Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tandy

Roger Goodell sends memo to all 32 teams regarding anthem

509 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

Funny how some put their patriotism in a piece of fabrics while some others rather put in the pursuit of happiness for all...

You are generalizing and making bad assumptions. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

5 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Right, on that "Fake News".

Which it is , everybody is making it about the flag and the anthem. There just using that as a prop. People now have a reason/ platform to speak now they will do. H3ll players have been sitting and kneeling for the anthem for years and nobody says anything, why now ? I mean goddell only cares about money he couldnt give a d@mn about us neither jerry jones

3 minutes ago, EJmusic said:

When the national anthem was written, my ancestors were ripped from their homes, history, and heritage. The national anthem was never for African Americans. The police were created for Jim Crow to police my grandfather and grandmother. Today cops still have a quick trigger finger for African American men. I understand that these athletes are rich, they aren't kneeling for themselves. They are kneeling for me. 

Educate brother!!! Educate!!!

A Brief History of Slavery and the  The Origins of American Policing

Written by Victor E. Kappeler, Ph.D.

The birth and development of the American police can be traced to a multitude of historical, legal and political-economic conditions. The institution of slavery and the control of minorities, however, were two of the more formidable historic features of American society shaping early policing. Slave patrols and Night Watches, which later became modern police departments, were both designed to control the behaviors of minorities. For example, New England settlers appointed Indian Constables to police Native Americans (National Constable Association, 1995), the St. Louis police were founded to protect residents from Native Americans in that frontier city, and many southern police departments began as slave patrols. In 1704, the colony of Carolina developed the nation's first slave patrol. Slave patrols helped to maintain the economic order and to assist the wealthy landowners in recovering and punishing slaves who essentially were considered property.

http://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook/brief-history-slavery-and-origins-american-policing

And now they're STILL trying to control us by trying to make us "Stand".

1 minute ago, Ryan2Julio11 said:

Nobody said that they hate their country. Where did you hear that? You’re so consumed with someone standing up or not that you’re not even giving a thought to why it was brought up in the first place. 

Therein lies the problem.  There is so much controversy about the anthem and flag that the original issue is getting pushed aside.   The issue is too important to let the method of awareness be a greater source of conversation than the issue itself.

I don't agree with Goodell very often - but in this case, wouldn't it be better for them to have a forum or venue during the season to bring out issues of importance to them - similar to the way they do Breast Cancer Awareness month or the My Cause My Cleats.   

Why wouldn't they want to use their influence to start dialogue instead of division?   Isn't that where the real answers lie?    Bringing awareness and answers and sharing them where they need to be shared to do the most good for the cause. 

Listen - I agree with them that something needs to be done.    I always believe the answer is in teaching and communicating and weeding out problems before they arise.    

However, I'm proud that they care enough to risk their careers to speak out about a horrendous injustice that's occurring - but I think that if they choose the right venue for raising awareness, their voices will be heard clearer and with more open minded ears.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject because it's getting into a political arena and this is not the forum for that discussion

Halcon-1, PokerSteve, gazoo and 2 others like this

2 minutes ago, JCITOW said:

You are generalizing and making bad assumptions. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

I said some and others... not all the others...

Its pretty sad that President Trump is running the country like his own reality tv show.  And he is winning.  It cost the tax payers nearly $500,000 to fly Pence and reporters out for that staged walk out...but he won.  He convinced the public that these were anti-America protests because it revolved around the anthem.  The Twitter President strikes again.

The players should find a unified way to protest without involving the anthem.  Don’t know how...maybe a sign of unity for 2 minutes after halftime.  Stand together and refuse to start play on time for 2 minutes after the half? It must be unified though...that’s easier when the anthem is not involved.

6 minutes ago, JCITOW said:

Sure people disrespect the flag everyday and as long as you are doing it in a public forum or a public street, I support your right as an expression. But not at a football game. And the players are public figures. I am sure they can garner attention to their cause off the football field.

