concerned with your opinion. How much do you pay for coverage under the ACA? 

It’s not my opinion.  It’s the basic facts.  You DO qualify for subsidies based on your income.  That is a fact.  The plans available through the marketplace DO cover a lot of things...that’s one of the COMPLAINTS about them actually...they supposedly cover too much.  

I have not called you a liar...yet.  I simply said you made two demonstrably false claims.  Having done that, now you want us to believe the only plan available costs $540 a month after subsidies.  I’m sorry, but I’ve checked online calculators and I do not believe that is true.  

But we can resolve this once and for all...give me your zip code (or even a neighboring one, I don’t care) and I can go directly to the marketplace and see what plans are available to you and what they cost.  This is very easily resolved.  It can be resolved with FACTS, not your demonstrably false claims.

It’s not my opinion.  It’s the basic facts.  You DO qualify for subsidies based on your income.  That is a fact.  The plans available through the marketplace DO cover a lot of things...that’s one of the COMPLAINTS about them actually...they supposedly cover too much.  

I have not called you a liar...yet.  I simply said you made two demonstrably false claims.  Having done that, now you want us to believe the only plan available costs $540 a month after subsidies.  I’m sorry, but I’ve checked online calculators and I do not believe that is true.  

But we can resolve this once and for all...give me your zip code (or even a neighboring one, I don’t care) and I can go directly to the marketplace and see what plans are available to you and what they cost.  This is very easily resolved.  It can be resolved with FACTS, not your demonstrably false 

Also, to answer your question, I have the same insurance through my employer as I did before Obamacare, so there’s been no change for me.

Why not switch to the aca?

12 minutes ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

You’re dodging the central question here about your situation.  Give me a zip code close to you and I’ll check on the premiums.

At this point, I don’t even think you’re lying.  I think you might just have not gone to the proper website for signing up for a policy and don’t know what’s available under the ACA.

To your question, I can’t switch to the marketplaces.  I could buy an additional policy through there, but that’s redundant.  My employer provides the insurance and I can’t decline that.   

6 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

You’re dodging the central question here about your situation.  Give me a zip code close to you and I’ll check on the premiums.

At this point, I don’t even think you’re lying.  I think you might just have not gone to the proper website for signing up for a policy and don’t know what’s available under the policy.

To your question, I can’t switch to the marketplaces.  I could buy an additional policy through there, but that’s redundant.  My employer provides the insurance and I can’t decline that.   

So you're telling me how great the ACA is and how terrible private insurance is while you're covered by a private company? My zip code is 31501, what's yours? A guy I work with (26, non smoker and does a much safer job than me for roughly the same pay) only pays like 250 a month with a much lower deductible. I know it's a bit hard to swallow but my age, the fact that I smoke and the nature of my job are all factors in the cost of coverage. If you can find me a plan that I can afford with a deductible that isn't nearly a quarter of my annual income, I'll be more than happy to take a look at it. 

3 minutes ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

So you're telling me how great the ACA is and how terrible private insurance is while you're covered by a private company? My zip code is 31501, what's yours? A guy I work with (26, non smoker and does a much safer job than me for roughly the same pay) only pays like 250 a month with a much lower deductible. I know it's a bit hard to swallow but my age, the fact that I smoke and the nature of my job are all factors in the cost of coverage. If you can find me a plan that I can afford with a deductible that isn't nearly a quarter of my annual income, I'll be more than happy to take a look at it. 

I merely suggested that single payer would take care of all the complaints you had.  I never said private insurance is terrible.  I said there are serious problems with it that need to be addressed.  Single payer is one way but there are others.

Also, I entered the zip code, assumed you were 40 years old (no need to tell me your actual age), and smoker and got this...

SyCwYzn.jpg

So it looks like you’ll get around $250-275 in subsidies each month.  The enrollment period starts on November 1st, so detailed plans aren’t available.  However, there is a Kaiser calculator for 2017:

https://www.kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/#state=ga&zip=31501&income-type=dollars&income=30000&employer-coverage=0&people=1&alternate-plan-family=individual&adult-count=1&adults[0][age]=21&adults[0][tobacco]=0&child-count=0&child-tobacco=0

It estimates a monthly premium around $207 for a silver plan.  You can find out for yourself by going to healthcare.gov for estimates about subsidies and to the website above for estimates about premiums.  

