Miami Dolphins: Hitting Snooze on this one

falcndave

Despite my close brush with crow in THIS thread, I'm back on the horse in week 6. I've seen several references to the the Buffalo game. My friends, the Dolphins are no Buffalo Bills. They do one thing well, stop the run. It doesn't matter because they can't stop the pass and they can't score. No Julio? No Sanu?  No problem. 

Game opened at Atlanta -10.  Its already moved to Atlanta -12.  I'm out of state and I won't be going to the sports bar and spilling 40 dollars on food and drink to see this one. I'll catch it on NFL Rewind a few hours after it ends.

I'm rarely supremely confident. I'm the guy who starts half of the "don't sleep on...." thread. Go ahead and sleep on these Dolphins. I'm reaching for the snooze button as I type. 

I already know the rebuttals. You are all simply wrong. Any given Sunday...they are all professionals...6 turnovers in two games...can't take anyone lightly.  Yeah, I get it. What you are underestimating is just how good the Falcons are, and just how little Jay Cutler really cares about winning. Offensive regression is cited frequently. What no one really notices is we haven't played a defense in the bottom half of the league yet. 3 of 4 defenses faced are in the top 10, and the 4th is 11th. More in THIS article. If the Falcons can't establish the run and turn the ball over three times, they will just barely cover the 12 point spread. If the do establish the run and they win the turnover battle (can you say Jay Cutler?), there will be 10 threads posted within 10 minutes of the start of the 4th quarter lamenting how we took our foot off the gas too early with a 24 point lead early in the 3rd.

13 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Until this Falcons offense can show me consistent confidence in their players and Playcalling, they will be a team that has to rely on their defense to come close to winning games. If only we could take last year's offense with this year's defense besides duke Riley, we would win out

I would argue we do have last year's offense and this year's defense. What we don't have is the 4 weak opposing defenses that we opened with last season.

The defenses faced this season are much tougher than what we started the season with last year. Last year 3 of the defense we faced finished in the bottom 10.  Two were pretty putrid (Oakland/NO). The only top 10 defense we played through 5 games last season was Denver. We didn't light them up, but we scored. Kinda like what were are doing this year against solid defenses. 26ish PPG across 4 top 11 defenses is actually pretty good. Defense has chipped in with scores, but we had that last year as well. 

26 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Pride before the fall.  

Snooze button?  Really?  Those guys get paid, just like our guys.  

I want our guys to kick their a$$es, but I will never, ever "hit the snooze button" on any game we play.

Your choice. I stressed myself out for the first 45 years of Falcon fanhood. I'm tired. I'm going to rest this one out. 

To the OP : Your title read : Miami Dolphins: Hitting Snooze on this one

I mean really? WTH? I didn't even bother reading the rest underneath your post. 

This is TALK ABOUT THE FALCONS! Not : HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON UNTIL NEXT WEEK!

Dolphins have a great run stop defense, Falcons are somewhat banged up at WR. Thing about the Dolphins is not only can they stop the run but they are really good at rushing the passer. 

Either way, OP : You can hit the snooze button, but you obviously haven't done your homework where this upcoming game goes. 

Until Sarks opens up the offense and starts playing full speed though, with the no huddle and letting the offense play at full speed I will worry as a fan as to how well the offense will function. So far the offense is trying to be methodical and pick apart a team, but that's not what they are honestly, they are a high speed offense and defense and they need to play high speed and score as fast as possible and set a high speed tempo instead of sitting back on their heels trying to play pick and choose passing. Or that is : "DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE DEFENSE HOLDING WHEN IT FAILED IN THE SUPERBOWL!" Just play your game Falcons at a high speed rate on offense and let the defense worry about what they can or cannot do. 

Those are my observations thus far either way. 

OP : If that's how you feel, then I suspect you wont be replying for at least a couple weeks eh? 

55 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Your choice. I stressed myself out for the first 45 years of Falcon fanhood. I'm tired. I'm going to rest this one out. 

I get it.  I am behind you by three years.  I was around for the inaugural season, but in those days, I was all about baseball.  

I interpreted your post as an arrogant opinion of our opponent.  I have been around way too long to consider any game "in the bag."

5 hours ago, falcndave said:

I would argue we do have last year's offense and this year's defense. What we don't have is the 4 weak opposing defenses that we opened with last season.

The defenses faced this season are much tougher than what we started the season with last year. Last year 3 of the defense we faced finished in the bottom 10.  Two were pretty putrid (Oakland/NO). The only top 10 defense we played through 5 games last season was Denver. We didn't light them up, but we scored. Kinda like what were are doing this year against solid defenses. 26ish PPG across 4 top 11 defenses is actually pretty good. Defense has chipped in with scores, but we had that last year as well. 

Our offense Torched GB and dropped 30 on Detroit.

11 minutes ago, shanep said:

Think I heard on 92.9 that Cutler is 3-0 against the falcon s in his career.payback time!