So you don't agree then that politics has a place in sports even though in a previous post you said they do "to a certain degree"?

Which is it because this post contradicts the other one.

And the disrespect of the flag Im talking about it happens on the field... All the time in pre-game ceremonies and on the field during the game out in front of everyone yet I've never heard anyone except old vets that I know even mention it.

I am saddened by the plight of the black, inner city youth. Instead of disrespecting my country and offending several patriotic Americans, I  spend several hours a month mentoring these young men and helping them get their lives back together to be good sons, fathers and husbands. I'm leaving the house shortly to go meet with some now.

I dont have to be disrespectful to others to make a difference. I encourage these athletes to go out and make a difference without doing things highly offensive to large portions of the country. 

6 minutes ago, JCITOW said:

Working in the NFL is not a right, it is a privilege. We do not have the right to do many things at work albeit we have the right to do them generally. This is not a new concept and I believe you abide by it everyday at work, right?

Are you trying to uncover my lack of courage, by bringing up work? 

Have you you ever had the courage to to risk $100 dollars on something you believe in? A $1,000 if you had it? 

That is exactly what these players are doing, they are putting their money where their mouth is. You want to talk about courageous, those players that take a knee on Sunday, are some of the most courageous people you are ever going to see. Maybe that is why they have made it as far as they have? You can question a lot of things about them, but not their courage for what they believe in!

Vogelgryff and Flying Falcon like this

4 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

one navy seal does not represent our nation or national flag.

thank you !! thats exactly my point....most of these guys who are protesting are soo oblivious  to world reality.

Everything for them is an "entitlement" thats a **** problem. 

Good. I worked my A$$ off for 45 years. Never felt privileged at all.....But got a satisfaction from my never ending struggle to succeed against the forces the natural way of things.

That 0530 alarm was a call to combat in the real world.. No one gave me shi$

gazoo and PokerSteve like this

Just now, Tim Mazetti said:

Good. I worked my A$$ off for 45 years. Never felt privileged at all.....But got a satisfaction from my never ending struggle to succeed against the forces the natural way of things.

That 0530 alarm was a call to combat in the real world.. No one gave me shi$

But yet I'm sure you STILL had more of a chance to get ahead than the most brilliant black person.

mar31985, EJmusic and caponine like this

12 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

one navy seal does not represent our nation or national flag.

thank you !! thats exactly my point....most of these guys who are protesting are soo oblivious  to world reality.

Everything for them is an "entitlement" thats a **** problem. 

So them taking a stand for the people in their community is being entitled. Omg this guy here lol

Flying Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

But yet I'm sure you STILL had more of a chance to get ahead than the most brilliant black person.

Like Bill Cosby or Ben Carson or Eddie Murphy, or.................................Walter Williams. Check him out.

In the days of black affirmative action, I still succeeded.

PokerSteve and Rhodaric like this

Funny how the initial cause for the protest continues to get ignored. There is a code for the American Flag my good people. If you would kindly read it, you would not be so quick to judge #7. It's disrespectful to use the flag as a symbol of advertising. I'm sure that this is done in all of our professional sports. I'm black, and yes, I think that issues are screwed up here in America. Not for just us, but for everybody. If you think everyone is treated the same, then maybe you have a problem. Two people in the media have been right on point. Shannon Sharpe and Howie Long. For those of you saying that people are mixing sport and politics. Think about it. They've always been tied together. Billions of dollars are not circulated without the government hands on it. I'm a Falcons Fan, and I'm true to myself. 

51 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

Is it really honoring the flag to involve it in an entertainment arena?

People forget that before 9/11 the national anthem was no longer being shown on tv. Instead that time was used to make extra money showing commercials.

Vogelgryff likes this

7 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

I said some and others... not all the others...

You may be doing the same as to them as well. Just ask us and we’ll be happy to tell you why we hold a position sir.

6 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Like Bill Cosby or Ben Carson or Eddie Murphy, or.................................Walter Williams. Check him out.