So it looks like there could be plans that are affordable for you, at least in terms of monthly premiums.  You should at least look into the healthcare.gov website on November 1st and see what’s there.

Deductibles are indeed a huge problem and they are getting worse.  But you can’t really blame Obamacare for that given that those costs were rising well before the ACA, and at rates that were much faster.  It needs to be addressed, sure.  But Trump’s executive orders are going to make those costs - deductibles, premiums, etc. - much higher and the quality of the policies available much lower.  He’s going in the opposite direction.

I merely suggested that single payer would take care of all the complaints you had.  I never said private insurance is terrible.  I said there are serious problems with it that need to be addressed.  Single payer is one way but there are others.

Also, I entered the zip code, assumed you were 40 years old (no need to tell me your actual age), and smoker and got this...

SyCwYzn.jpg

So it looks like you’ll get around $250-275 in subsidies each month.  The enrollment period starts on November 1st, so detailed plans aren’t available.  However, there is a Kaiser calculator for 2017:

https://www.kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/#state=ga&zip=31501&income-type=dollars&income=30000&employer-coverage=0&people=1&alternate-plan-family=individual&adult-count=1&adults[0][age]=21&adults[0][tobacco]=0&child-count=0&child-tobacco=0

It estimates a monthly premium around $207 for a silver plan.  You can find out for yourself by going to healthcare.gov for estimates about subsidies and to the website above for estimates about premiums.  

So it looks like there could be plans that are affordable for you, at least in terms of monthly premiums.  You should at least look into the healthcare.gov website on November 1st and see what’s there.

Deductibles are indeed a huge problem and they are getting worse.  But you can’t really blame Obamacare for that given that those costs were rising well before the ACA, and at rates that were much faster.  It needs to be addressed, sure.  But Trump’s executive orders are going to make those costs - deductibles, premiums, etc. - much higher and the quality of the policies available much lower.  He’s going in the opposite direction.

I'll be 46 in 3 weeks. That estimate isn't far off from the one I got in 2014. It was quite a bit different once I actually applied. If I could actually get coverage for under $300, I'd probably sign up. The deductible is ridiculous but if something major happened, It would be worth it. 

6 minutes ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

I'll be 46 in 3 weeks. That estimate isn't far off from the one I got in 2014. It was quite a bit different once I actually applied. If I could actually get coverage for under $300, I'd probably sign up. The deductible is ridiculous but if something major happened, It would be worth it. 

Did you go through healthcare.gov back in 2014?  It almost sounds like you went through an outside agent, which would explain some of the false information you were given.  

Again, be sure to check out the healthcare.gov website.  That’s the official government website for enrolling in insurance.  

And yeah, I agree about the deductibles.  Instead of Trump trying to “blow up” the markets and go backwards, I wish that he and Republicans would focus on ways to reduce deductibles and make insurance more affordable.  

Unfortunately, Trump seems to want a “we won and Obamacare is gone” photo op more than he wants to actually help people.

Did you go through healthcare.gov back in 2014?  It almost sounds like you went through an outside agent, which would explain some of the false information you were given.  

Again, be sure to check out the healthcare.gov website.  That’s the official government website for enrolling in insurance.  

Yea, I went to the official site. I was pretty ok with the numbers until I submitted the application. Once I got my real numbers, I had to back out.  They were pretty nice about it and told me I wouldn't be penalized on my tax returns because it would put a burden on me to pay that much. It is what it is.  I've got my eye on a couple of jobs in Philly that pay pretty decent so maybe I can get back to normal soon. I don't really want to move back up there (I'm dating a great girl that I don't want to leave behind and she has mixed emotions about going there) but I'll have to do what I have to do. 

2 minutes ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

Yea, I went to the official site. I was pretty ok with the numbers until I submitted the application. Once I got my real numbers, I had to back out.  They were pretty nice about it and told me I wouldn't be penalized on my tax returns because it would put a burden on me to pay that much. It is what it is.  I've got my eye on a couple of jobs in Philly that pay pretty decent so maybe I can get back to normal soon. I don't really want to move back up there (I'm dating a great girl that I don't want to leave behind and she has mixed emotions about going there) but I'll have to do what I have to do. 