Pretty sure smoking jay was qb for the bears in 2008 when we beat them after they went ahead with only 14 seconds left... the crowd almost blew the roof off the dome when we won that one.

NM, looked it up, he came to Chicago in 2009.

Edited by AlabamaFalconFan

6 hours ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

I mean really? WTH? I didn't even bother reading the rest underneath your post. 

Dolphins have a great run stop defense, Falcons are somewhat banged up at WR. Thing about the Dolphins is not only can they stop the run but they are really good at rushing the passer. 

Either way, OP : You can hit the snooze button, but you obviously haven't done your homework where this upcoming game goes. 

Until Sarks opens up the offense and starts playing full speed though, with the no huddle and letting the offense play at full speed I will worry as a fan as to how well the offense will function. So far the offense is trying to be methodical and pick apart a team, but that's not what they are honestly, they are a high speed offense and defense and they need to play high speed and score as fast as possible and set a high speed tempo instead of sitting back on their heels trying to play pick and choose passing. Or that is : "DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE DEFENSE HOLDING WHEN IT FAILED IN THE SUPERBOWL!" Just play your game Falcons at a high speed rate on offense and let the defense worry about what they can or cannot do. 

OP : If that's how you feel, then I suspect you wont be replying for at least a couple weeks eh? 

he did talk about the Falcons in it. if you'd have read it, you'd have known that and wouldn't have had to go on this rant that makes you look like what you are  

:tiphat:

7 hours ago, trudweathers said:

That snooze button is what killed us late in the Superbowl.....

I wasn't sleeping then. I doubt the Falcons are influenced by my level of concern with their opponents. They spend the full week preparing for each of them. This week they got the added bonus of spending a week working on themselves as well.

1 hour ago, Mescalito said:

This thread should be sent to helvete.  Suh always has a way of getting to Matt Ryan.  Wake too.  

I assume their DL will cause us problems. Yet, I'm not impressed. Remember, we play them every season in the pre-season and every season I bemoan the way their bigger stronger men in the trenches push us around on both sides of the ball. The difference is that in the regular season we don't run straight at them on offense or rush 4 every play on defense. We actually run our stuff and our athleticism is very hard for a team like that to deal with. We will out flank them with ease with any set of skill position players that happen to be ready to go on offense. 

10 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Nahh I need to see the defense start playing ball. I know we have two but it feels like we haven't had a turnover.. Redzone won't show much coverage but we need to get this defense rolling

Defense has been solid. Think about the position the offense has put them in with 6 turnovers in 2 games. They have protected short fields and forced a plethora of field goals. Turnovers are the results of putting pressure on an offense. But, they are not the only results. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean opposing offenses are prospering. QBs are feeling the heat on a weekly basis.

To be honest, I'd rather have the 14th ranked defense with fewer turnovers vs. the 31st ranked defense with more turnovers. Total defense travels well and doesn't have off weeks. Turnovers are fickle. Sometimes you do everything right and still don't get them. 

12 hours ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

I mean really? WTH? I didn't even bother reading the rest underneath your post:

Your loss. Plenty about the Falcons in the OP and subsequent responses. I'm going to assume you don't know me as a poster here. There is a bit of an inside story to the post title and the general sentiment expressed.

I spent up to 50 hours each week grinding on the NFL for DFS purposes (depending on the week...as low as 30). I've spent at least 3 hours just on this game. If you have any specific questions to ask about matchups anywhere on the field, just let me know. I don't put all the supporting facts in an article like this because I've learned that people won't read long posts...right? :)

You make some valid points here. The Falcons are the 22nd slowest pace of play team in "situation neutral" situations. However, you'd be surprised to learn the played only slightly faster than that last season. Their success last season we built on offense efficiency (YPA, etc), not pace of play. Another interesting pace of play fact is that Atlanta's 4 opponents are playing at a much faster pace against the Falcons than they are on average. It appears that the league's take away from LI is to speed up the game and try to wear the defense out. Unfortunately, we have better depth and they don't have Tom Brady...so it isn't working as well for them. This isn't the defense that failed in the SB.

Not sure what you mean by that. If your asking if I'll hide if I'm wrong, I refer you back to my first point. Anything can happen due to the random nature of football. That said, it would take a literal parade of statistically unusual outcomes for this to even be a close game. If Ajay was right, I'd feel differently. He is not right. He'll have an okay game, but I don't think it his in good enough physical shape to slash us in the check-down/draw game. 

While I do believe we should win this, no game in the NFL is ever guaranteed. Despite popular believe Miami can be very dangerous. Cutler is definitely holding this team back. If for some reason they decided to give Moore a shot during this game, it could give their offense a shot of energy. Luckily Gase seems too stubborn to admit that Cutler isn’t hacking it. 

8 hours ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Pretty sure smoking jay was qb for the bears in 2008 when we beat them after they went ahead with only 14 seconds left... the crowd almost blew the roof off the dome when we won that one.

NM, looked it up, he came to Chicago in 2009.

No that was kyle orton