LLOL!!!!!! Bill? Ben? Really???? LMAO!!!!!! Eddie? Dude, them guys STILL is black in America and America don't have a problem showing them they're STILL beneath you. 

I could give you examples of how America takes black's monies and dignity to show them that they're still black.

9 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Are you trying to uncover my lack of courage, by bringing up work? 

Have you you ever had the courage to to risk $100 dollars on something you believe in? A $1,000 if you had it? 

That is exactly what these players are doing, they are putting their money where their mouth is. You want to talk about courageous, those players that take a knee on Sunday, are some of the most courageous people you are ever going to see. Maybe that is why they have made it as far as they have? You can question a lot of things about them, but not their courage for what they believe in!

Okay, I can respect that although I disagree. They have our attention now. Let’s see what they do off the field.

14 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Educate brother!!! Educate!!!

A Brief History of Slavery and the  The Origins of American Policing

Written by Victor E. Kappeler, Ph.D.

The birth and development of the American police can be traced to a multitude of historical, legal and political-economic conditions. The institution of slavery and the control of minorities, however, were two of the more formidable historic features of American society shaping early policing. Slave patrols and Night Watches, which later became modern police departments, were both designed to control the behaviors of minorities. For example, New England settlers appointed Indian Constables to police Native Americans (National Constable Association, 1995), the St. Louis police were founded to protect residents from Native Americans in that frontier city, and many southern police departments began as slave patrols. In 1704, the colony of Carolina developed the nation's first slave patrol. Slave patrols helped to maintain the economic order and to assist the wealthy landowners in recovering and punishing slaves who essentially were considered property.

http://plsonline.eku.edu/insidelook/brief-history-slavery-and-origins-american-policing

And now they're STILL trying to control us by trying to make us "Stand".

The United States ended slavery, which had been going on foe centuries, and is still active in Africa and the middle east. Africans raided European countries for slaves.

3 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

LLOL!!!!!! Bill? Ben? Really???? LMAO!!!!!! Eddie? Dude, them guys STILL is black in America and America don't have a problem showing them they're STILL beneath you. 

I could give you examples of how America takes black's monies to show them that they're still black.

What?

Here's what really gets me about all this. I really do care about the inner city black families though hat cannot get out of the cycle of poverty. I feel it's the civil rights problem of our time. And I take action to help many of these families.

But the police are about 1% of their problem. The politicians running these cities do NOTHING about black on black crime that kills thousands more each year than an errant bad cop. The bad cop needs to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but what again about all the kids being killed in the inner cities by each other? That problem is EXPONENTIALLY WORSE and it gets little attention and certainly little action to stop it.

The news media reports the 2 shootings a year of a cop shooting an unarmed person over and over for months, but doesn't report the LITERALLY TENS OF THOUSANDS OF MURDERS OF BLACK MEN THAT OCCUR EVERY YEAR in our inner cities. 

Just now, Tim Mazetti said:

The United States ended slavery, which had been going on foe centuries, and is still active in Africa and the middle east. Africans raided European countries for slaves.

Please, this about modern day slavery. 

51voKMEIjOL.jpg

1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Protests doesnt mean you disrespect your national flag / anthem by sitting down...and standing up for other nations national anthem when they went overseas.

These young athletes dont know what it is like to be in other countries....Im a son of immigrant who was raised overseas, now a citizen in this great country for over past  2 decades.

I have been to over 94 countries.....lived for year or less in half of them. 

Theres NO BETTER country than U.S.A!! 

Are we perfect? Absolutely, NO. But, all these issues can be handled before and after our national anthem at right platform being involved in our society and right people.

And these guys act as if they are oppressed and racially abused every waking moment.

Theres NO nation on this planet who accommodates so many different races, allows to practice their religion, express rights in one small fabric of our society and being world leader at the same hand.

#respectyourflag

#nationoverfootball 

I will banish all sports events, team gears if this trend continues...even if its my own Falcons.

See ya. You clearly dont get it and never will apparently.