AF89

US fails to qualify for World Cup

50 posts in this topic

And they ain't about to let that 2024 World Cup approach without retooling the fuq out of this development system. Today might just end up being the most important day in US soccer history if we play our cards right. 

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

I agree wholeheartedly with Taylor on this

I saw that earlier.  Epic stuff. 

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would expect the United States of America to have one of the top 32 soccer teams in the world.   

1 hour ago, holymoses said:

I saw that earlier.  Epic stuff. 

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would expect the United States of America to have one of the top 32 soccer teams from in the world.   

We're the most athletic participating nation on earth. Period. (The sheer volume of Summer and Winter Olympics medals dwarf every other country) We also have the $$, facilities and resources that most countries can't even hope to match.

Now yes we're never going be Germany or Spain (at least not till Football and Baseball eventually die) our interests are simply far too varied  and Soccer doesnt crack top 3 yet I understand that. But there's no reason we shouldn't dominate every team not named Mexico in CONCACAF. We just got knocked out of World Cup by a nation smaller than Gwinnett County.

We should expect better.  This is an embarrassment. 

Edit: 

holymoses likes this

If sweet tiny little Iceland with not even a million people and only a handful of playable pitches (that arent covered in snow only a few months a year) can qualify out of Europe we should be fukkin embarrassed that we can't even get out of North America with 100000x the resources and far far weaker competition

holymoses and NewFalcon like this

The world cup qualifying system is literally built to favor the US, like dropping a school of 75k undergrads into the Sunbelt conference. We don't have to be better than France or Brazil. We gotta be better than Hondorus...

Now that said the nickel and dime operation that CONCACAF runs probably contributed to the lead up to tonight whether it's poor fields, refs that don't make proper calls (and let defenders practically mug our stars) or things like that Panama goal tonight that ultimately knocked us out and would not have been a goal literally anywhere else but the freaking middle east or something... 

But this is still ultimately our fault. It's the fewest points we've EVER earned in the CONCACAF hex, regardless of the questionable outcomes in the other games.

holymoses likes this

United States is 28th ranked team in the world btw (who I can't stress enough plays in one of the weakest federations in soccer)

6 hours ago, AF89 said:

Sorry I'm all triggered over this :sadwave:

Cheer up, sir. Georgia Southern' s homecoming is this weekend. 

On second thought.....:(

AF89 likes this

7 hours ago, AF89 said:

We're the most athletic participating nation on earth. Period. (The sheer volume of Summer and Winter Olympics medals dwarf every other country) We also have the $$, facilities and resources that most countries can't even hope to match.

Now yes we're never going be Germany or Spain (at least not till Football and Baseball eventually die) our interests are simply far too varied  and Soccer doesnt crack top 3 yet I understand that. But there's no reason we shouldn't dominate every team not named Mexico in CONCACAF. We just got knocked out of World Cup by a nation smaller than Gwinnett County.

We should expect better.  This is an embarrassment. 

Edit: 

I would expect that you would recognize sarcasm.   THAT is am embarreeement. 

It's upsetting but this team was not going to make it out of the group stage anyway. Due to that, making fun of Resistance people over the United States not playing in Russia is a nice consolation prize.

15 hours ago, AF89 said:

Had 92% to qualify coming into tonight alot had to go wrong....and it did.

I feel sick

Ah, too bad...I mean oh, that's really sad.  

10 minutes ago, BrockSamson said:

I think that's my favorite 4-"word" sentence ever.

You folks don't get sarcasm OR irony.

(freakin' thumbs. . . )

I honestly didn't know anybody cared about soccer in this country. I guess it's more popular than I thought. I think the only 2 players I'm even aware of are Pele and that guy that's married to posh spice. 

2 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

That should teach us something about campaign money and who gets elected as well.  Hillary had a shytload of money know she sits around Chappaqua like this.

hillary-drunk.jpg

2 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

334.gif

Hes a good league coach (and galaxy need him) but I honestly don't know how he can even show his face back in the MLS after this, at least till after the world cup. He's going to get crucified every road game and maybe even a few home games.

BrockSamson and NewFalcon like this