I can believe something like that happened back in 2014, when they were still trying to get everything figured out.  Fortunately, for most people the marketplaces have stabilized a lot now.  So I’d be surprised if you find yourself in the same situation as you did in 2014.  Again, enrollment starts beginning of next month and only lasts about a month and a half.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

I can believe something like that happened back in 2014, when they were still trying to get everything figured out.  Fortunately, for most people the marketplaces have stabilized a lot now.  So I’d be surprised if you find yourself in the same situation as you did in 2014.  Again, enrollment starts beginning of next month and only lasts about a month and a half.

I'll certainly check it out.  I'm in fairly good health right know but my age and my job make me a bit nervous about the future.  I've learned a lot about "the other side" in the last few years.  I've never been rich but I grew up fairly comfortable and, until everything hit the fan, I was doing pretty good. Life can really kick your *** sometimes.

4 hours ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

I'll certainly check it out.  I'm in fairly good health right know but my age and my job make me a bit nervous about the future.  I've learned a lot about "the other side" in the last few years.  I've never been rich but I grew up fairly comfortable and, until everything hit the fan, I was doing pretty good. Life can really kick your *** sometimes.

No doubt, man.  And I’m sorry about your situation.  My best friend used to be a truck driver but thankfully got out of the business.  Jobs like that used to pay good wages but for various reasons now it’s barely enough to survive.  One of the things that our country has got to figure out is how to increase wages for people in regular jobs.  The country needs it and I frankly don’t care if the people who figure it out are Democrats, Republicans, or President Trump himself.  Nobody can look at the current wage situation and think it’s good or sustainable.

2 hours ago, HMFIC said:

"Markets have stabilized now "?   Are you insane ???   That's why the man made his original posts. Even if what you are saying about premiums is true, the market has NOT stabilized .  Premiums and deductibles have still gotten WAY too much higher as a result of Obamacare. Anything that Trump can accomplish under the burden of Obamacare laws will be a marked improvement under his proposal. To see real improvement , Obamacare must be repealed and replaced as soon as possible,  Trump is working hard on getting that done as soon as possible for the American people.  In the meantime, I assume you will continue to cloud the issue by lying as usual. 

The situation he described was back in 2014.  I simply posted information from credible sources, including the exchange itself, showing that he probably qualifies for more than he originally thought.  And I truly hope that he can get affordable insurance during this year’s enrollment period.

What Trump has done with the executive order (which has already been signed, so FOH with the “we don’t know what’s in the proposal” crap) is ensure that insurance companies will charge higher premiums, deductibles, and that fewer companies will be available.  Over a million more people will lose coverage next year alone, according to the CBO.  That’s doing the opposite of “real improvement”.

What Trump’s doing is holding people’s health insurance hostage so he can get some kind of photo op.  The only proposals he’s made in terms of legislation are simply repeals of Obamacare.  He and the GOP have not proposed any alternative to it, let alone one that would increase the number of people with insurance, lower premiums and deductibles, and otherwise make healthcare more accessible and affordable.  

4 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

And yeah, I agree about the deductibles.  Instead of Trump trying to “blow up” the markets and go backwards, I wish that he and Republicans would focus on ways to reduce deductibles and make insurance more affordable.  

Unfortunately, Trump seems to want a “we won and Obamacare is gone” photo op more than he wants to actually help people.

JFC, no you don't.  You're trying to blame it on the GOP (at this very moment) by saying Trump owns healthcare now.  You're so happy that democrat turd got flushed you're whistling zippity doo dah out your arse right now.  Way to be concerned about people, skippy...oh, I'm so happy the healthcare disaster is no longer a Dem problem...what a tool

15 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

JFC, no you don't.  You're trying to blame it on the GOP (at this very moment) by saying Trump owns healthcare now.  You're so happy that democrat turd got flushed you're whistling zippity doo dah out your arse right now.  Way to be concerned about people, skippy...oh, I'm so happy the healthcare disaster is no longer a Dem problem...what a tool

When everyone, even his closest [former] advisers, say his EO will send the markets into chaos and premiums and copayments will skyrocket then, yes, he owns the consequences of that.

3 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

When everyone, even his closest [former] advisers, say his EO will send the markets into chaos and premiums and copayments will skyrocket then, yes, he owns the consequences of that.

Right.  It’s not even speculation about his intentions.  His top advisor came out and said that was the goal.